The moment is now, time is of the essence....

Solenopsis

Newly Enlightened
OK, OK, OK, little dramatic. But if I don't buy a light soon then I will have to wait another few months. I should also add that:
A. This will be my first "nice" LED.
B. I have been waiting 2 years to buy one. 2 bleepin' years!
C. I sold a part of my soul to raise the funds. :shakehead

So this light has to be perfect, I am tired of doing research, well not really it's fun. But I need some solid input. Here is my current list, and this is price range I am able to afford BTW. This list is the order I plan on buying them in due time. I don't know if I will able to get all these in short succession, but overall I want a 2x18650 light.

1. Olight M31-this would be for night hiking-the power and the weight got me on this one. I really want a nice thrower over a nice spiller.

Do you guys think this a good choice?

The next category are the 1x18650.
1. Lumapower VX Sig Ultra w/sst-50
2. 4 7's Maelstrom G5.
The only thing with G5 is the fact that it can't the newer flat-top 18650.

What do think about these?

Last question, and it is big one, should I wait for the new Cree XM bulb? Now remember if you say yes than screws up my 2x18650 1st choice, since I heard that it will be larger lights because of the die size. I have been on fence on these questions that I am getting imaginary splinters. PLEASE HELP.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
a couple things

1) You can get nice new 18650's that are not flat tops. Look at Redilast 2900mah 18650 with a button top. They are panasonic cells. You don't need to rule out the maelstrom just because AW only makes his higer capacity LiCo cells with flat tops.

2) Read the threads on the Olight M31. If you want to use high for extended periods of time, you can't. The light will overheat. Personally, I don't understand why anyone would buy a light with a lot of lumens they can't use when and how they want to use the lumens. Poor design! :fail: The light is bright. I would buy it if it did not have heat issues when run on high for 10 min.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
youve already waited 2 years, whats another 2 years? theres gonna be some great new lights available in 2012.:poke:

in my experience, after buying and using 40+ lights in the last year.

a smaller 3 mode light with up to 300 lumens is plenty for most tasks and lots of fun.

if you want to illuminate a deer from 300 yards you need a big thrower, but it will be almost useless as a daily use light.

malestrom and 3 18650 cells is a great choice as an all around light.

Bronco

Enlightened
1) You can get nice new 18650's that are not flat tops. Look at Redilast 2900mah 18650 with a button top. They are panasonic cells. You don't need to rule out the maelstrom just because AW only makes his higer capacity LiCo cells with flat tops.

Not to mention you can use flat top 18650s in the G5 all day long if you just stick a tiny little disc shaped magnet on the top of the battery.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I would not order an sst50 light, i was dissapointed with mine. No runtime, and not really that bright. Would order something more useful. With a nice hotspot and decent throw. If you are just ordering your first light get something that you can use for everything.

entoptics

Enlightened
Normally, I would shake my head at all the people who ignore the OP's specific requests, but due to the fact that you're budget has you stuck for years at a time, I'm gonna be that guy too.

I'd get a light that I'd get a small pulse of joy twice a day for two years over a light that I got a lot of joy twice a year.

The M31 is not an "everyday joy" kind of light.

Invest in an HDS, Quark, Fenix, or similar single cell "EDC" light that you can have with you all the time. Not only will it mean you can afford two lights, but a small durable package can be kept on your person at ALL times, so you have it when you need it and more importantly when you are just goofing/showing off for grins.

A Quark AA using a 14500 Li-ion is about the most "WOW" light I can think of. Few lights can produce the stunning brightness in such a small package, and the versatility is outstanding.

Just a thought considering your incredibly tight budget. A big powerful wow light is fun, but I doubt it will bring you the dollar/grin ratio that a small light will.

Everyone is different, but if I could only own one light, it would probably be the Quark AA with a 14500 cell.

Last edited:

Solenopsis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input. It has made my choice even more difficult, I'm not be facetious though, really, thanks. The battery issue is that i just want to buy a battery four pack and charger combo and be done with it, I didn't want different types of the same battery. Hmmm...no votes on the Lumapower.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
lots of really good lights (230+ lumens) work on regular AA batteries, and you can find AA batteries anywhere.

after that 18650 is the best choice.

123s are great but runtime can be short (half a 18650) if you want a lot of light.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solenopsis,

Based on the other responses in this thread (lack of Maelstrom/Lumapower/Olight discussion), it would seem that most CPF members, if put in your situation, probably wouldn't go the route that you are considering (myself included).

So it appears that your budget is ~$150 for whatever you choose. In order to give you better recommendations, I think we might need a little more info from you. What are your intentions with this light? Everyday carry? Occasional use powerhouse (think spotlight use)?

In choosing just 1 flashlight for around $150, I think you have roughly three options:
- A small (CR123/AA/AAA etc.) pocketable light to use everyday (while these are small, they can still produce large amounts of light)
- Midsize (1x18650/2xCR123/3xCR123 etc.) modular light that can easily be upgraded as new technologies arrive (think P60-host). This is might be easier or harder on your wallet down the road depending on how you look at it.
- Large ultra-bright (by today's standards), non-pocketable light that is not easily upgradeable

Depending on what other cheaper flashlight(s) you might have and what your intended use for this light will be, you can probably pretty easily answer which of three above categories it will fit into.

I have found that in my personal collection, the smaller the light the more it gets used. While I love my SureFire M6, it is simply too big to regularly carry. Therefore, it only gets used on select occasions. In your situation, I would look toward either a small (but awesome) pocketable light, or a P60-host (upgradeable). Again, I don't know what you intended use for this light will be. But if I could only get one high-quality light for around $150, I would want to be able to have it in my pocket nearly 24/7 so I can use and enjoy it whenever I get the chance. Personally, I would probably go for a HDS Systems EDC (either the 170 lumen model, the 100 lumen High CRI, or wait until 200+ lumen models become readily available).

Perhaps you could fill out our recommendation checklist:
For all questions please select all that apply.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
According to the specs, the Zebralight SC51 will output 200 lumens from a single AA... That gets the biggest WOW in my book (plus you get a usable 140 lumen, 2-hour mode as well).

My next EDC light will probably whichever achieves ~200 lumens from a single AA in a neutral/warm tint. This doesn't already exist does it?

utlgoa

Enlightened
Checkout this video of the Led lenser M7R. It might be what your looking for. If you choose to purchase it, make sure you shop around until you find a price under $100.00.

The Coast M7R LED flashlight has a total of 3 brightness levels with up to 220 lumens maximum (shines a beam up to 837 ft). The Speed Focus system on the M7R allows you to adjust from spot to flood beam and to lock-in the desired focus by twisting the head of the flashlight.

Features of Coast M7R LED Lenser Rechargeable Flashlight:
• 3 brightness levels:
Max - 220 lumens, shines up to 837 ft or 255m (press & hold switch for Max)
High - 180 lumens, shines up to 771 ft, runs for up to 12 hours
Low - 30 lumens, shines up to 328 ft, runs for up to 20.5 hours
• 3 lighting programs (from off, press switch 4 times rapidly then click on to change program mode)
1. Professional - 100% power, low, flashing, SOS, strobe
2. Easy - 100% power, low
3. Tactical - 100% power, strobe
• charging indicator
steady red - charging
steady green - charging is complete
flashing red - error (wrong position in charging station)
flashing green - determining the state of the battery (takes up to 5 minutes)