Quark Neutral 2xAA vs 1x14500

holygeez03

Enlightened
Can someone with the proper configurations post a comparison of a Quark Neutral using 2 NiMH AA's and a Quark Neutral using a 14500 (in the single AA battery tube obviously)?

I have seen a few comparisons of 1xAA vs 14500, but I am trying to decide if it's worth purchasing a single AA tube and 14500 batteries/charger.

If a Quark Neutral isn't available, I would still be very interested in the same beamshot comparison with a regular Quark.

Lighthearted1

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I don't have photos to share. I have a AA2 Neutal, and a AA1 tube also. I carry the AA1/Neutral with a 14500 EDC for the shorter size. There is no brightness difference that I can see between 4.2V and 2.5V. The two AA's will have a longer run time of course. I am happy with the tint. It has a slightly more diffused hot spot than the R5 Quark, both are useful, but the Neutral tint is more to my liking. I can easily see the difference when Volts are down to 1.5v - 1.0v range.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low-voltage Quark head (shipped with AA, 123, and AA^2) is a buck/boost driver - it will stay in regulation while given 0.9v-4.2v. Giving it more than 4.2v may destroy the electronics. The only limitation is the battery's ability to supply current - trying to drive an XP-G at 700 mA on one AA would ask about 2.3 amps from the battery, a bit more than is polite to ask.

There'll be no brightness difference while it's in regulation, except that the Quark head will suck an unprotected 14500 down into oblivion before dimming.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2AA doesn't function correctly on a single 14500. Don't know why. It only has High and low.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
14500 and 2xAA should be practically identical brightness on any of the 0.9-4.2 volt Quark heads.