Fenix or 4Seven?

merkel

Newly Enlightened
I have narrowed my search down to either 4Seven or Fenix on the brand. Who makes the better lights in regards to quality? If the quality wa the same which brand would you go with as a general overall selection and why?

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
of late, 4Sevens' products is getting better built quality as can be seen from their latest releases like Preon ReVO (and also reflected in their price... tho there are no direct relation between the two :naughty:)...
as for Fenix, I think lately they are at another stage of product experimentation as can be seen from most of their latest release in LD and E series...

I would say 4Sevens is maturing from their youth while Fenix is in mid-life crisis... :nana:

lawson4450

Newly Enlightened
I have a fenix light and i like it alot it gets a little hot though if you leave it on to long but other then that very bright and works great.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to me like 4Sevens has a better pulse on what we, on CPF, like in a flashlight than Fenix. They both make great products so choosing one flashlight from either company would be a difficult decision. For me, though, it would be easy since I don't care for the flashy modes and have only used them to annoy coworkers, so far, so I have only bought 4Sevens lights between these two choices.

Nokoff

Enlightened
since you don't mention a specific torch... I would not get hung up on brand loyalty...they both have their good and other ones...get a Fenix TK40...it's of the highest quality and a do-it-all type light, and with AA batteries...you will compare all others against it once you own it...spend your money on the torch, not just the brand, mix it up, the selection out there is unbelievable

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you ask, because they are so close in so many ways, when leaving the house, it doesn't make any difference which I throw in my pocket. I've tried to grow into a preference, and I have been unable to after over a year. So I can't help you, they are just too close.

tandem

Enlightened
If you've decided for some reason that your purchase will be a product from either of these two companies, I would base your decision on the specifics of the actual flashlight models you are considering.

4Sevens also sells Fenix lights and are probably one of the leading internet sales sites for Fenix (just my guess). Fenix has a broader product range so some requirement sets you could dream up might have a Fenix solution available with none available from 4Sevens. You can still deal with 4Sevens and buy the Fenix then.

Maybe one or the other will have more of your "must have or nice to have" features. For example some really like the "moon mode" available in 4Sevens lights and that seals the deal in that case. Others might prefer the leading output and runtimes available from the LD10 or LD20 on common AA cells so that points you to Fenix, unless Lithium AA primaries are important to you then you might be looking at a Quark. In the end deciding isn't that hard, but deciding what really is important to you can be.

Figure out what your most important requirements are and then base your decision on that. Either brand will undoubtedly make you happy, and chances are once you've experienced one of these high quality high output lights, you'll find that some "requirements" you expected would be important to you aren't actually that important while others you may not have considered at all may later present themselves. That's when you get round to buying light number two, and that one might not be from either maker.

merkel

Newly Enlightened
I have some experience with the TK40 as I purchased one late last year and love it for a utility. I am looking for flashlight that uses AA batteries with the most lumens in a smaller size of roughly 5-6" long. How does the TK11 orTK12 compare to the Quarks as they look so close?

tandem

Enlightened
I am looking for flashlight that uses AA batteries with the most lumens in a smaller size of roughly 5-6" long. How does the TK11 orTK12 compare to the Quarks as they look so close?

The TK11 or TK12 are part of Fenix's heavily built "tank" series of tactical lights. Some folks swear by them. Neither the TK11 nor TK12 can be run off AA cells -- instead you need to use disposable CR123's (x 2) or rechargeable lithium ion 18650 cells (x1).

If you are comparing AA driven lights you need to look at the Fenix LD10 (1 AA) / LD20 (2 AA) (or the LD15 and a number of other models) or Quark AA / Quark AA2 or Quark Turbo AA (2 AA) or the Quark MiNi AA (1 AA).

I believe at this writing the Fenix LD10 R4 is the current output/runtime champion if brightest light on AA rechargeable and disposable alkaline cells is your primary objective. If you want the longest possible runtime at the lowest possible output, then the Quark AA is your choice. If you want a mix of features either will probably make you happy.