Tiablo MA6

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these a couple of years ago and think it's a great light. I haven't seen much of them in searching threads and wonder why it was discontinued.

Any thoughts?

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
45 reads and no comments?

Come on guys...I showered today!

Maybe a mod can move this to a better location...

:fail:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I haven't seen much of them in searching threads and wonder why it was discontinued.
I think the answer is largely contained within your question - it was not a very popular light here.

IIRC, the MA6 was originally developed as a budget light to be sold exclusively in Asia. It eventually migrated to the rest of the world through the Hong Kong dealers, and eventually into Tiablo's mainstream channels with the major North American dealers.

I never tested one, but I understand it was a reasonably solid and well performing light - nothing flashy, but functional.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
That's just it...I know you know this stuff cold. The light is awesome...a great thrower, nice spill, 5 modes with one tailcap and a simple tactical clicky tailcap included. This thing *should* have had a decent wow factor but it failed.

Is it a political thing that causes some lights to get the attention?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
(shrug) got any pics? I've never seen one. Tiablo makes some sharp looking lights. Only one I thought of buying the A7

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is it a political thing that causes some lights to get the attention?
No, I think it's just a question of the intended market (which wasn't CPF in this case).

It's been a long time, so my memory may not be entirely accurate, but I seem to recall that the light was originally intended as a lower-cost solution to be released ONLY in the Chinese market. North American markets typically demand a fairly high production/QA standard, with after-sale customer support (all of which adds to cost).

I suspect the light was also intended to compete (price-wise) with the counterfeit and gray-market mainstream lights sold in China. But the Hong Kong vendors soon starting selling outside of China - something which Tiablo was initially unhappy about, IIRC (likely because it could cut into their sales of their more premium models). Eventually, they relented and allowed the light to be sold through their regular distribution channels (with typical warranties, etc). But by then, interest in the light had waned, as CPFers moved on new makes and models. :shrug:

But as I say, it's been awhile, and I never followed the issue that closely.

I only bring it up because Tiablo recently contacted me about reviewing one of their new "budget" lines. I don't normal do budget lights (simply because of lack of time), but agreed to do it in this case because they plan to make this one available to North American dealers immediately. Don't have all the details yet, but the light is probably somewhat similar to the MA6 (i.e. 1x8650/2xCR123A, multi-mode). We'll see ...