Prevent fogging?

Cascade Range

Newly Enlightened
I've been out walking more than ever since I joined this fine forum, and of course after dark. My dog is equally as happy about this new turn of events. The one thing I've noticed though is with fall approaching and the temperature dipping after sunset my lenses are fogging up on my lights. What do you guys do to prevent this? As always thanks!

grumbler

Newly Enlightened
I live in Hawaii, and the only relevant experience that I can share is that we smear spit around the inside of our goggles to keep them from fogging.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
they sell special anti-fog spray for glasses at pharmacies and optician stores. You could even try anti-fog windex for the bathroom (mirror and glass shower).

I've used all my lights in a humid environment, summer like winter in and out of the house sometimes with 60' difference in temperature and never did I notice any of my lenses fog up.

what light do you notice this happening to?

also an old photographers' trick. put your gear in a ziplock bag in the house, seal it. then bring it out. After a few minutes it will aclimatise and it will fog on the bag, not your light.
do the same to bring it back in the house.

Sailboat

Newly Enlightened
I never have any issues with fog, and I'm surprised when I see posts. All of my lights fog from time to time, but they quickly clear stuff after warming up.

My Quark will burn through fogging, and I consider that a "cold" light. My Surefire gets up to temperature to burn off anything in like 30 seconds.

What light is this?

Cascade Range

Newly Enlightened
I have to say it's a cheap light, cree LED, but put in a noma light from Canada Tire. It's suppose to emit 60 lumen or so but never gets hot enough to burn the fog off? It's a nice one cell AA I use for walking the dog at night. It does have a plastic lens that I did discover. Last night however I took out it's bigger brother with 140 lumen output and a glass lens and there was just a hint of fog for a bit then it seemed to have burned off. Tonight I will take out my only other flashlight I own the G2L and see how it does.
There is quite a bit of humidity here on the west coast. :)

jericho

Newly Enlightened
If you have a good seal on the light then you obviously have a little moisture trapped in there. I would say get in a nice dry area and open the light up and let it dry for a while to get all the moisture out. Then re-assemble in that dry enviroment. And as stated there are chemicals used for goggles which would help.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
to elaborate on drying up the light.

strip it down. Place it in a ziplock bag with rice. allow a few, say 2-3, hours to let the rice absorb the moisture, then reassemble. either through the bag, or in a climate controlled room.

if that doesnt work and your lights keep fogging up, think positive, you have a free diffuser :D

Cascade Range

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for your advice! Will try and dry it out although I can't imagine
how it got wet only having it a couple of weeks?

Anyhow, I like that part about the diffuser. :twothumbs

powersbpd

Newly Enlightened
If you have\have access to a vacuum sealer (canister style would be best). Put the rice in the canister with the flash light (no batteries) and pump it down. The lower pressure will help the moisture boil off and shorten the drying time.