Have the 1.5A Thrunite XP-G Drop-In modes been changed?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I'm looking at getting a drop-in for my C2. I was thinking Malkoff M61, but $70 is really steep... Enter the beaming sun of the 1.5A Thrunite Drop-in. A few questions:

>Does this drop-in blow the M61 out of the water?
>What is the runtime like on high?
>Have the 3 modes been spaced out better than before (low and medium were the same on the first run).

don.gwapo

Enlightened
The 3 mode 2.7-4.2V thrunite has a very well spaced modes as compare to the 4-12V ones. I have the low voltage but I never run it on extended lenght on high on 18650 2900mAh as the light becomes very warm to the touch. Don't know about the malkoff though.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you see them sell for that much money?

Here is what I got with the drop-ins:

Surefire 6P UCL__________M61_____________2 Surefire CR123__________ 300.0 _______1 sec________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________ 274.6 _______30 sec_______________________
________________Sample #1________________________690mA at the tail____________272.3 _______1 min______________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________270.8 _______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________267.7 _______3 min________________________
Surefire 6P UCL__________M61_______________2 IMR 16340___________ 320.0 _______1 sec____200______5,000______
__________________________________________________ _____________ 286.2 _______30 sec_______________________
________________Sample #1________________________540mA at the tail____________282.3 _______1 min______________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________278.5 _______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________276.2 _______3 min________________________
Surefire 6P UCL__________M61_____________3 Surefire CR123__________ 317.7 _______1 sec_______________________
__________________________________________________ _____________ 284.6 _______30 sec_______________________
________________Sample #1________________________543mA at the tail____________283.1 _______1 min______________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________278.5 _______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________274.6 _______3 min________________________

Surefire 6P UCL_____Thrunite XP-G R5_________ 2 AW 2600mAh_________ 396.2 ______ 1 sec________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________ 349.2_______30 sec_______________________
_______________________1.5A Single Mode______________822mA at the tail___________340.8_______1 min______________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________331.5_______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________326.5_______3 min________________________
Surefire 6P UCL_____Thrunite XP-G R5_________ 1 AW 2600mAh_________ 332.3 ______ 1 sec________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________ 314.6_______30 sec_______________________
_______________________1.5A Single Mode______________1.35A at the tail____________312.3_______1 min______________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________306.9_______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________302.3_______3 min________________________
Surefire 6P UCL_____Thrunite XP-G R5________2 RCR123 Primaries_______ 363.8 ______ 1 sec________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________ 306.9_______30 sec_______________________
_______________________1.5A Single Mode________________________________________ 293.8_______1 min______________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________282.3_______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________262.3_______3 min________________________
Surefire 6P UCL_____Thrunite XP-G R5_________ 2 AW 2600mAh_________ 403.1 ______ 1 sec________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________ 350.8_______30 sec_______________________
_______________________1.5A Single Mode______________822mA at the tail___________343.8_______1 min______________________
________________________Arctic Silver 5__________________________________________335.5_______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________331.5_______3 min________________________
Surefire 6P UCL_____Thrunite XP-G R5_________ 2 AW 2600mAh_________ 371.5 ______ 1 sec________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________ 331.5_______30 sec_______________________
_________________________1.5A 3 MODE___________________3 MODE_________________327.7_______1 min______________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________321.5_______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________320.8_______3 min________________________
Surefire 6P UCL_____Thrunite XP-G R5_________ 1 AW 2600mAh_________ 238.5 ______ 1 sec________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________ 237.7_______30 sec_______________________
_________________________1.5A 3 MODE___________________3 MODE_________________221.5_______1 min______________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________221.5_______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________221.5_______3 min________________________
Surefire 6P UCL_____Thrunite XP-G R5_________2 RCR123 Primaries______ 313.1 ______ 1 sec________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________ 262.3_______30 sec_______________________
_________________________1.5A 3 MODE___________________3 MODE_________________251.5_______1 min______________________
_______________________________________Humm Noise_____________________________ 211.5_______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________ 185.4_______3 min________________________

recDNA

Flashaholic
I wonder if 2 X IMR16340 would do better than 2 X RCR123?

stallion2

Enlightened
I'm looking at getting a drop-in for my C2. I was thinking Malkoff M61, but $70 is really steep... Enter the beaming sun of the 1.5A Thrunite Drop-in. A few questions:

>Does this drop-in blow the M61 out of the water?
>What is the runtime like on high?
>Have the 3 modes been spaced out better than before (low and medium were the same on the first run).

consider this fair warning...i have a 1A and 1.5A Thrunite lamp and think they are great...except for the 1.5A having virtually no difference between mid and low modes. there is one other issue that i've run into w/ those that is especially prevelant if the host is a C2. for some reason the brass pills that Thrunite uses have straight sides. i've seen it nowhere else, all the other pills are slightly tapered down the bottom half. it prevents their pill from being able to settle down as far into the host. mine was in a C2 for most of the year but it took some doing to get it to work, the bezel wasn't even close to being tightened, shimmed it w/ thick washers. the other thing w/ XP-Gs...and this is more true w/ their 1.5A lamp...the chips are pretty delicate. if you overtighten the pill to the reflector then the chip will pop off. if you overtighten the bezel and body such that it bottoms out on the lamp, there is still enough thread play that the pill and reflector can be compressed together enough to pop the emitter loose. i've been down both roads so trust me...its pretty easily avoided if you just know to look for it....
FYI: i love the M61 and both Thrunite's....but the 1.5A version has some serious kick compared to the others.

purelite

Enlightened
wow, I am having a hard time believeing the stats that the 1mode is 100 lumens briter than the 3mode?

How can that be? With only one sample of each being tested there seems a good chance one or the other is/was an over/under performer? In which case how can a decisive purchase be made based on testing one unit?