Suggestions for a Smallish EDC pocket carry?

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Any suggestions for a smallish EDC that is pocket carry?

I was thinking of something that takes a R123, or a AA.

I was looking at:

Jetbeam Jet I
Nitecore Extreme Tactical
4Sevens Quark 123
4Sevens Quark AA
Fenix LD10

I would ideally like to keep it under $90.
It would have to be durable, rugged and reliable. Do the above fit the bill?

I already own an HDS Clicky, but don't want to shell out the extra for another one. I would like square threads as well.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Of the lights you mention, I have the Quark AA and a Quark 2x123, but neither will ride in my pocket if I'm leaving the HDS clicky at home. Instead, I reach for my Nitecore D10, either an SP (my preferred) or an older ramping model with a trit. The clip on the D10 is great and I run my D10s on 14500 cells. I wouldn't mind getting an EX10 but it gets kinda short for my hand based on the fact that the D10 is almost too short already, but still, I think I might get one... just to satisfy myself. As for the SP interface, it's more like the clicky.... quick cycling between low, medium and high with memory of which one was last used.... no diddling around with the ramping, waiting for it to ramp up to the right level, only to miss it and have to reverse or start over again.

I do have another HDS on the way, so the EX10 will have to wait for a while....<sigh>.

Regards

Christian

joe1512

Enlightened
This might be kinda obvious, but a CR123 light is going to be a lot brighter than any AA one, unless you use a 14500. You can almost always use an RCR123 with a CR123 light since its only a 40% jump in peak voltage. However a 1.5volt to 4.3 is a very large jump so only a few lights support 14500s. I'd recommend a protected one since most lights of this class won't have low-voltage protection.

I'd personally recommend a twisty which will not come on accidentally in your pocket. I use the itp A1 EOS which Ive been very happy with as a keychain light. I never forget it since its on my keychain and it is a bit more socially 'normal' to carry a keychain light vs a standalone light in my opinion.

Since your budget is higher, definitely get an XP-G one. You can decide between a 14500-using one or a shorter but fatter RCR123 one.

Sarlix

Enlightened
Here are my thoughts:

LD10 - Pros: Great runtimes and output on normal AA's, Nimh etc - as bright as a lot of single CR123 torches apparently. Nice pocketable size.

Cons: No moonlight mode. Doesn't officially support 14500's

Jetbeam Jet I - Pros: Best throw of the lot, nice runtimes, has a reasonable low (2lm)

Cons: A bit larger than the other AA lights, Suffers from Cree rings, needs 14500's to get full potential

4Sevens Quark AA - Pros: Great runtimes (10 days in ml mode), Has moonlight mode,

Cons: Needs 14500's to get full potential

Alternatives -

Jetbeam RRT-0 - Pros: Can take both AA and CR123 batteries, Nice output and runtimes, Has low low of 3lm

Cons: A bit large with the AA extender installed.

Dereelight C2H - Pros: Can take both AA and CR123 batteries, Nice compact size, a little pocket rocket from what I've heard.

Cons: Abysmal runtimes

Zebralight SC51 - Pros: Super output on normal AA's, Nimh etc (200lm), Super runtimes in low low mode (16 days), nice small size.

Cons: It's not out yet. Doesn't officially support 14500's

I should point out I don't actually own any of the above lights. I just happened to do a lot of research when searching for a new AA myself :laughing:

Last edited:

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Zebralight SC50 or SC30. The SC30 has a clip that grips like no other so I attach it to a belt loop on my jeans, and it will never slip off. Plus of course you can sit down without discomfort, if you catch my drift.:twothumbs

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Here's my 'smallish' lights:

7-edc-lights.jpg

The one that I EDC every single day is the Quark 123*2 Tactical.......

-

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are smaller than a lot of lights but HUGE next to a SC50 especially when it comes EDC ease.

I also prefer the SC50(14500) over a SC30 because the even shorter length of the SC30 the clip has a smooth rather than ribbed heatsink area that helps the pocket not get frayed from abrasion.

For reference the bigger light is a 18650 bases Malkoff VME head & a 5Mega 18650 body.

1005000901Medium.jpg

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Zebralights!

Been carrying and SC50w+ for just about three weeks now, and I love it. Great little light. I also carry a Quark AA XPG neutral white as well about half the time.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either or the ZL SC50/ SC51/ SC30 the emitter and size is up to you, nice built little lights with nice beams and UI.

The Jet-I Pro is a nice pocket thrower with still very usable spill, very high on my favorite AA/14500 list.

Jetbeam RRT-0 with the XR-E R2 is also one of my favorite pocket light's it has the same beam as the Jet-I Pro but the selector ring is really nice.

I find these light's to be slightly better quality than the Fenix and Quark. Good luck with your search.

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
If you can get by without the moonlight mode, the Quark Mini AA is pretty small. And, with 14500 is insanely bright for something it's size. Since it's something like $20 cheaper than the normal Quark that almost pays for a couple of AW 14500s.

I'm very happy with mine as and EDC light.

RR

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not stuck on multi-mode, look at the Peak Logan. It's hard to get more durable and reliable, you just have to deal with single mode.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire 3P with a Malkoff M31W :)
That'd be sweet, I don't own one..... I will if I find one for a good price.
Malkoff also has the Valiant Twisty light, single cr123 looks cool. Though I don't own one yet.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you have a specific purpose in mind, I find that a modern AAA Cree keychain light is all that I need in my daily life. I only grab something else if I know I will be out at night and have a specific need for one (such as at a bonfire party).

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever "smallest" (not smallish) is mentioned, Zebralight is the way to go regardless it's AA, CR123 or 18650. Its SC60 (18650) is almost same size of many AA lights.

Pro: smallest, great unibody heatsink (it's important for small light), brightest AA light in the market with nimh cell, built-in 2.7v cutoff on 18650 light, unbeatable UI - direct access to low, mid and high.

Edit: Quark Mini is indeed, smaller than ZL.

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever "smallest" (not smallish) is mentioned, Zebralight is the way to go regardless it's AA, CR123 or 18650. Its SC60 (18650) is almost same size of many AA lights.

Pro: smallest, great unibody heatsink (it's important for small light), brightest AA light in the market with nimh cell, built-in 2.7v cutoff on 18650 light, unbeatable UI - direct access to low, mid and high.

The heat sinking on the Zebralight is excellent. Used mine in candle mode on high (107 lumens), to take a shower a few nights ago. Twenty min. continuous burn in a steamed up bathroom and it barely felt warm.