3D Xenon Flashlight by Craftsman in Sears?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i saw a 3d xenon light in sears that looked very similar to a maglite design.. i was wondering if anyone had seen it, or even better, used one, and could tell me if it's worth the 18 bucks. thanks

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
it even has a led indicator light to tell you when there's more than 50% of the power left, 50-25% left, and under 25% left..

03493663000-dlv.jpg

aww c'mon.

Edit: i found a link on their website..
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1461036753.1062123134@@@@&BV_EngineID=cciiadcjfdleghicehgcemgdffmdflf.0&vertical=SEARS&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=03493663000

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
I had the 2D version of this light briefly and was dissappointed with it. The focus was kind of funky on mine, and wouldn't focus that tight. It did seem to have a greatly reduced black hole effect on wide focus. The threads also didn't feel to smooth, on the tailcap,bezel, or bulb holder. This is one of 2 lights I've disliked enough to return. I mainly purchased it to use with an EverLed as it is good at keeping the heat away from the EverLed. But even with it's few positives I think your $18 could be better spent elsewhere.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has a big aluminum "heatsink" for the bulb, so though the build quality isn't up to Mag standards, it makes a great host for an EverLED or Epieon. And, if you get a "funky" one, Sears will exchange it for a new one.

Personally, mine works fine and I'm happy with it.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a couple of the rubber tool lights (3D and 4AA ).

All are I believe built by Dorcy. The ones I have are nice!

The metal Dorcys I have had had the worst reflectors of any light I ever saw.

These MAY be different, but hold on to your reciept just in case!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I ran out of time earlier.

I wanted to expound on my experience with Dorcy Aluminum Lights.

I had a 2D that I tried everything within my power, 3C, Writeright etc. It would never do right. I kinda forgot about it.

Then at some point I got a Sears Craftsman 3D (pre battery condition). Same deal. 4C and Writeright made it barely decent.

Months later I got a 3LED replacement bulb off Ebay. I tried it in several lights, finally settling on the 3D. It made a still VERY funky beam. So I got to playing around and found that it works best with that LED bulb with no reflector whatsoever! I played around with that reflector on some different lights and found it to be THE problem with these lights. When I figure out how to mod a Carley 1940 reflector, I'll try it in the Dorcy. No, come to think of it the design won't allow me to use the Carley as a test in that light wihout making it useless for the M*g I intend to use it in.

Anyhow, they are not a terrible light overall. They just have about the worst reflector known to man!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, i could sorta tell.. but i thought it'd be at least as decent as a minimag beam..

i'm still tempted to pick it up and get someone to mod it for me.

i doubt i will tho..

drats. it looked awesome with the battery led..

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Get the 3D or 4AA Rubber light. It won't need modding to have a great beam, but might need it to have a really bright beam. I actually have a 2LED replacement in my 4AA, and my 3D is bone stock so it will be reliable. The power indicator is nice too!

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't try the bulb much, but the EverLED's side emitter design seems to work quite well in the 3D Craftsman. The reflector is kinda cheesy so I was a bit surprised.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Do you mean the Craftsman 3D Alum. or the 3D Rubber???

BIG HONKING DIFFERENCE!!!!

I didn't try my Everled in the Alum. 3D before I smoked it. Actually never got it into the rubber 3D either, but am convinced it would have been VERY good or even GREAT!

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The aluminum one. I assumed that was the topic because of the BIG HONKING picture of one a few posts up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do like the rubber 4D lantern. Not especially heat-sunk, but works with EverLEDs and has good balance in the hand. Shame the indicator has useless set-points and draws 40mA. What it's useful for, with incandescents, is letting you know quite clearly whether your bulb just blew.

Latest posts