What vehicles use leds?

unclearty

Enlightened
I know some car manufacturers are now using leds in their lighting designs. Do any of these companies use Luxeons??? I'm just thinking that if any vehicles do use them, there might be a pretty good source for used leds at body shops... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
The first car to use them was the 1999 Cadillac Deville, so unless you see a lot of 1999 and newer wrecked high end Luxury cars...

As far as I know nobody uses Luxeons. There have been some used in prototype vehicles but nothing production, yet.

**EDIT**
They have been used in third stop lights for a long time on lots of cars. The Deville was the first to use them for *all* the brake lights.

LukeK

Enlightened
The Infinity G35 coupe and sedan both use LED's in their taillight clusters.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
All 2004 BMWs - every light, not counting headlights. And MB S and SL class.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also heard of the MB Maybach using LED's, *think* like 500 for the tail lights. I may be wrong, but I got a glimpse of it in one of those car magazines while I was in the waiting room of my doctor.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Around here, buses are outfitted with LED tail and brake lights. I've also seen some delivery trucks that used both red and amber LEDs on their back ends.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of buses in London and increasingly round the country have all-LED tail lights. Asides the white reversing lamp and the rear red fog lamp (US vehicles don`t have those as far as I know). I`ve also seen articulated trailors with LED clusters at the rear, and a great many have red rear, amber side and white front Marker lights consisting usually of 4 or 5 SnapLEDs.

Bad photo alert.

minicam57.jpg

They`re LEDs, honest. Brake lights and amber turnsignals, but they do come in other configurations too.

Taken with a camera the size of a matchbox.....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Chris,

Actually most European inport cars *do* have the rear red foglight, our Volvo included. Do they turn on on both sides over there? Over here they're usually disabled on the passanger side (Due to some stupid DOT regulartion) but in many cases it's simply a matter of breaking out a tab and adding a bulb to make both sides work--the wiring is usually there.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard somewhere they weren`t legal over there and had to be disabled completely? Maybe it`s only in some states.

Here, legally there`s only a requirement to have one red fog lamp (right/driver`s side) and one white reversing lamp (left/passenger side or occasionally central). You can see them in the photo of the bus up there, down at the bottom. Personally I think that`s silly and not entirely safe either - no redundancy if the bulb burns out, and not as clear to see if you`re approaching from the side.

Most cars have reversing lamps on both sides and many have rear fog lamps both sides too though. Now and then I see one that looks like it should have two fog lamps but one side is blanked internally, just having a matching lens to balance out the appearence I guess. Why they can`t stick a bulb there too if the lens is already present is anyone`s guess. Cost perhaps....?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Willmore

Enlightened
No, you heard right, Chris, they're illegal in the states, but I often see them used. Normally inappropriately. Like Doug S says, something a smart lawyer can use to get the guy who rear ended you off.

Be careful.

Saw the 2004 BMWs at the dealer and wondered if I can get a set of tail lights like that put into my 2001.....