Powerful light for my trunk?

belomeclone

Enlightened
I have a Nightcore SR3 in my car's console. It is very powerful, even without that elusive extension tube. What is a more powerful flashlight I could keep in my trunk? It's a basic question. Let's not get too carried away with the price, but I'm assuming I can get a brighter flashlight in a larger size because I am not paying for the handheld-ness. Say... 50 dollar range? Or at least 80 dollar range. Is there such a light?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want flood or throw? Would you want the same throw as the SR3 or more throw? I love the SR3 beam and tint. It is one of the best. Do you want to run it on the lithium primaries, 18650, NiMh?

stienke

Enlightened
Mag 3D/4D with a Malkoff XP-G drop in and UCL lens!, or if you have little hands , 3C/4C!:nana:

belomeclone

Enlightened
I like flood lights. But I don't want to get an expensive flashlight and not have it throw very far either :p

belomeclone

Enlightened
The Jet-III looks like it should go in my car instead of the SR3, though I don't know if it'll fit in the spot I have for it. Now I am thinking...

JML

Enlightened
The JetBeam RRT-2 R2 is on sale right now, too, because the newer production has an upgraded LED.

But the Jet-III Military is a fine choice. I actually have that in the trunk, and one of my two RRT-2 lights in the glove compartment. Plus spare batteries, of course.

belomeclone

Enlightened
If I were to buy the Jet flashlight, I wouldn't need my SR3... where would I look to sell it? I should be able to sell it for more than I'd buy a better and newer light for, I think. I've never sold Flashlights before though.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like flood lights. But I don't want to get an expensive flashlight and not have it throw very far either :p
Look at the showerhead dropin for a 2D Maglite ... Use two "3AA to D" adaptors and get a great floodlight at about $25 plus the adaptors ($6) plus your old 2D Mag ... Run it on six AA Eneloops and get over 400 lumens.

For the price , it is unbeatable.

belomeclone

Enlightened
Look at the showerhead dropin for a 2D Maglite ... Use two "3AA to D" adaptors and get a great floodlight at about $25 plus the adaptors ($6) plus your old 2D Mag ... Run it on six AA Eneloops and get over 400 lumens.

That sounds absolutely insane!!

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
Get a stanley HID

3500 lumens
super throw
plenty of spill to see close by

even comes with a car charger cord

about 70 bucks from walmart

belomeclone

Enlightened

Hey, quick question, why do you use the 3AA to D adaptors? Can you not find rechargeable D batteries? What if I bought a 3D Maglight?

And, is this the drop in you had in mind?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/FUSION-36-LED-POWER-MODULE-2-6-C-D-Cell-MAGLITE-/110573870302

Is that the best drop in for a maglite? Or at least, to get a flood.

belomeclone

Enlightened
I bought it. Now what Maglite should I buy? It won't matter if I get a non-LED one, will it? As in, there's no difference besides the part I am removing.

And, will it matter if I get a 3D cell one? Do they sell the D-to-AA converters in stores? I don't know the whole deal here so, anyone? I have no problem getting a 2D Maglite, I just want to make sure I don't get the best one for me. And, am I converting them to AA batteries because they're rechargable?

grumbler

Newly Enlightened
Jash, but why would anyone put a light on their shoe? :D

I can't really help you, belomeclone, but I did just find out today that the Surefire Hellfighter can be powered by any ordinary car cigarette outlet.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, quick question, why do you use the 3AA to D adaptors? Can you not find rechargeable D batteries? What if I bought a 3D Maglight?

And, is this the drop in you had in mind?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/FUSION-36-LED-POWER-MODULE-2-6-C-D-Cell-MAGLITE-/110573870302

Is that the best drop in for a maglite? Or at least, to get a flood.
As far as I know there are no other powerful floody beam dropins for the Maglite at this price ... The Fusion 36 is the one I use and will work with any voltage from two AA cells to six cells as long as you don't exceed nine volts ... The higher the volts the higher the output.

The reason that I would suggest using six AA Eneloop cells in a 2D Mag is that the dropin would be running at nearer its maximum voltage ... I use two 18650's in mine too ... This gives about 8.4 volts on fully charged cells ... AA's are so much easier to use and there are none of the Li-Ion problems that you can get with the 18650's.

There is nothing wrong with using a three , four , five or six cell Maglite if you prefer the physical size of them ... You could even use a 6D with six (single) AA to D adaptors ... Again that would be using six Eneloop AA's.

Of course you could still use C or D rechargeable cells if you wanted ... I don't because of the price of them when compared to the AA size.

You have so many options here ... Just pick the size of torch body that suits you best and put in rechargeables to keep the volts near to nine volts.

You can't go wrong !

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they sell the D-to-AA converters in stores ?
I had mine from Kaidomain but I just checked and I couldn't see any advertised ... If you Email KD they will be able to tell you if they have any 3AA-to-D-adaptors ... They are also sometimes called convertors ... You will need two , plus a couple of spares ('cos they're cheap).

adept1

Newly Enlightened
Something in your trunk is probably going to get used rarely, so it should use lithium batteries. I Solarforce L2 or L2M with CR123s and a decent 5-mode dropin should do the trick and only cost 30-50 (depending on L2 vs L2M). I have a strike bezel on mine (not those crazy ones) just to make me feel a little safer. It's funny that I even think that way here in Singapore, but I'm from Los Angeles!

belomeclone

Enlightened
Something in your trunk is probably going to get used rarely, so it should use lithium batteries. I Solarforce L2 or L2M with CR123s and a decent 5-mode dropin should do the trick and only cost 30-50 (depending on L2 vs L2M). I have a strike bezel on mine (not those crazy ones) just to make me feel a little safer. It's funny that I even think that way here in Singapore, but I'm from Los Angeles!

What's the life cycle on Eneloops? They don't have rechargeable Lithium Batteries do they? Or maybe cheap ones? :p

And about the drop in... if Six AA batteries gets me near the limit, how would having a 3-D Maglite not get me past it? Wouldn't that have Nine AA batteries? *is confused*

Edit: And yes I realized I should have written "boot" after some time of posting this.

Last edited:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
And about the drop in... if Six AA batteries gets me near the limit, how would having a 3-D Maglite not get me past it ? Wouldn't that have Nine AA batteries ?
You would only use six cells maximum , so the 2D does this with two of the "3AA to D" convertors ... 3D would be using 3 D cells.

The monster truncheon 6D would be using six D cells ... That's a real monster.

Just keep nine volts as your maximum.