Preon 1 and 2 bodies interchangeable???

HIDblue

Enlightened
I recently bought a Preon 2 Titanium light (2xAAA) along with an extra Preon 1 Ti body (1xAAA) thinking the Preon 2 and Preon 1 bodies were interchangeable. The Preon 2 works great and is a nifty little light, especially considering the 2xAAA form factor, but when I tried using the Preon 1 Ti body with the Preon 2 head and clicky tailcap...the light, using the smaller Preon 1 Ti body, wouldn't work. I tried several fresh AAA batteries and cleaning the contacts with no success.

Has anyone else had this problem with the Preon 1 and 2 bodies? And if so, is there a field-fix for it?

I sent 4Sevens a message already, but was wondering if anyone had an expedient fix. I'm just a very impatient man when it comes to futzing around with new lights. :grin2:

Last edited:

HighTechToolFan

Newly Enlightened
well it should work, I recently got a neutral preon 2 with another 1 body and it works fine, I also have the ti preon 2 but no ti 1 body, I'll try it with the aluminum body tomorrow... but probably you will have the reply by 47 by then...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preon 1 and 2 bodies should be interchangeable. I only have aluminum ones but I can use either body.

Quark Mini AA and Mini AA2 bodies should be interchangeable. My AA2 head works on both the AA and AA2 bodies, my AA head only works with the AA body, would not fit on the AA2 body. (The threads won't engage. I can see 2 threads and the O-ring when it jammed.)

There are some variation in the parts of the Minis and Preons. You can not automatically Lego all the bits.
There is a solution for the aluminum bodies but you have the Ti version.
Preon 2 to 1 neutral white issues/solution
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/293325

The clicky tailcap is also very finicky. When I put the head and tail back on the original body, I had to do 3 tries at installing the tailcap before it would work.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I also bought a Preon 1 Gold light (twisty) with an extra Preon 2 Gold body and the Preon 2 Gold body does not work with the Preon 1 Gold head and twisty tail cap.

It's odd, the lights that I ordered work fine, but they just don't work with the extra bodies that I ordered. Not sure what's going on, but I'd rather not sand anything down or modify it until I hear back from 4Sevens. :sigh:

HIDblue

Enlightened
I'm happy to report that 4Sevens replaced my entire order after hearing the problems I had with my original order and the lack of apparent interchangeability between the Preon 1 and 2 parts. :grin2:

They even reported testing the replacement order to make sure that the Preon 2 Ti and Preon 1 Gold lights worked with the spare Preon 1 Ti and Preon 2 Gold bodies that I ordered.

Job well done 4Sevens! Great customer service. :thumbsup:

Now, I can finally enjoy my Preons!