Plastic Housing, Warm/Neutral LED and 123 Power

brickbat

Enlightened
Do these three features exist in a single off-the-shelf flashlight?

I'd like something in the 100-200 lumen range, and around 4000K color temperature. Gotta be a polymer/plastic housing. And gotta be 123 powered - preferably 2 cells.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta be a polymer/plastic housing. And gotta be 123 powered - preferably 2 cells.
means Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics, Pelican and Princeton Tec. Unfortunately those companies do not make special neutral/warm white LED versions. You want a warmer light buy the xenon version.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Surefire G2 with a warm drop-in would be a good choice. I can't think of anything off the shelf that fits, due to the plastic housing criteria.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it have to be 100% plastic? Could the bezel (at a minimum) be metal?

Going with an all plastic light is a good way to limit the heat sinking of an LED light. Even LED's produce a lot of heat, but unlike incan's that heat has to be removed from the LED. Containing it (by insulating it) means that the LED will not be effectively heat sinked, and will eventually burn out. Especially at higher drive levels, which would be necessary to get the 100-200 lumens you want.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Eagle Tac were supposed to come out with a PP-serie in polymer and when I emailed them long ago and asked they said it should come in neutral white also.
But after that I haven't heard or seen anything.
Anybody knows?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Does it have to be 100% plastic? Could the bezel (at a minimum) be metal?

Going with an all plastic light is a good way to limit the heat sinking of an LED light. Even LED's produce a lot of heat, but unlike incan's that heat has to be removed from the LED. Containing it (by insulating it) means that the LED will not be effectively heat sinked, and will eventually burn out. Especially at higher drive levels, which would be necessary to get the 100-200 lumens you want.

Underwater Kinetics makes a 3AA and 4AA light now that are 110-120 lumens with plastic bodies and heads. I don't think they have a 123 based version though although they used to make one but it was more like 40 lumens like the older AA versions were.