Looking for help deciding between two lights

Bruceter

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I am looking at getting either a Fenix TK40 or TK45 and would like some input. I'm not sure which one of these would be the right choice for me. I am looking for throw mainly. Would the larger reflector of the TK40 throw farther than the TK45 even though it has a lower output?

TIA

Bruceter

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK45 is pure flood. Get the tk40 if you want some throw. The tk40 still does not have a ton of throw - just more than the tk45. Not sure how much throw you are looking for.

chris23

Newly Enlightened
I don't own either but it seems from the review pics posted on here that tk40 has more throw, I would buy the tk45 though since it's newer and I like the UI and design, then later on down the road buy the tk40 if I think I need it

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was toying with both in the store, I bought the TK40 because it was on sale,
Though the TK45's switch I liked more. If there's a local store or a friend has one try one out.
Or buy both ;)

joe1512

Enlightened
There seem to be some assumptions built in that you want to use AA batteries? If so the TK40 is your best choice.

There are other lights in that price range that are better throwers. They use 18650 specialty batteries. If you are willing to research these and learn how to use them, then this will open up a LOT more choices.

In fact, check the sticky and there should be large light roundup with the Thrunight Catapult and other 'big lights'.

Is there a particular reason why you want all this crazy throw?

Bruceter

Newly Enlightened
I do want to use AA batteries as I already have a bunch of eneloops and a charger for them. I really don't want to get into another type of battery at this time.

I had a chance to try out the TK40 on a passaround over at Bladeforums and liked the size and the multiple levels of light. As for the throw question. I don't have a light with "crazy throw" and would like to fill that hole in my collection.

Bruceter

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
itp polestar might be another option.

Last edited: