UK Led lights burn out?

afdk

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Just curious about UK LED lights. Because they are made from polymer material, are they more likely to burn out due to heat build up? The LED is mounted to a metal frame, but the heat has no place to go. I own a couple of their Zoom lights and have not had any problems to date. I usually have them on for 1-15 minutes at a time. I do have a newer Pelican 9410 lantern which is also polymer material, but it does not seem to get that warm. The head of that light is vented and has some serious heatsinks around the four LEDS. :sssh:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldnt think so. These lights are not driven extremely hard to compete in the lumen chase that most around here are after. IMO, UK is a very good brand. I only have the UK 4 x aa incan divelight, and really like it. Had it for around 3 years.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

Just curious about UK LED lights. Because they are made from polymer material, are they more likely to burn out due to heat build up? The LED is mounted to a metal frame, but the heat has no place to go. I own a couple of their Zoom lights and have not had any problems to date. I usually have them on for 1-15 minutes at a time. I do have a newer Pelican 9410 lantern which is also polymer material, but it does not seem to get that warm. The head of that light is vented and has some serious heatsinks around the four LEDS. :sssh:

Burnout depends on the lumen and hows the heat sink going.
For polycarbonate, a long runtime is not suggested for output like 250lm+ IMO in order to maintain the led.

When the lamp give more light, more heat is given out aswell.
for 15 minute i dont think it is going to burn, unless it is a full power mce or brighter, but one thing i can sure is: bad heat sinking will degrade the phosphorus power of your led and lead to loss in output and lifetime.
Jh