LED for MOD other than LS

SHIN

Newly Enlightened
Hi. everyone.

I'm a newbie here. I appeciate to know many flashaholics and many things from here, CPF. Thank you.

I have three 5 mm LED flashlight; arc-AAA, photon and stylus 3 streamlight.
I know that most modders use LS because of the brightness.
I think the old(?), small LEDs could be used for Mod more usefully if the quality improved. I'd like to know the recent improvement of LEDs other than LS like 5mm LED or 3mm LED, especially about the brightness.

Finally I hope there will be 5 mm Luxeon.

Best regards
SHIN

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
when i first came to cpf, there were a lot of 3mm and 5mm led mods floating around.

i really miss them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
everyone has moved onto ls mods (myself included), and we don't get to see many of the creative 5mm mods we used to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not look for any radical improvement in light output for 5 mm LEDs. The package is about at limit with respect to heat (this is why the lower Vf colors can be run to higher currents). We could see, over several years as much as say a two fold increase in output (to say an average 40 Lumens per watt), but probably not much more.

Someone may go to the high expense of introducing a new package (like Lumileds did for the Luxeons) with improved heatsinking, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Doug Owen

SHIN

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jim.
Nice to see you again.
I'm waiting your MMMs ready..

Hi Doug.
Thank you for the comment.