AA Lights in the 300-500 Lumen Range???

g.p.

Enlightened
There are many AA lights in the 100-200 lumen range, and I've found the 600-700 lumen AA lights like the TK40, TK45, and Polestar A6. But are there any AA lights in 300-500 lumen range? I'm looking for something in that range that will run off Eneloops, and can comfortably be worn on my belt.....perhaps 2-4 AA cells. Any ideas???

Thanks!

Last edited:

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Re: AA Lights in the 400-500 Lumen Range???

Sunwayman M40A. 500 lumens, MCE led, 4xAA. 5.6 inches.

g.p.

Enlightened

That looks perfect....except for the price!!!:faint:

Dual

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Sunwayled/Sunwayman M40A.

I've been using mine for about 2 months now and its my go to light for outdoor use.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

That looks perfect....except for the price!!!:faint:

Simply haven't gotten to the point where you can realistically expect that many lumens from a multiple AA-based light, without paying for it. And if a company advertises one using one or two AA cells, they're lying.

Lawliet

Newly Enlightened
Is it the throw you're after? In that case the LD40 might fit in, even if it fall short in raw lumen. Although the NW led skews the lumen readings in comparisin to CW ones.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Or you can have an Eagletac P20A2 MKII R5. Has a 300 led lumens in 2xAA format if the M40A is to expensive for you.

g.p.

Enlightened
Is it the throw you're after? In that case the LD40 might fit in, even if it fall short in raw lumen. Although the NW led skews the lumen readings in comparisin to CW ones.
I'll be using the light for work as an aircraft mechanic. It's all night shift and mostly walking around the aircraft doing visual inspections and repairs. Most of it is in close stuff (5-10ft), but I also need to be able to clearly see up to the top of the tail, which is about 60ft high. Something with a high mode to to see the tail, and a medium mode for everything else would be the best.

The LD40 is what got me looking for something better than my old 200 lumen Dorcy, but easier to have on my belt than my TK45. The problem is that it's made out of some kind of plastic and the hydraulic fluid from the aircraft "eats" 90% of all plastics and rubbers. It's eventually going to come into contact with fluid, so I would prefer an aluminum light.

Or you can have an Eagletac P20A2 MKII R5. Has a 300 led lumens in 2xAA format if the M40A is to expensive for you.
That's looking pretty good. It would be nie to have something fatter vs long and skinny, but that's probably not realistic. It's just easier to hold a fat light with big bulky gloves at -40c.

I could also use AAA's, so perhaps I should look into that catagory of lights to see whats available. I got stuck in a rut after seeing the LD40.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I could also use AAA's, so perhaps I should look into that catagory of lights to see whats available. I got stuck in a rut after seeing the LD40.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

20% less capacity per each cell. You're better off sticking with AA powered lights.

joe1512

Enlightened
Is anything wrong with using an itp A6 Polestar? Its 6xAAs but the light fits nicely in your hand and isn't THAT heavy. Its smaller than a 2C maglite. It will have nice runtime too.

It has 3 brightness levels so you should be able to find a level that works for you. It is nice and floody so you won't have a glaring hotspot that is distracting when working up close.

72 bucks shipped from goinggear.

A TK45 is another choice that is fairly floody uses 8xAAs except that it has like 4 or 5 brightness levels. Costs twice as much too!

g.p.

Enlightened
Is anything wrong with using an itp A6 Polestar? Its 6xAAs but the light fits nicely in your hand and isn't THAT heavy. Its smaller than a 2C maglite. It will have nice runtime too.

It has 3 brightness levels so you should be able to find a level that works for you. It is nice and floody so you won't have a glaring hotspot that is distracting when working up close.

72 bucks shipped from goinggear.

A TK45 is another choice that is fairly floody uses 8xAAs except that it has like 4 or 5 brightness levels. Costs twice as much too!
The Polestar was on my short list when I bought my TK45. I might still get one as I wouldn't be as worried about abusing it as I am with my TK45. The only thing that turned me off of it originally is that you have to cycle through the strobe every time. I frequently need to cycle to high for just a few seconds to get a better look at something. It seemed like it might be a pain.

Now I'm looking for something smaller than my TK45 though, just to have on my belt at all times. 4xAA is about the biggest that I would like to go. I need to have a Leatherman and a cell on my belt too, so it starts to add up.

utlgoa

Enlightened
Checkout this Coleman Cree MCE powered by 6 AA Batteries.....$79.00

LED: Cree XLamp® MC-E
• Lumens: 500 lumens on high, 150 lumens on low
• Up to 8 hours and 30 minutes of run time
• Operates: 6AA batteries, included
• Tough annodized aluminum body
• Multiple settings: High / Low
• Crenulated bezel always shows when power is on

• The blazing power of a spotlight trapped in the body of a flashlight
  • • 500 incredible lumens
  • • PerfectBeam™ light technology
  • • Coleman® LED Flashlights are weather resistant
  • • Long lasting LEDs never need to be replaced
  • • Product weighs 17.1 oz with power source
  • • Product weighs 12 oz without power source
  • • Dimensions: 8.9″L X 2.3″W
  • • Made in China
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000003911&categoryid=1185&brand=

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Skip the Coleman offering. On that Coleman model, quality is lacking. And you're not going to get anything close to the advertised lumen output.

joe1512

Enlightened
Agreed. It is just a bad Polestar from what Ive heard. Same price too.

Chicago X

Enlightened
The Polestar was on my short list when I bought my TK45. I might still get one as I wouldn't be as worried about abusing it as I am with my TK45. The only thing that turned me off of it originally is that you have to cycle through the strobe every time. I frequently need to cycle to high for just a few seconds to get a better look at something. It seemed like it might be a pain.

Now I'm looking for something smaller than my TK45 though, just to have on my belt at all times. 4xAA is about the biggest that I would like to go. I need to have a Leatherman and a cell on my belt too, so it starts to add up.

I have the A6 Polestar and TK40, and carry the A6 more frequently due to size. It's actually shorter than the 4xAA LD40 too !

I have become accustomed to untwisting the rear battery cap to avoid the strobe function.

Check out the Derelight Javelin. It can be configured for either 2xAA or 3xAA. In the 3xAA configuration it will also power a P60-type drop-in. Either way, the light gets you close to 300 lumens at high power. The low and the medium settings are more than sufficient for close and medium distance work. The tint is a clean, bright white (which I estimate to be about 6000K). The battery tube is relatively narrow, with a small flared head. It's easily carried in a tool belt or in a holster. Priced between $65 - $75, depending on availability and cpf discount.

And just a bit off-topic, thanks for keeping my airplanes in the air. (It's like in restaurants...we all tell the waiter if we liked the meal, but how many of us make it a point to go thank the chef? I for one think we ought to include our country's mechanics in our nightly prayers.)
:goodjob: