Is Sonic worthy?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Is there a general concensus on the value of the Sonic light, yet. I'm a real sucker for small pocket/keychain lights (yes, my Arc's in its pocket) and figured I'd have to get this one, but the few reviews are pretty negative. Are we all just so spoiled by our Arcs, or is the Sonic really a stinker. Thanks for all learned advice.

Geoff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Mine still works fine, but I don't really abuse my lights aside from tests I give them for the website. The front is well sealed, but I don't know about the switch-end. And I haven't run over this one with a 400lb electric Rascal.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
My biggest problem with it is that there isn't much spill. I was going to cut the front down a bit to let more spill light out, but then I realized that the bare LED would then shine back in my face.

I'm sticking with my Arc.

Empath

Flashaholic
We have gotten a bit spoiled. I can still remember the frustration of only seeing 3 cell LED lights, and it seemed that most were long enough to use as a baseball bat. Pocket carry was out of the question. It was CMG that introduced us to the one cell LED light and one you could EDC. Had they been the first to introduce a AAA version of their Infinity, sans the battery saving feature that kept it a bit too dim, we would have welcomed it with open arms to the same extent that we welcomed the Infinity. However, Arc provides an exceptionlly engineered and quality constructed AAA. I don't personally think the Sonic matches the quality standard of the Arc AAA, but the quality is very reasonable for a mass produced light.

I give the Sonic a thumbs up. I've got a couple of them, and don't regret buying them at all. It won't be replacing my Arc, though.

MDM

Newly Enlightened
I have a sonic and arc LE. The sonic puts out almost exactly the same light (maybe a little more). I paid list $19.99 for the sonic, but it can be had for $15.

I think it is a solidly made keychain light. It turns on easier than the arc, and at first I was concerned it might do so accidentally, but so far no problems.

I don't think you will be disappointed with this light.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sonic is a nice little light, a little more expensive than it should be (list pricing wise) as it doesn't have the fit and finish, rated waterproofness, durability, or as useful a beam pattern as the Arc. It is about as bright though. My wife really liked my Sonic so I gave it to her for EDC and It really helped her out in the Blackout, she chose to carry that over a G2 and an E1e with the KL1 that I got for her, though I still wish she would carry a brighter light with the sonic as backup (she has a photon on her keychain too and spare AAA's for the Sonic in a holder) I worry about the spring failing when she needs the light the most.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif