Disassembly: Rayovac 3C Sportsman Xtreme 4W --> new pics!!

Hill

Enlightened
Picked this torch up @ Sears for 20 bucks (reg $35). I was curious to see if it would be mod friendly, so here are some pictures of light's anatomy. I was pleased that everything came apart very easily. It was constructed with many "unscrewable" parts - more than I would expect for an off the shelf mass produced light. Almost seems it was designed with the modder in mind. There were also ample O-rings throughout. I'm not sure what to do with this yet, but one important note here is that IMR 26500 cells fit WITHOUT boring!

Out of the package
Picture158.jpg

Size comparison: M@g 2D (left), Rayovac 3C (middle), and M@g 2C (right)
Picture159.jpg

Bezel/head inards in order of assembly

• Bezel
  • Plastic lens
  • Optic retaining ring (screwable)
  • 35mm Optic (brand ??)
  • Head
Picture164.jpg

Head/driver pill
Picture163.jpg

Cree emitter
Picture161.jpg

Picture160.jpg

Negative contact is made through the pill/spring to body much like in a P60 dropin
Picture162.jpg

Switch/boot cover with several retaining rings. The switch is mounted directly to the PCB.

Picture166.jpg

Light is direct drive from 3C with current limited by a simple resistor. I measured ~500 mA draw from 3 slightly discharged C-cells. I modded it to direct drive (wire soldered to bypass the resistor, and current increased to ~800 mA. On freshly charged cells, I got 1A.
Picture165.jpg

Tailcap
Has a lanyard attachment which is not really feasible given the size of this light. However, if it were modded to have a tail clicky, it would have a nice "recessed" look and still be able to tailstand.

Picture167.jpg

And here is the bonus find --- Look ma', no boring, it's IMR 26500 compatible!!!

Picture168.jpg

Picture170.jpg

Picture171.jpg

Now just need to figure out what do to with this. Another option is to make it into a tail clicky and use the extra space from the stock switch to fit 3 x 26650 cells. I measured and it would accept that nicely.

Request was made for more detailed pictures of the Cree optics. It measures 36mm x 16mm using my (non-digital) calipers.

Picture009.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture020.jpg

I also discovered this light can be lego'd with another cheap $8 2C host from this post. The 3C body screws on perfectly to the 2C head with no modification. I removed the stock switch and could fit an extra C-cell down the tube for a total of 4 x C cells. Tailcap still screws on with good contact. Without the stock switch, this light could be converted into a tail clicky operation.

Possible battery configurations:

• 4 x C NiMH
  • 4 x 26500
  • 3 x 26650
Picture028.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Compared next to a Mag2D
Picture029.jpg

4 x C-cell fitment
Picture030.jpg

Compatible threads of 3C body and 2C head/neck
Picture031.jpg

Picture033.jpg

For the other combination (2C body onto 3C head) the theads are of course compatible, however, the body of the 2C has a lip that does not allow the 3C head to screw on. Nothing a little dremelling couldn't take care of. Here are pictures of what it would look like if they were mated.

Picture040.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Compared next to a 2D mag. It's about the same length as a 1C Mag, but actually fits 2 C-cells.
Picture034.jpg

Here is a before and after shot of stock or lego'd 3C and 2C lights compared next to a Mag 2D.

Stock
Picture036.jpg

Lego'd
Picture037.jpg

3C body/2C head is a bit ugly for my taste :nana:.

2C body + 3C head has a very cool look :cool:. I could even deanondized the head to match the tailcap. I could probably bore out the inside to fit 2 x 26500 or 1 x 26650, but the walls are thinner than a Mag, so may not touch that one.

Curious to know what others think :poke:

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Disassembly: Rayovac 3C Sportsman Xtreme 4W

3x26500 is big power, sst-50 + optic?

Hill

Enlightened

SST-50 is definitely a candidate. Was also thinking of triple XPG. Not sure which would generate less heat @ the same current drive. Problem I have had lately is finding a suitable (and relatively inexpensive) 2.5A driver that can tolerate the input voltage (~10.8 - 12.6).

There are drivers from DW, Taskled, and others, but cost wise, they are a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a nice light, especially for the price, and was my best thrower a few years back... now it's obsolete and I'm really curious as to what mods can be achieved with it:popcorn:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice find, the 26500 diameter is a big plus.

Will the body screw in Mag C head? Could you give it a try?

The switch doesn't look like High Amp capable, probably need to be replaced if going for SST-50.

Hill

Enlightened

Nice find, the 26500 diameter is a big plus.

Will the body screw in Mag C head? Could you give it a try?

The switch doesn't look like High Amp capable, probably need to be replaced if going for SST-50.

I tired to mate the Rayovac 3C body to a Mag C head and no luck there:mecry:

However, it is combatible with the head/neck from the cheap $8 2C host from this thread. I'll take some pictures and post later. What would be the advantage there I'm not really sure. Just kinda cool these two mate well. I really wish the Rayovac head would mate to the $8 2C body since the look is very cool. The threads should be compatible, but the 2C body is getting stuck on the narrow head diameter. Nothing a little grinding couldn't fix. I'll also post pictures of that combo as well.

I agree, that switch is :thumbsdow for high amp applications.

Last edited:

secarob

Newly Enlightened

Hill, keep us posted on what you decide. I have one of these and it might be time to try my first mod.

Could the existing emitter just be swapped with something better?

Hill

Enlightened

Hill, keep us posted on what you decide. I have one of these and it might be time to try my first mod.

Could the existing emitter just be swapped with something better?

It would be easy enough, but I'm looking for something with more kick since I'll be powering with 3 x 26500 IMR cells. Maybe a triple XPG.

That optic looks like a Ledil Eva optic. Is it 36mm in diameter? Can you take a closer picture of it?

Yes, the optic measures 36mm x 16mm by my calipers. Updated post #1 w/pictures.

It's a nice light, especially for the price, and was my best thrower a few years back... now it's obsolete and I'm really curious as to what mods can be achieved with it:popcorn:

Working on that now. Possibly triple XPG.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a modern classic light!

I think this was the first XR-E based light to be found in common brick & morter department stores. I had one survive an 8 foot fall onto concrete in the garage. I've been thinking of putting a warm white Cree or a Q5 in it as a simple mod.

Has anyone seen the alternate version of this? I think it says 180 lumens on the package and has two modes. I saw this at Parts Express (live in the warehouse showroom) but not found on ROVs Website.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting legoing, but I really like the original look of the light.
I like the idea of putting 4 cells in it and having a tailcap switch without making the light much longer, although the original switch position was also very nice since it is a well balanced light... so many options now!

This is a modern classic light!

I think this was the first XR-E based light to be found in common brick & morter department stores. I had one survive an 8 foot fall onto concrete in the garage. I've been thinking of putting a warm white Cree or a Q5 in it as a simple mod.

Has anyone seen the alternate version of this? I think it says 180 lumens on the package and has two modes. I saw this at Parts Express (live in the warehouse showroom) but not found on ROVs Website.

It was the most powerful light you could get in a normal store until last year I believe. I did see the new version: 180 lumens and 75 lumen modes. They updated the look on the grip. I don't know why you didn't see it on ROV's website, it's in the outdoor section. They say it is titanium colored, but the ones I saw in the store where dark green... or maybe it was the lighting in there, who knows...