First post, first real flashlight

twoblackdogz

Newly Enlightened
I came across this forum yesterday while researching which flashlight to buy. I never knew all this existed! I was just looking for a good flashlight to have around the house and to use when taking my dogs out in the dark. I ordered a Streamlight TT 3C. I hope I like it. Previously I was using a $1 plastic thing from the dollar store /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Now I am thinking of getting an Arc AAA also, to have something smaller to carry with me.

How many flashlights do I need anyway?

I'll be browsing this forum.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
<!---RUN AWAY NOW AND HIDE YOUR WALLET--->

Hm, my subconscious is acting up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Welcome to CPF! That's definitely not going to be your last flashlight purchase... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need as many as your credit card will take /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Welcome to CPF

gadgetnut

Enlightened
Twoblackdogz, welcome. I think you made a wise purchase with the SL TT 3C. If I were buying one for the purposes you mentioned, that's the one I'd get as well. If size and weight ever become an issue, check out the 2L model. Walking the dogs, heh? Lemme guess, they're balck and you have two of them...right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

twoblackdogz

Newly Enlightened
Yes, two black dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for the welcome. It sounds like I got the right light. Wow - how heavy is it? I hope it isn't a monster! OK - now being a flashlight newbie, I need to ask - is this light bright enough to harm my dogs if they happen to look at it? I'm just trying to keep track of them in the yard while they "do their thing" you know. I understand there are three settings on the light. Would it be best (safest) to use the LED settings? Is the Xenon bright enough to be harmful? I haven't got the light yet. Just ordered it today from Brightguy.
Thanks, Tammy

Turt

Enlightened
Something that I have observed with my dog... He really doesn't like LED's shined at his face, but he seems pretty indifferent to xenon lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

By the way... RUN!!! You got a good light you don't need another one! (There goes my common sense again) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
WELCOME to CPF Tammy!

Hide your wallet!!!

If I had found CPF WAY earlier in life, I just MIGHT not have right around 100 lights!!!

But thanks to CPF, I have at least 10-12 GOOD lights!

The 3C isn't TOO heavy... but I carry a 2L (2x123A) as an EDC light. I like them both, in fact the whole Twin Task series!!! I don't have a 2D but do have all the rest!

As to all 100 lights... I don't know where all of them are!!!

twoblackdogz

Newly Enlightened
Well I think I know where my $1 plastic thing from dollar store is going after I get my TT3C - in the trash! Now, I've been reading this forum and don't know if my next light should be the Arc AAA or AA....
Tammy

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. If the 3C is anything like the 2D then as PJS mentioned it's not too heavy but it is a very solidly built light. I don't have any dogs so I don't know the answer to the "light in the eyes" question, but I'd think that as long as you didn't keept it directly in their eyes for any length of time then it'd be all right. I'm not sure what the Arc AA is that you referred to, but the Arc AAA is a very good light to carry on your person--very bright yet not too bulky. And yes, I think that your $1 "light" will be going into the trash soon after the 3C arrives. Enjoy your stay here.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Tammy,

I got a box from bright guy today. the contents? A SL TT 3C and TT 1L both in titanium. I will deliver them to my mother's friend tonight. My impressions of the 3C from just touching and holding it while its in the package. Its not as big as I thought it would be. I was expecting something along the lines of 3D, it is a bit thinner (hence C batteries. Its a good "sized" light for home use, I will find out the beam quality tonight.

You can't go wrong with the SL TT series. I have a titanium 1L (I had a faulty one and brightguy took care of it and sent me a new one), mother and father each have a black 1L, and throw a Scorpion in there. I really like the quality of the SL products. I think my SL Scorpion will be retired from EDC and be used for home, I took my PM6 on my belt in its sheath on a 3 hour shopping and 3 hour travel trip today (NYC transit system) and found it very comfortable. I didn't know it was even there.

The 3C just doesn't compare to my 6D maglite in size. Try losing a 6D maglite, lol I have yet to lose it, its just so big.

As said above hide you're wallet and move away from CPF, it'll become an addiction. I have one credit card specifically used for my flashlight purchases. Ending balance this month is $320 or so.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think you'll be fine with the light you picked.. i wouldn't reccomend shining any LED or xenon light into any animal's eyes, but if they happen to glance at it for a second then they'll be fine..
and i reccomend you try the higher LED setting for the walking.. altho you might prefer the xenon beam if it's not dark enough for the LEDs..

and i see everyone's already warned you that you might end up spending more than you planned for.. (flashlights are too practical to overlook)

so, welcome to the site..

twoblackdogz

Newly Enlightened
Zenghost, I read about the Arc AA somewhere else on this forum and it is a soon to be released Arc that runs on a AA, if I understand that correctly. For those who know, what is the advantage over the AAA? Brighter, or is it the longer battery life? Jason, the 3C I ordered is titanium too. I am glad to hear it isn't too big.

Have a question about terms and abbreviations I have seen. What does EDC mean, and what are "mods"?
Tammy

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Welcome to CPF,
The ARC AA has longer run time & can use lithium batteries.
EDC = Every Day Carry
Mods are Modified flashlights

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought my first real flashlight was the CC Trek Light. I thought it was pretty good, until one of the LEDs went into permanent strobing. (No resistors on those) Then a friend of mine pointed out the Lightwave 4000 in a catalog to me. The ones I bought were via ebay. I consider the LW 4000 to be my first real flashlight (old tech flashlights don't count). I found CPF via my search for LED flashlights, via LED Museom and Arc Flashlight website.

Welcome to CPF!! Looks like you made a carefully considered purchase. I do that myself: look at my needs, then see what fits those needs. Consider those and make a decision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will have to add the warning: It is all downhill from here. This is not a 'kick the habit' community. It is a Feed the Addiction community. Extremely dangerous to your finances!! The upside is the lights are high quality and reliable, plus very practical.

Have fun learning on here (and posting). Beware, you can't stop at 1, or 2, or 3, or ...... you get the idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
welcome to CPF

I own an arc AAA and will be buying the AA as soon as is available.
I believe that the AAA is an awsome light. I will probably be buying a second one before the year is over.

this is a serious addiction specially if you have credit cards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

1581zebra

Newly Enlightened
you'll like the 3c... i keep one in my truck for work. i read on here somewhere recently that white leds are bad for your eyes, but i doubt if a quick glance would hurt anything. i have learned this... buy the nice stuff first, then you dont have to waste your money on the junk that just gets thrown out. that said... watch your wallet! they are addictive!

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:

I will have to add the warning: It is all downhill from here. This is not a 'kick the habit' community. It is a Feed the Addiction community. Extremely dangerous to your finances!! The upside is the lights are high quality and reliable, plus very practical.

Have fun learning on here (and posting). Beware, you can't stop at 1, or 2, or 3, or ...... you get the idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, Charles...

Hi Tammy...!

Welcome aboard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

twoblackdogz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone! Maybe I will get the Arc AAA and then the Arc AA when it comes out. Uh oh....
Glad to know a quick glance at the light won't hurt my dogs. I don't plan to shine it in their eyes, just wanted to make sure it was not a real danger. Got a laugh out of that one post where the guy was camping and put the light up to his face then turned it on <g>
Do a lot of people here buy their lights from Brightguy? What about ebay? What are some good sources for lights?
Tammy