That annoying SureFire thing you do.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
This is a minor, but annoying issue that's caused me to get out some rocks to deal with it. I digress.

I love me precious 123 batteries, price not a factor. However, if you take the tailcap off any SF light and look at the battery there will be some degree of grooving where the tailcap spring makes contact. It's the turning the light on and off that causes the problem.

I have a couple of lights where there are actual grooves in the battery. The spring binds and then breaks loose causing a "ping" sound in the tailcap.

The culprit is the sharp point. In some of my lights it digs a groove like it's getting ready for spring planting while others are less offensive.

The solution is using an Arkansas stone to smooth out or radius the point. Works fine and only leaves minimal marking like I think it should. I'm done now.

GeoffChan

Enlightened
I picked up a clickie switch and attached it, when i tired to holster it in my V70, I couldn't do it because the Z48 and Z49's are about 2mm wider than my old Z41. ARGH!!!

Geoff

pk

Photon King
MicroE,
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Nice observation.

pk

MicroE

Enlightened
Jeff---You have made a good observation. However, I would like to make two points.
First, the battery manufacturers are partially to blame because the steel plate (which acts as the negative contact of a 123) is so thin that it can easily bend. This is because they want it to be thin and take up as little space as possible. The more chemicals that they can get inside the 123 the longer the output. A thick plate would take up space needed for chemistry.
Second, a sharp point contact may help conduction. As we all know, metals (like the spring and the negative electrode) oxidize. A strong spring with a point contact will punch through the oxide layer more easily and allow a good electrical contact to be made. Any oxide that is left behind will act as a resistor and consume power that is meant for the filament.
I hope that this helps. If it doesn't, ignore it.---Marc