Trying to decide which olight to buy

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
I want to buy one of the Olight M20s but don't know much about the difference between all the different styles.
I know about the R5 led but never heard of the SST-50 led in the M21.
Is the SST-50 worth the extra cost over the R5 model? 500 lumens is tempting, is there a big difference in perceived brightness between the M21 and M20 which one is better overall.

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
Personally I think the M21 is superior to the M20. The brightness wont be huge, but there is a difference. The M20 will throw farther, but the M21 will have a bigger hot spot, so if you are using this flashlight is short to medium length areas, then the M21 will be superior, sizes are pretty much the same. They both are great lights, and you can't go wrong either way.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like NCT1 said, the M21 is brighter, but that light is less focused. If you're looking for throw, the M20 is the one you want. Some were disappointed with the M21 because they were looking for throw and the M21 is not a thrower. For indoor use, it's great as it's a broad beam. With the amount of output, it's still a decent amount of throw.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Jaslight,

I recently purchased the M20S as a replacement for the highly regarded EagleTac T20C2 MKII because the T20 does not have last mode memory.

Other than reading what few reviews existed and deciphering European U-Tube vidoes, I had to rely primarily on the product description to be sure the features I was looking were included.

In addition to hoping for a general purpose, multi-mode light with a balance of a little more throw than flood, I was very intrigued by the side switch designed to change modes after the tail switch turned the light on. Then I noted another feature which was very apealling in that the side switch also activated the strobe from the off position in the event you need this light very quickly as a defensive tool.

However, I was warned against the fact that the current operated using pulse width modulation (PWM) which at low frequencies can show a visible flicker to an individual's eyesight, especially on the lower light modes. Fortunately my sample did not demonstrate that affect.

So for me, this little light is wonderful in being fairly lightweight, well-constructed, with all the features I prefer and then the addition of the side switch was enough to purchase the M20S. In the end, after about a week now, I'm so glad I did, I'm planning on purchasing another. And right now, GoingGear.com has all their Olights on sale at 15% off until close on Sunday, the 10th.

I truly hope my quick review helps you make your decision! All the best on whatever you decide. Feel free to ask me questions here or in a PM.

John

Last edited: