Photomatix HDR software and Nikon NEF files

Acid87

Enlightened
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody here uses or has used Photomatix the HDR software?

If so has anybody used Nikon Raw files (Yes I know you are supposed to use the raw files anyway. On saying that I never had the following problem using the jpegs) with this software?

My problem is anytime I use this software with Nikon raw files it turns the white balance to a crazy green colour. Although this can be fixed it takes ages and frankly its a pain in the arse.

Wondering if anybody knows of this problem and if there is a solution?

Cheers

marokero

Newly Enlightened
Have you updated the program to its latest version? I haven't used the program, but it sounds similar to what Adobe Camera Raw was experiencing in the past with Nikon unwilling to share NEF data regarding white balance. What if you made the best quality 16-bit TIF conversion from your NEF files, and then use those in Photomatix HDR? I know it's going to add unnecessary steps in your workflow, but that's a work around until this white balance issue is resolved.

Acid87

Enlightened
Have you updated the program to its latest version? What if you made the best quality 16-bit TIF conversion from your NEF files, and then use those in Photomatix HDR?

Yeah the program is the latest version but ill maybe have another look to see if theres an update.
Ill also try the TIF conversion out of interest.

Thanks

FULLSUN

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the program is the latest version but ill maybe have another look to see if theres an update.
Ill also try the TIF conversion out of interest.

Thanks
I have a Nikon Coolpix P1000. Tried to use Photomatix Pro with Nikon NRW file and get crazy green pictures display just like you are. I use Windows 10 and NRW Code is installed. Could you let me know if you found the solution for the problem.

By the way, I just report the problem to Photomatix. Hopefully, they have the remedy.

FULLSUN

Newly Enlightened
I found 2 solutions for this problem:

1- When we drop a Nikon raw file to Photomatix Pro, select AS SHOT for White Balance in the first window of Selected Photo. This will eliminate the very green problem but the picture will not have enough green. Thus picture color must be re-adjusted. Therefore, this option is not very good.

2- Use ViewNX-i software of Nikon to convert raw file to TIFF files. We need 3 TIFF files of low, normal and high lighting by adjusting raw file lighting then converting to TIFF for each lighting. Next, we drop these 3 TIFF files to Photomatix Pro. This bracketing method give very nice result.

icon7.gif
icon7.gif
icon7.gif