CMG Reactor problems

charliek

Enlightened
I have a CMG reator that has developed a nasty habit...
It seems to flicker once in a while when I first turn it on, and this is fixed by twisting the head a few times (on and off)- then it's solid. I think I can fix it if I can get the head off and clean the contacts.... but I can't figure out a way to open it up without destroying it. Anyone else come across this problem?

Eric_M

Enlightened
Unfortunately they are not designed to be taken apart. I called CMG and they confirmed it. There have been a couple of threads on how to properly destroy it during disassembly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric

charliek

Enlightened
You'd think they would make a better switch on a flashlight that uses a Luxeon Star..... I reall hesitate to buy any of their other products..... the CMG Infinity Ultra is nice though... That engineer must have quit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rex

Newly Enlightened
I solved my reactor's switch problem by a quick spray of CRC "808" silicone spray (widely available here in New Zealand) down the battery tube, then stretching the tailcap spring a little.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
I had the flickering problem with my Reactor 3AA as well, and now it is back in CMG for repair/replacement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a reactor 2aa with a bad switch (and a GREEN LS) I sent it back, and the switch is "better", but not "good." I do like the CMG Infinity, but the Reactor is in the back of the closet somewhere. This is one of the lessons that tought me the virtue of waiting to read some reviews and comments before spending more that five of ten bucks on a new light.

charliek

Enlightened
I just ended up grabbing the headstock and give it a good workout- on and off- it seems to have cleared up the problem. I still avoid bringing the light with me camping unless I also bring a backup. Not what I'd expect from a $30+ light.

My PT Attitude is still the one I reach for when I need a light I can count on.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gone through a bunch of these. I gave a half dozen 'seconds' away last Christmas. They were the original switch (no click for on). I considered them 'not broken' then, still do. You sometimes had to fiddle with them to get it back on or to stop flickering. It's a flashlight, sometimes they flicker. To a guy that's lived with Lucas electrics in British cars this is normal......

I still run a couple around here on NiMH cells. Yes, they're dim (but often plenty), yes they might be dead or die quickly but there's freshly charged cells at the ready. Suitable for many uses. Ignoring the small cost of electricity to charge the cells (no I haven't set up the solar charger, yet, but I'm collecting the bits) and given the lack of a conventional bulb to replace, they're free light, right? But they are at their best on the Li cells.

The Reactor III is a different matter. Generally very good performance on NiMH, a 'first choice' in this house. We have two.

I've also cut up a few of the $15 ones and pulled out the $15 LS-O with it's neat 'old style' optic. When you do so, it's easy to see why things might flicker. The light depends on a sliding contact against a slot milled in the side wall for negative contact. Has to,. the LED moves up and down within the head as the power is turned on and off. It can also get intermittent if the end isn't screwed securely down.

Again, I guess flashlights have always flickered from time to time in my lifetime. I might even say that my Arc LS and the others that I own that haven't yet just haven't yet. For sure I wouldn't fear it 'packing it in' when camping (although I might have to fiddle with it), it far far more reliable than it's predecessors.

Doug Owen

charliek

Enlightened
I know what you mean about Lucas Electricals- I had a '70 BSA Motorcycle. I took the reactor camping with me last weekend- I used it on the trails- still had my PT in my pocket, though.
It lit the trail well- only had to "whack & shake" it once all weekend.
I'm impressed with the LS Diodes- perhaps I'll get another in a future light. (the 1W lights look good) It's a real shame about that switch- it it wasn't for that flaw, it would be a great light.

JJHitt

Enlightened
Rex: WOW... Silicone spray WORKED.
I wish I knew WHY it worked, and it sure made the light a lot harder to turn on and off, but it worked.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LED-FX said:
Off Topic, but in UK,Joe Lucas founder of Lucas Electrical is known as the Prince of Darkness...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I hear. More, the Brit taste for warm beer comes from the days when Lucas made refrigerators.....

Doug Owen