Difference of pentium and celeron ????

TOB9595

Enlightened
OK folks I have a friend that wants a new computer. She's cheaper than dirt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I don't know what the limitations of the celeron is compared to the pentium.
She will use it for pedestrian stuff, web use cable modem, light use, no games.
No heavy video, just web stuff really.
How bout the onboard sound and video system?
She does well with a p2 450, 128 meg ram now. She won't let me upgrade the ram. GO FIGURE.
Tom

Saaby

Flashaholic
Celeron probably good enough for her or, gasp, a eMac and a iSight...

LukeK

Enlightened
The newest celerons are based upon the Pentium IV and, with the right motherboard, you can easily switch to a PIV if you like later on. The Celerons, while based upon the PIV, have far less on-die cache. For your friend's needs -- just go with the Celeron. Or, *gasp*, the cheap but powerful AMD XP! All of this depends on how much you want to spend. Because you will be moving to a different processor you will be getting a new motherboard. Many of these come with onboard audio which will easily suffice for this situation.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Intel started the Celeron line to sell the Pentiums that failed onboard cache tests. They did the same sort of thing with the 80486 line: The 486SX failed the math coprocessor (onboard) test for the 486DX.

My take on this, is these cpus are functional in all but one non-critical area, and that failed one is disabled. Thus not a total loss.

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
I don't see the reason for upgrade ... P-II 450 / 128 RAM should be more than enough for web / email / etc. Heck, I had a 486 laptop (20 MHz ! / 8 RAM) with win95/IE/Office. Slow, but usable. P-II 450 / 128 RAM should be fast enough - unless you have a lot of bloat installed (including worms/spyware)

TOB9595

Enlightened
You have a point on the upgrade.
She's getting cable modem
Win 98se, doesn't crash
I use this machine sometimes and it is a dog when I have several apps going.
She is tickled pink with the operation of it tho.
Maybe just upgrade the ram to 512 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Change the os to win2k
add ethernet card and she's good to go.
Tom

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
the current P2 system sounds just fine.

my suggtion would be to stick with 98se and add 256mb of ram(in 98se abouve 384mb doesn't help much execpt in Photoshop) and a pci 10/100 nic

if this is her computer and she likes the way its setup don't change the os unless she needs some feature of the w2k os.

Also if she is cheap 256mb pc133 ram is about $30 and a nic is $10-15. $45 sound like a cheap upgrade to me

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with poster's about just increasing the ram and make sure her hard drive is still big enough for her needs. Having said that, I just put together a Celeron (2.2Ghz for like $85) system for my sister and it is very quick for mundane tasks. It uses a motherboard with the Intel 845G chipset and the onboard video is more then adequate for non gaming situations. Also when I upgraded my system from a P3-733mhz to a P4-2.26Ghz last year, I noticed very little improvement in normal tasks such as boot up time, office apps and surfing the web, etc. It was only when playing heavy duty games and doing cpu intensive activities such as ripping divx movies, etc. that the extra speed came into play.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

TOB9595

Enlightened
Yep, That's what I'll do have her keep the machine, put a 10/100 card in and probably only upgrade to 256 ram.
keep 98se and save room for Love in the afternoon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks for all the valuable info guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Yam I enjoyed the read on ram
Tom

RevDavid

Enlightened
I agree with Luke on the AMD XP processor... a real bargain right now with very high performance. But the Celeron would probably do, or boost the ram on the old computer. You will get more performance by getting it out of swap file by several times. Also, consider downloading (free) AD-Aware software to remove spyware. Spyware can leech away a lot of your ram for its own purposes. Let them read the cookies instead!
David <><

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another good spyware detector program is Spybot Search & Destroy. I have used it with very good results. It's a little more clunky than Ad-Aware, but does a nice job. You can find it here......
http://www.safer-networking.org/

And if your a little more adventurous you can try this utility call "Clean System Directory". This is for W95 and W98 only. You can find it here......
http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/index.html#clnsys

mike

look here for all my favorite freeware....
http://www.mikeshelp.com/personal_faves.html

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm doing all the web stuff I really need (DUH! CPF!!!) with a K-5 166mhz AMD and Win95. I'd kill for a P4 450!!!

No really, when I surf CPF (and I'm on dialup so it takes some time) a good 90% of the links work fine. The only thing this 'puter won't do is java stuff like gremlins (I manually type the ones I want to use). And this thing is very nearly GRANITE stable!

I'd LIKE to play Yahoo games at home, but there is only SO much time in a day anyway!

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm only running a K6III+ 450mhz myself. For web browsing a cable or DSL connection would be more of an improvement than any upgrade to the processor. With broadband, there might be lag when viewing Flash sites, movies, or those with lots of animations, but when using dial-up, it takes so long for hte page to download, it's not even noticeable.

K-T

*Moderator*
My PC is a PII 350Mhz and that thing works fine for the stuff I do and have time for (email, browsing, papers, letters, reports, little photo editing). For the last one mentioned I sometimes wish I had a stronger machine but as the money is spent elsewhere and the computer is fine for the rest of the stuff I use I don't consider buying a new one until it someday breaks apart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And it does work fine with broadband connections.
Upgrade the memory, it works wonders sometimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
Agree with everyone who says "upgrade the ram". That should more than suit her needs. In fact, the frightening fact is that I'm using a P3/450 with WindowsXP at work, and I'm a enterprise application developer! LOL. The P3/450 isn't much better in performance over a P2/450. I do have 640MB RAM installed though. I would recommend going up to 512MB or so.

G' luck.

UK Owl

Enlightened
Forget building a future proof upgradable system, technology moves too fast. Buy a cheaper motherboard and processor and in a year or so do the same again, you will end up with a more up-to-date system than you would have had you gone for the more expensive option and your total outlay will probably be less.

Firstly ram, go for a 256 chunk at least. anything less is not worth the savings.

Hard drive, the bigger it is the more junk you will put on it, and the more suicidal you will feel if you ever lose all the data on it. I personally would not put bigger than 30 gig in a system at the moment.

Go for onboard sound and graphics and your system cost will be far less, you only need separate sound and graphics if you will use them, e.g. for gaming (but this will require a top notch system you are prepared to upgrade every time a new game comes out), soundcard may need upgrading if doing music work or a better graphics card if you want something special such as video/tv out or a TFT/plasma screen driver.

Forget the fastest CD burners, a 24 speed drive will write a CD in about 4 minutes, is it really worth paying the extra just to save a minute per CD ?

As for processors I recommend AMD (yes this is a rather shameless product placement !) I have an Athalon processor, before that a Duron, I would fully recommend them.

Please bear in mind though that these are only my personal thoughts. Try to have a look at someone else's system that is at what would be described as 'very basic entry level' by the shops that sell full systems before you make up your mind. Also bear in mind that these shops will try and make you think you need a system powerful enough to power NASA control.