Need a small light for a firefighter. Advice please

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, one of our local cops who is also a firefighter asked me to find him a small light that he can mount under his helmet that will give him some good light with a tight beam and that'll be able to handle the heat.
His max budget is 75 bucks and I guess it needs to be fairly small.

If there's anything out there, links would be much appreciated.

Thanks

George

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Surefire G2X or 6PX, both 200 lumens. And under 80 dollars.
If you wanna go smaller the Fenix PD30 is a great light.
I saw a Tiablo A7 in the 4Sevens garage sale section of there sight but I've never owned a Tiablo build quality.
Surefire and Fenix are solid, I own multiples of both brands :)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If you haven't yet found a suitable answer, you might want to send a PM to 'tundratrader', who started this thread here recently. I think this has been an application he has pursued, if not at the exact price or feature set that you are looking for?

Good luck,
K

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
As a firefighter, a light can make the difference between surviving and dying. I know it may sound naive but I'd say $75 might be a bit too cheap to put your life on the line with. The cost of a life is far more than anything money can buy.

But if $75 is all that I have, I'd go with a Surefire 6PX Pro. It's not exactly $75 but it's a very solid light. You can have him get the single mode for $69 if battery life doesn't bother him.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I agree price shouldn't be a big issue for this purpose but hey, it's not for me. Sure, I might talk him into more money but then, I don't want him to think I'm trying to sell him something or make money off of him which I'm not.

Should he not get the Nitrolon version instead for smaller chance of burning himself? I see him melting before the light does..

Do you guys know if I can run them with two R123's from AW instead? (Protected)

Thanks

George

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Do you guys know if I can run them with two R123's from AW instead? (Protected)
Absolutely, in no way whatsoever, should an emergency-use flashlight be used with 2x RCR123's. Upon cell depletion (which will happen rather rapidly with two cells of such small real-world capacity), the protection circuit on one of the cells will trigger, immediately taking the light from 100% output to zero output, with no dimming prior to this. Either use 2x CR123 primaries for considerably greater reliability, or 1x 17670/18650 rechargeables which dim gradually as the single (large) cell depletes, providing considerable prior warning.

Either of these configurations will be more inherently reliable, will provide greater runtime, and will provide dimming prior to cell depletion. Unlike 2x RCR123, which I wouldn't even use in a non-critical application, let alone an emergency-related application.

chanjyj

Enlightened
Absolutely, in no way whatsoever, should an emergency-use flashlight be used with 2x RCR123's. Upon cell depletion (which will happen rather rapidly with two cells of such small real-world capacity), the protection circuit on one of the cells will trigger, immediately taking the light from 100% output to zero output, with no dimming prior to this. Either use 2x CR123 primaries for considerably greater reliability, or 1x 17670/18650 rechargeables which dim gradually as the single (large) cell depletes, providing considerable prior warning.

Either of these configurations will be more inherently reliable, will provide greater runtime, and will provide dimming prior to cell depletion. Unlike 2x RCR123, which I wouldn't even use in a non-critical application, let alone an emergency-related application.

Kestrel, I'd beg to differ. Saying that RCR123s cut off immediately is a rather sweeping statement.

It depends on the light, not battery type. Some lights eg HDS EDC (Ra Clicky) actually monitor the cell and gracefully step down.

The original TK11 (not R2 version) also stepped down slowly.

I've been using the Ra 170T as an emergency light and it works fine.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the surefire's mentioned above should be a good fit for him so what about those?

George

umc

Enlightened
I have a Cairns 1010 fire helmet and use a Surefire G2L but I took out the P60 and put in a Malkoff M60L and I have it mounted with a BlackJack Helmet Mount and love this setup.

I have thought about the newer multimode "fire" lights surefire offers but am turned off each time I think about it and the two main reasons are that when I need the thing to work, I need it to work and come on now, not have to mess around with multiple light levels, I don't want to click through modes. Also, I need it easy to be able to turn it on and when you're wearing fire gloves a twist is easier than a click IMHO.

One level simplicity is important as much as easy on/off and this setup accomplishes that.

The BlackJack Mount puts the light right where I need it and helps protect it by not having it sit up high on the helmet.

As far as the Malkoff is concerned, it's not necessary but I like the extra lumens out of the M60L over the standard offering from surefire plus it's easier on the batteries.

At least with that light, he can always upgrade with a dropin later if so deemed necessary.

This has been a solid setup for me.

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
Well, the surefire's mentioned above should be a good fit for him so what about those?

George

think a review is needed for that, considering the fact that it's hardly in the hands of CPFers.

Actually I'd be hesitant to recommend a brand new untested light.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Kestrel, I'd beg to differ. Saying that RCR123s cut off immediately is a rather sweeping statement. It depends on the light, not battery type. [...]
In my post above I referred to 2x RCR123's exclusively. I don't know of a light that takes two RCR123's (in series) down gracefully.
I believe the Ra's that you are referring to are single cell lights? Definitely a different situation, the OP was also referring to 2x RCR123's I believe.

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
In my post above I referred to 2x RCR123's exclusively. I don't know of a light that takes two RCR123's (in series) down gracefully.
I believe the Ra's that you are referring to are single cell lights? Definitely a different situation, the OP was also referring to 2x RCR123's I believe.

Sorry Kestrel. Misread your post. Seem to being doing that rather recently :ohgeez:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel, or whatever rechargeable would go into those surefires..

George

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lifetime warranty on surefires, the newer G2X and 6PX are not moddable, as the heads are glued on. A G2 with a click tailcap and a quality drop in is how to go.
I'm a city maintenance worker and my Surefire 6P defender with a Nailbender Sst-50 illuminates everything infront of me. Malkoff makes some great drop-ins too. I have a G2 with a nailbender P7 as a backup. Might be overkill, but I don't work with a partner and find myself in condemned buildings.
So I want to see everything

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lifetime warranty on surefires, the newer G2X and 6PX are not moddable, as the heads are glued on. A G2 with a click tailcap and a quality drop in is how to go.
I'm a city maintenance worker and my Surefire 6P defender with a Nailbender Sst-50 illuminates everything infront of me. Malkoff makes some great drop-ins too. I have a G2 with a nailbender P7 as a backup. Might be overkill, but I don't work with a partner and find myself in condemned buildings.
So I want to see everything

How high a temperature is nitrolon rated to?