Which headlamp for my neighbor?

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Yesterday, i was biking from training, and i had my ZL H31 on my head.
My neightbor saw me, and this morning she was standing at my door and said: ''What headlamp was that? Where can i get that? how much does it cost? It was bright as hell!''

She was very impressed with it, and wanted a same type headlamp. But she thinks that it is too expensive, and want something which deliver about 200 lumens, runs on AA's and don't have a external battery pack, the headlamp will be in her car.

Is there ANY headlamps out there with OK quality, runs on AA's and deliver about 200 lumens? For a price at about 40-50 $ shipped to Norway? It may be hard to find..

She will also place an order at the H51 for her son, but she wonder if there is something else in the H51's price range who will run on AA's and give more power?

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
she should just get the zebralight honestly.

I guess so, but there are a problem about the headlamp for her, she would not spend a $ over 50 on a headlamp. She is a cheapie!
She won 200 000 $ last year, and did not use a dollar of them, what a mega-saver :)

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well then she just won't get what she wants. Every other headlamp I know of either has a battery pack or is much dimmer. Its funny that she will spend 50 but not 70. Maybe she would be interested in the ITP H01. Its far dimmer, but should still be a nice lamp.

EDIT: I think I might have been overly hasty. I don't know how I've never heard of this one before but the fenix HL20 looks like it might fit the bill nicely.It is less floody and can't be detached and used as a flashlight, but still should be nice.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
So far the only headlamps that don't have external battery packs anywhere near that bright that use AA are 1AA. You could try the fenix 1AA headlamp The HL-20 is about 100 lumens (claims) and about $45. Unless she is using it to throw like a flashlight 100 lumens is plenty bright for most things.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Thanks!

Yes, i've checked it out, i use 2-3-4 hours a day reading on CPF..What a hobby :thumbsup:

I think i should pay the extra 20 bucks for her, so she would get a headlamp with much power and good quality, i guess she is scary when she is angry, so i do think she need a quality one, not some cheap junk from DX.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
well it looks like there are a number of good ones for under 50, I wouldn't call fenix "DX crap", but I think you are making the appropriate and charitable choice. Too bad they are sold out, zebralight had a number of older model headlamps on sale for under 50 but they are gone now.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
well it looks like there are a number of good ones for under 50, I wouldn't call fenix "DX crap", but I think you are making the appropriate and charitable choice. Too bad they are sold out, zebralight had a number of older model headlamps on sale for under 50 but they are gone now.

Well, i would not either call Fenix ''DX Crap'' It was a mistake by me to say that:sssh: I own many Fenixes, and are very happy with them
I know there are many great headlamps for under 50 bucks (HL 20, Apex, etc) But she really wanted 200+ lumens! without battery packs..
Headlamps with ''200 lumens'' for under 40 bucks is on DX or KD, but i would not let her buy one of these headlamps..

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
just so she's not disappointed, the zebralight is probably not 200 lumens. I don't own one but that doesn't seem very likely. It will be pleasingly bright though. I could of course be mistaken.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
I've heard that before, and i guess 200 lumens is a little bit optimistic..
But it is the closest 200 lumens from a AA battery for that price, so she have to be happy with that!:)
bigC should test the ZL's in his sphere!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've heard that before, and i guess 200 lumens is a little bit optimistic..
But it is the closest 200 lumens from a AA battery for that price, so she have to be happy with that!:)
bigC should test the ZL's in his sphere!

If you hadn't shown her the brightest she probably would have been happy with a 80 lumen headlamp even.

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
PHP:
sol-leks              Re: Which headlamp for my neighbor?         just so she's not disappointed, the zebralight is probably not 200  lumens. I don't own one but that doesn't seem very likely. It will be  pleasingly bright though. I could of course be mistaken.
I have the H51, and while I don't have a sphere to measure exactly, it is REALLY bright. Selfbuilt did a review of the SC51, which uses the same emitter and circuit. He seemed to think the lumen claims were accurate...