Quark AA moon mode runtime test on a Duraloop AAA

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm doing this just because it's never been done here officially, and I'd like to see how far a single AAA NiMH can go before failure. This would also give creedence to having an ultra low long runtime light with at least a super low lumen like .2 lumen or lower to provide spectacular run-times.

I started the test Sunday night at midnight after the football game. It's over 35 hours now and nothing appears different from when I started the test (along with my IRIX I and II lights which are still going).

I'm expecting about roughly half of the run-time the AA's gave but not sure anyone tested the moon mode with a NiMH, so I will check the stickied 4Sevens runtime thread. Hopefully someone's done it before or else I will volunteer to do that as well.

EDIT: Darvis tested moon mode with both XP-G and XP-E versions and got 264/270 hours so 1/2 of that would provide 132-135 hours on a AAA theoretically which would be remarkable and who wouldn't want a light that can give that kind of runtime out of 1 AAA cell?

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Dude!!! Very cool test and great job thinking of this particulaer plot twist; I'll be following this one with great interest!!!

Darvis

Enlightened
LOL!! I like it... completely digging some of what we're seeing here.

Between Eneloops, solar power and Quarks, I can have light continuously forever now.

And that ReVo... to think I almost didn't buy one. What an absolute brilliant freaking genius light. When the E01 killer comes out, my brain may just explode...

chenko

Enlightened
Very interesting!! Thanks for conducting this test, I'll be following it with much curiosity. Sticking AAA cells into AA lights could be a potential life-saver (shall say "light" saver lol!) in an emergency!

funkychateau

Enlightened
Why not just measure the actual current draw in that mode of operation, over a voltage range covering fresh to exhausted cells?

Then you could estimate the runtime for various cell types, and use the experiments for verification.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just measure the actual current draw in that mode of operation, over a voltage range covering fresh to exhausted cells?

Then you could estimate the runtime for various cell types, and use the experiments for verification.

Equipment that accurately measures the current at that level is hard to come by, and the current flow will change with battery voltage over time.

scout24

Flashaholic
Low Lumen Long Runtime Posse... LLLRP. :) I likey! May have to make it a sig line... BTW, I have it on good authority that I will have a new member of the group here tomorrow or Thursday from Milky that may interest you... Bwa ha ha ha...:devil: :thumbsup: :party: I'm waiting to see how this test turns out since I have a decent supply of Duraloops and Eneloops. Now I need cottonpicker's solar charger or a 12v 1.5v charger. Any suggestions? AC charger through an inverter is not very efficient.

Darvis

Enlightened
Low Lumen Long Runtime Posse... LLLRP. :) I likey! May have to make it a sig line... BTW, I have it on good authority that I will have a new member of the group here tomorrow or Thursday from Milky that may interest you... Bwa ha ha ha...:devil: :thumbsup: :party: I'm waiting to see how this test turns out since I have a decent supply of Duraloops and Eneloops. Now I need cottonpicker's solar charger or a 12v 1.5v charger. Any suggestions? AC charger through an inverter is not very efficient.

I use 2 powerfilm products, one dedicated AA foldable charger for my Eneloops and a rollable 10 watt panel to power any one of my 12 volt quick chargers directly. I also have a 12v to usb adapter. They're not cheap by any means, but they do wrk are are the only commercial products I like. Had I known about him sooner, I would have gone with cottonpicker's rig, though. His prices are seriously low and his products look great. I'll send you a pm with some links.

emzimmerman

Newly Enlightened
And that ReVo... to think I almost didn't buy one. What an absolute brilliant freaking genius light. When the E01 killer comes out, my brain may just explode...

spat coffee all over the keyboard on that one because I feel exactly the same way.

Different reason, maybe(love the AAAs but don't care much for ultra-low modes), but the feeling is the same.

Eric

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a pic of the Quark AA running a AAA Duraloop in a AAA>AA plastic shell. This was taken at 12:00am Midnight last night @ 48 hours. So even then, it was declared the NEW AAA Runtime King!!!! Still running now at 60 hours!!!

IRIXlights-48hours.jpg

The other 2 lights are the new IRIX I and IRIX II that were also at 48 hours which I have an ad for in the marketplace section if anyone is looking for one of these awesome headlamps!

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Amazing... Beacon, is this a commercial AAA>AA adapter or just a home made job? I have some commercial AA to C and D rigs (when you have kids, these things pay for themselves tenfold), but have never come across any AAA to AA ones.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darvis, it's a commercial DX (Deal Extreme) type adapter I bought online somewhere.

Here the Quark is @ 74.5 hours 2:30am along with the IRIX I & II. The IRIX I is already 2.5 hours past the advertised runtime on NiMH Duraloop AAs!!! Pretty amazing!!!

IRIXat745hours.jpg

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the Quark AA on Duraloop AAAs ended around 2pm today @ 86 hours. I tried clicking on and off, and sometimes it would come back on but when I checked the voltage it was .91v so it was pretty much done. Last evening around 7 or 8pm I noticed a little flickering, probably due to the loose connection of the AAA>AA adapter, so I am wondering if such a loose connection would drain the battery faster? In any event the Quark on moon mode for 86 hours straight is quite remarkable considering it is on a AAA battery. It actually lasted 9-10 hours longer than the IRIX II which is running off of a Duraloop AA.

Pic taken @ 12pm or 84 hours (2 hours before it gave up the ghost). For anyone interested the IRIX I is still going right now @ 92.5 hours
IRIXIandQuarkat84hours.jpg

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Nicely done! Gotta get me some adapters, options are always good to have... Thanks for running this!