Eagletac T20C2MK2 how do i make low stay set?

molon_labe

Newly Enlightened
I have this light. If I tighten the head its turbo bright. If I loosen its medium. The manual says tight loose tight under 1 second makes low. Yes it does but how do I make it stay as the "loose" setting? I want tight=high and loose=low.

shipwreck

Enlightened
You cannot reprogram an eagletac. Sorry. Med is the lowest you can have by default when you first turn it on. Sorry

jcalvert

Enlightened
You cannot reprogram an eagletac. Sorry. Med is the lowest you can have by default when you first turn it on. Sorry

I have this light. If I tighten the head its turbo bright. If I loosen its medium. The manual says tight loose tight under 1 second makes low. Yes it does but how do I make it stay as the "loose" setting? I want tight=high and loose=low.

Hi molon,

Since you now know that the T20 doesn't have last mode memory, I would return it or exchange for a light with similar characteristics. After much research, I settled on the Olight M20 Warrior S (special ops) version w/ the additional side switch or you can go with the standard M20 Warrior.

http://www.olightusa.com/products.asp?c1id=5

These lights are almost identical to the T20, but the XPG-R5 on the Olight (at least with mine) is brighter than the T20 and it has last mode memory. If interested, PM me and I'll give you my recommended source for this light and their CPF discount code. I hope this helps!

John

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. That is my one big problem with this light.

+1

I find the ET's very attractive, especially with the nice included accessories package they give you and the availability of the filter kit and that they screw into the bezel.

But the lack of a low-low and programmability really ruin the deal for me. :(

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm like shipwreck...I prefer a high and medium mode and like the ability to switch between the 2 just by twisting the head. I prefer this type of UI much more than having to click multiple times, even if the light has memory.
For the M20s, keep in mind that it has visible PWM at the low and medium modes. The standard M20 doesn't. I prefered the M20s over the M20 until I found out about the visible (pretty low frequency, about 100Hz I think) switching frequency.
Other similar lights in this class are the Jetbeam RRT-2 and Dereelight CL1H V4...both use XPG R5s.

jcalvert

Enlightened
I'm like shipwreck...I prefer a high and medium mode and like the ability to switch between the 2 just by twisting the head. I prefer this type of UI much more than having to click multiple times, even if the light has memory.
For the M20s, keep in mind that it has visible PWM at the low and medium modes. The standard M20 doesn't. I prefered the M20s over the M20 until I found out about the visible (pretty low frequency, about 100Hz I think) switching frequency.
Other similar lights in this class are the Jetbeam RRT-2 and Dereelight CL1H V4...both use XPG R5s.

In my research for a replacement to the T20, including the RRT-2 and the CL1H V4, I understood the PWM flicker was a possibility, so I asked other owners of their experience with feedback ranging from little to no flicker. So I went ahead and placed an order knowing I could get a free exchange for the M20 standard. But I have zero flicker issues on any mode, which is nice.

As for changing modes, having the T20 and the Maelstrom G5 right here to compare with the M20S side by side, in my exerience, I can switch modes a bit faster by clicking the side switch (despite having to run through the low and strobe modes), than I can by turning the bezel on either of the other two and I can do it one-handed.

Additionally, the M20S's 320 lumen rating must be OTF compared to the T20's 300 OTF rating, because that's what my eyes would suggest is the brightness difference in favor of the M20S.

Plus the bonus feature I really appreciate with the M20S is that it provides a measure of safety assurance for my wife and kids, none of whom are flashoholics or even technically adept, in that all of them can reach for the light, feel for the side switch in order to activate the strobe without having to worry about pressing the tactical switch first. Like any form of self defense, it takes a little practice, but I showed them how to position the light in their hand using the pocket clip as a reference point and for added grip, in order to find the side switch quickly. It works, as they are able to accomplish this with very little effort and that gives me peace of mind.

