Neutral/Warm Flood Suggestion

holygeez03

Enlightened
I grabbed a cheap Aurora P7 light and I like it just fine for lighting up my backyard... But I would like to find something similar in a neutral/warm tint.

Can someone recommend a light that fulfills the following requirements:

1) Floody beam
2) Neutral/warm tint
3) Uses 18650 batteries
4) Inexpensive (under $60?)

holygeez03

Enlightened
I forgot to add:

5) Single or 2-mode (high/low)

If a three mode (high/medium/low) exists, that's fine too...

holygeez03

Enlightened
Thanks for your reply... I looked at the H60w and I think I would prefer more output (runtime is not an issue for this light).

I am guessing that my best bet is something that uses a P7 or MC-E emitter, with a neutral warm tint.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I ran across the EagleTac M2SC4 and it seems like a pretty good candidate with the diffuser... but it's $150.

Is there something similar out there for less $$$?

Buck

Newly Enlightened
Look at SST-50 P-Rocket from Shiningbeam. I got one of these in July. Nice! Not the warmest tint light I own, but highly acceptable unless you want a freakishly butter-colored light like an old incand. running on weak cells. Much nicer tint than a cool-white SST-50 I got last year, which I now pretty much ignore since I have this. Low mode is pretty reasonable, although I don't think I've tried reading a book with it...might be just a little brighter than I'd like for that but I should really test it before I say that.

Seems well made (no glitches so far, anyway), solid but not too heavy or bulky. It seems huge compared to an L-mini, but not so much next to your Aurora. I'm using an unprotected cell, but haven't risked running it down enough to test the 2.8 V cutoff, so I can't speak to runtime. Barely exceeds your price-point.

Joe-Bob says "check it out."

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-182/MG-P-dsh-Rocket-SST-dsh-50-Neutral/Detail

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX sku.44270 would suit you perfectly. Warm white, single mode MC-E drop-in in a cheap but reasonable host. $22.40. Roughly 500 lumens OTF, single 18650 cell.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Rocket from shiningbeam is pretty much exactly what you want.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2, was going to suggest it also, but got beat out x 2 :laughing:. I have two neutral P-Rockets, and they are great. About the same output as my cool white PLI MCE light, but much nicer colors with the neutral SST-50. There is a bit of tint variation from the hotspot to the spill if you study it on a white wall, but I have used it hiking 2+ miles out of the woods after dark, and I never notice it. In fact, I find it almost as pleasant on the fall foliage as my high CRI lights, although they are the best, but they can not come close to the raw output of the P-Rocket.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Congratulations Buck... you have just informed me of a light that appears to fit my criteria almost perfectly.

In fact, I almost bought it on the spot, but I think I will wait just a bit longer to see what the experts here come up with.

Can anyone point me to some beamshots of the MG P-Rocket with the SST-50 Neutral? Preferably driven by 1x18650.

And/or can someone let me know if the SST-50 Neutral in the P-Rocket's reflector, driven with 1x18650 provides a good amount of flood and overall output?

holygeez03

Enlightened
The shiningbeam site states that it "Comes with tactical momentary-on switch and regular switch".

Can someone describe the switches on the P-Rocket? And what is the interchange process?

Also, how does the mode cycling (UI) work?

Does anyone know if the 700 lumen rating is accurate? I assume that is with 2xCR123... does anyone know the true rating with 1x18650?

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I left the orange switch [standard click] installed, it works easily.
You can change out the switches easily, if you have some way to unscrew it.

The operation of the reverse click is easy. You have to leave it on for 3 seconds (abouts, usually less) for the memory to lock in.
So if you have left it on low and want to ramp up to high quickly, you press partially to engage low, you release to off, press to engage [ramps up to medium] release to off, press fully (clicking) and you have high.

700 initial emitter lumens is about right, it does get hot after 10 minutes, so the advisory to not run on high with CR123 without some cooling, riding of bicycle.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Thanks for the info... Hopefully the change-out isn't too difficult since I will probably want the momentary-on function.

Buck

Newly Enlightened
The shiningbeam site states that it "Comes with tactical momentary-on switch and regular switch".

Can someone describe the switches on the P-Rocket? And what is the interchange process?

Also, how does the mode cycling (UI) work?

Does anyone know if the 700 lumen rating is accurate? I assume that is with 2xCR123... does anyone know the true rating with 1x18650?

Mine arrived with the momentary switch already installed under the orange cover. The mode order is L-M-H. Last mode used is remembered unless it was on for less than several seconds, so if you cycle until low is on and let it off after a brief flash, even if you wait a couple of minutes, it will come on at medium.

It's just sunset here now, maybe in a few hours I can take a couple of beamshots.

bodhran

Enlightened
Shiningbeam has a thread regarding the p-rocket in the Market Place. Good information there and the CPF discount code. I picked one up, a neutral, a couple weeks ago and seems like a good light at a good price.

Last edited:

Buck

Newly Enlightened
Lights used:
P-Rocket SST-50 Neutral White
P-Rocket SST-50 Cool White
DX 18650 Cree Q2 probably WC tint, 2-mode always on High (sorry, don't have SKU, has biggest reflector of all lights shown)
Two Romisen RC-N3, one Q5-WC, one "Warm White" Q3-5C with 2AA extention tubes
Romisen RC-C6 II Neutral White adjustable aspheric lens, 2 mode always on High (don't remember tint bin; mislabeled C8 in my file names)
Fenix L0D Q4
All except DX and L0D from Shiningbeam. RC-N3 and L0D on freshly charged Eneloops. Others on 1 x freshly charged Li-ion.

Camera is in manual mode, white balance set to Daylight. All shots of same scene have same exposure settings. Camera is not mounted on a tripod, so distance and angle to wall in white-wall shots varies a little. Don't compare one shot with another TOO carefully! :)

L to R, RC-N3 Q5; RC-N3 WW; P-Rocket NW on High

RC-N3 Q5; RC-N3 WW; P-Rocket NW on Low

RC-N3 Q5; RC-N3 WW; P-Rocket NW on Med

DX on High, L0D on High, P-Rocket NW on High

L0D on Low, P-Rocket NW on Low

A pretty good low for a big light, but for reading I'd prefer that it be sitting behind my shoulder somewhere, not held between me and the book. I don't usually like a really bright reading light. The broad hotspot would be a plus so you don't have to track the light across the page much.

L0D on Med, P-Rocket NW on Med

P-Rocket CW, P-Rocket NW both on High

P-Rocket CW, P-Rocket NW both on Low

RC-C6 @ full flood, P-Rocket NW on Med

About 3 meters from wall:
P-Rocket NW on High

P-Rocket CW on High

RC-N3 WW

RC-N3 WW again

RC-C6 @ full flood

About 4 to 5 meters to broken tree branch:
RC-C6 @ full flood

RC-C6 @ full throw

RC-N3 WW

P-Rocket CW on High

P-Rocket CW on Med

P-Rocket CW on Low

P-Rocket NW on High

P-Rocket NW on Med

P-Rocket NW on Low

DX Q2

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
Awesome... thanks again.

Is "4 to 5 meters to broken tree branch" correct? It looks further away, but maybe it is an exposure illusion.

Buck

Newly Enlightened
Is "4 to 5 meters to broken tree branch" correct? It looks further away, but maybe it is an exposure illusion.

I don't think it's over about 5 meters. Kinda hard to get a tape measure up there. The beam of the C6 @ full throw is only 30 to 35 cm wide at that distance, if that helps with scale.