Fenix TK45 problem button and rattle

Marbouk

Newly Enlightened
Well my Fenix TK45 came yesterday :grin2:
This is my most expensive torch so far, so i was expecting great things.

However as soon as i had the batteries in and picked her up i felt straight away the movement inside from the battery cassete moving.
I tried to ignore it and carried on playing with it for a bit longer.

Then i noticed that i had to press the left hand button much harder than the right button to cycle through the modes. If i just squeeze the left button until it clicks nothing happens at all. I have to push my thumb in down well beyond just clicking. The right button works everytime.

It`s going back but should i bother with another one?
Does anyone else have this problem?

I`ve lots of cheap torches from deal extreme and have a led lenser p7 and an ITP A1 eos and none of these have these problems.

I`m a little disappointed as it looks so good and the light is excellent.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix has good quality lights and I recommend you stick with it and wait for it to come back. Dont' worry, they'll fix the problem, but to wait for turnaround is annoying after playing with your light a little.

Not too many lights with this quality beam profile AND power... You'll find money for some other lights that you know you already want anyways...

Marbouk

Newly Enlightened
Fenix has good quality lights and I recommend you stick with it and wait for it to come back. Dont' worry, they'll fix the problem, but to wait for turnaround is annoying after playing with your light a little.

Not too many lights with this quality beam profile AND power... You'll find money for some other lights that you know you already want anyways...

Thanks for your reply. I've not sent it back yet, just waiting for flashoholics to get back to me on how to proceed. The only thing that worries me is if all the TK45's are the same and this was a design thing. To stop it rattling, would it not need a different design?

And yes I know I already want a nitecore d11, just want get get this one sorted out 1st before I order :)

richpalm

Banned
I`ve lots of cheap torches from deal extreme and have a led lenser p7 and an ITP A1 eos and none of these have these problems.

Yeah, if you ever get your stuff from DX... I gave up on them. Had to do a Paypal claim to get a refund out of them after something was supposed to be in stock and of course, wasn't. So I canceled the order after it sat and did nothing for two weeks. Never again-stateside only now.

Switches are fine on my TK45. I love mine. My battery carrier rattles a little also, but so do some other lights I have. I wrap a piece of paper around the batteries or carrier. Fixed.

Rich

adam83

Newly Enlightened
OP - You're not alone, there was another thread posted a week or so ago about a hard to press button on a TK45.:confused: Im sure once its fixed the waiting will have been worth it.

...I wrap a piece of paper around the batteries or carrier. Fixed.

Great idea! I just made a cardboard sleeve for my carrier from an empty toilet paper roll (a clean one). Slightly snug fit, zero rattle! The light feels so much more solid now:thumbsup:

Arif

Newly Enlightened
My penny's-worth...

I've recently bought one of these, and from the key angles of overall workmanship, engineering and quality of components - this light is stupendous! And then of course - one of the most versatile and practical torches I'm ever likely to come across - everything from checking up on the baby at night (very low 'low'), to floodlit walks in unlit countryside.

It's actually lovely even as an 'object of beauty' (flashaholic poetic licence, here). I own other things I'd put in the same category - such as the Canon EOS 1V. Simply lovely, solid, functional objects that represent the pinnacle of engineering excellence, IMO.

So - your issue must be a one-off, & do stick with them!

As for the battery-rattle - my personal solution to it was to wrap one round of electrical insulating tape around each cell-stack. This can be stretched to tension - leading to a solid pack which does not rattle at all when inside. It's a totally 'solid' object afterwards.

PSEUDOSENTIENT

Newly Enlightened
On mine the buttons take the same pressure to push and the same pressure to affect a change; on or off, or mode change.

If the rattle bothers you, you might try doing what I did which is to wrap a piece of paper around the carrier the thickness of a post card or index card. Though it was very slight, it bothered me too, and that fixed it.

Good luck. I hope you get a better one when you return it, as they can get it right. Mine is perfect AFAIK and I've been very happy with it so far in daily use at work for the past two months.

Marbouk

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone for your advice.
Flashoholics came back to me and said that they all rattle but my button was faulty and i could exchange or have a refund.

I`m going for an exchange as i can`t put the bloody thing down :)
I think this is the coolest looking torch available at the moment, reminds me of the space shuttles engines lol

The toilet roll trick sorted out the rattle a treat.
Fingers crossed for my new button.

Thanks again.