As much as I really liked my T20 and the ability to switch out drop-ins, in real world practice, I realized that when I had another drop-in available, I would have preferred to purchase a second or third T20 for the different modules. But the T20's Q4 neutral was not of great interest to me vs. the cooler tint of the XPG-R5 and the Maelstrom G5 blows away the T20's R2 drop-in, so there's no need for that one. Factor in no last mode memory, which meant waking up my wife in the middle of the night if I wanted to use the T20 vs. having a moonlight mode already set on the M20S or M20 for those that have that model. I don't like to get yelled at in the middle of the night if I can avoid it.

Last, the M20S has the same accessories kit as the ET T20C2MKII, but also has a cool carrying case (albeit unnecessary), with a better battery carrier for use with CR123s. Olight also offers colored diffuser filters as well, but you don't need to take the time to remove the tactical bezel ring to screw on a color filter as with the T20. Finally, the T20's pocket clip is useless as it comes off very easily whereas the M20S's is solidly attached.

The bottom line is, "to each his own", but for me the M20S is far superior to the T20 in every way that I need for a general purpose light. The fact that it was designed with LEO's in mind, means I can also mount the M20S on my rifles if desired, like the T20, which is also nice.

Disclaimer: This layman's review is provided based on my experience alone, yours may be different, so see your doctor before purchasing this light. Oh come on, that's a little funny!
hahaha.gif

John

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely understand that everyone has their own preference for the UI. I'm not concerned with the speed of changing modes. More that I can reliably get to a certain mode all the time. I like leaving my lights on high and with a twist interface, I can leave it tightened to get high all the time. This includes times when I just want to quickly flash and then happen to need to flash again, which in a multimode click light would change modes (and it annoys me when they switch into strobe). Plus, non-flashaholics tend to push the switch shortly and accidentally (unknowingly) switch modes. The more tech adept (younger) crowd will learn not to do this, but the older ones without backgrounds in tech stuff have a hard time (i.e. my parents).

jcalvert

Enlightened
I completely understand that everyone has their own preference for the UI. I'm not concerned with the speed of changing modes. More that I can reliably get to a certain mode all the time. I like leaving my lights on high and with a twist interface, I can leave it tightened to get high all the time. This includes times when I just want to quickly flash and then happen to need to flash again, which in a multimode click light would change modes (and it annoys me when they switch into strobe). Plus, non-flashaholics tend to push the switch shortly and accidentally (unknowingly) switch modes. The more tech adept (younger) crowd will learn not to do this, but the older ones without backgrounds in tech stuff have a hard time (i.e. my parents).

I respect your position as well as I really liked my T20, but with the M20S, you can leave it in high as well, or low, or medium, or strobe, whatever the need may be and I can switch the mode in an instant with one hand or use the forward clicky for a quick flash in any mode. That's why last mode memory is so important to so many.

The tactical switch on the M20S doesn't accidently switch modes and the side switch is cleverly designed to avoid this as well. Like I described with my non-tech family members, the UI is easy to operate without issues.

Between us though, we give interested on-lookers opposing view points to consider, and that's a good thing. I sincerely appreciate your value-added feedback. I'm sure others do as well! So I thank you jsr!

Time to get to bed and wake up my wife!
naughty.gif

All the best,
John

Last edited:

shipwreck

Enlightened
jcalvert;3548079 Factor in no last mode memory said:
waking up my wife in the middle of the night[/I] if I wanted to use the T20 vs. having a moonlight mode already set on the M20S or M20 for those that have that model. I don't like to get yelled at in the middle of the night if I can avoid it.

My T20C2 is mounted on 1 of my rifles... But I carry my P20C2 Mk II everyday. It has the same exact user interface. It is the same lumen output, but is smaller and does more flood than throw...

However, for nightstand use, I use an Eagletac T20C2 Mk II. It's also almost 1/2 the price of the T20...

It only has 2 modes, and the lower setting is perfect for nightstand use - it won't blind me in the middle of the night with it's lower setting. It is brighter than that moonlight mode fo the T20 - but I like the little extra brightness.

On high mode, the T100C2 Mk II throws pretty far. It's not as bright as the T20 on max. But it's over 200 lumens (I forget the exact #), and it throws almost as far as the T20, IMHO.