Olight T25 R5 vs. Fenix LD20 R4 questions

aau007

Enlightened
I cannot find any review on the Olight T25 R5 version and have to go off what I can read off the Olight web site and several other dealers site.

I am comparing it to the Fenix LD20 and here are the points I don't understand and/or confused.

T25 uses R5 and LD20 uses R4, that I get. Both are rated at about the same brightness and both use 2x AA batteries.
- Olight rates the usage at 50 min vs Fenix rates at 2 hrs. Is R4 that much more efficient than R5?
- Anyone knows which one has a wider hot spot and which one has a better throw?
- They are rated at 210 and 205 lumens accordingly, close enough but do they both mean OTF or emitter?
- at at least a couple of the dealers' web site, they mention the T25 is compatible with 2x 14500 Li-Ion battery but I found reviews on the older Q5 that says don't use 14500. Have they changed the driver on the R5 or those dealers don't know what they are talking about?
- T25 is a heavier light by specs. Does that mean it has more aluminum?

Anomander

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Olight T25 R5 about a week ago.

I don't have the LD20, so I cannot compare the two, but the Olight has a good throw and a good spill, if that makes sense.

I also couldn't understand the massive difference in running time, but I haven't tested it yet to determine how long the batteries actually last at full power.

What struck me was the "yellow" nature of the light, vs. the white light I get from my Led Lenser P7.

Overall I like the Olight, but the Led Lenser definitely outclasses it in terms of brightness and throw. This is obviously due to the adjustable focus of the Led Lenser, which can focus the beam into a very narrow spot, if necessary.

The Olight T25 gives you a decent hot spot, but also gives good spill for indoor use.

It is advertised with a 180m throw. Now I haven't measured it to that extent, but when taking my dog for a walk I managed to light up the registration plates of Cars parked over 100m away down the road.

Good light, overall. But I also wondered why the advertised running times differed so greatly from the Fenix LD20.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the Olight T20 R5, the 2 x CR123 model.

It is a fine light but... it uses PWM on all levels, including high.

If the T25 uses PWM, this explain the lower runtime compared to the Fenix, which traditionally uses constant current drive on all their flashlights.

Regards

Anthony

aau007

Enlightened
I just received the Olight T20 R5, the 2 x CR123 model.

It is a fine light but... it uses PWM on all levels, including high.

If the T25 uses PWM, this explain the lower runtime compared to the Fenix, which traditionally uses constant current drive on all their flashlights.

Regards

Anthony
Is PWM that bad, that would kill over half the run time? Why would Olight be that stupid? Is R5 supposed to be more efficient than R4?

aau007

Enlightened
BTW, has anyone tried 2x 14500 on the T25 R5, which some online dealers claim is compatible with?