Fantasy AAA EDC from my wish list - the PREVO!

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been craving a really well made, powerful AAA tail clicky light and have been considering a Preon I with the tail click option or perhaps a Liteflux LF2XT (Hope the the new ones will be out sometime soon, I hear there will be a neutral version.) Both are very good, well executed products but somehow neither of them really fits the bill. The Liteflux seems to be an outstanding product but it has a UI that feels a bit like overkill to me and the Preon, while beautiful, feels almost like a piece of jewelry that you would carry in the pocket of a sports jacket or suit rather than clipped to your jeans. I want knurling! I would love to see a company like 4Sevens develop a product somewhat like the Revo but with a clicky or ITP develop a clicky version of the A3 EOS (or Maratac, of course). Oh yeah, and it needs to accept and function well with a 10440 too! (needs some kind of innovative heat sinking) It should have a Moonlight mode of at least .2 lumen or preferably lower, a well placed medium, high and max settings and a neutral emitter option. And no strobe or blinky modes unless they are well hidden. I'll bet they'd sell like hot cakes. Tiablo made a valiant effort with their recently introduced E3A from their new Exquisite series but they seem to have come up with a light that somehow doesn't quite hit the mark. They are definitely on the right track though and should be credited with recognizing this particular product niche. What we need is a "PREVO"!

jag-engr

Enlightened
... accept and function well with a 10440 too! (needs some kind of innovative heat sinking) ...
It would need new heat sinking technology - especially since you want it to have a "max" setting above the high.

... It should have a Moonlight mode of at least .2 lumen or preferably lower,...
According to 4sevens (who would know) this is difficult to do with a AAA light while retaining any reasonable efficiency and the ability to achieve a bright high (let alone "max").

... a well placed medium, high and max settings...
There really isn't enough capacity in a AAA cell to have much light beyond a high level. On the Fenix LD10, which uses a AA cell, the turbo is only slightly higher than high.

... I'll bet they'd sell like hot cakes. ...
Sure they would - because it would be entirely new technology!

joe1512

Enlightened
It would indeed sell well because it would be able to bend the laws of physics.

No matter what you do, the heat from the LED gets transferred to the skin of the tiny flashlight and it has to go somewhere. It doesn't just magically disappear and the air can only dissipate a relatively small amount of heat from a small surface area object.

Hence, any 10440 light pushing over 100 lumens is going to steadily get hotter and hotter.

A 10440 has a capacity of about 350mah or so, so a safe discharge current of about 700 mA. That is enough for 200ish lumens for 30 minutes from an XP-G.
Unless you found an IMR battery which I am not sure exists in a AAA size. In which case it could pull 1 amp or more, but wow the runtime would be bad. Really bad. Like 15-20 minutes.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK Guys, let's get a bit of a GRIP here, OK?! Firstly, how about going back and reading the first word in the title of this thread, "FANTASY", and perhaps consider that the word "wish" is in there too. This posting merely was positing a concept for a flashlight that I would love to see one day in the (hopefully not too distant) future. One would hope that expressing a desire for a flashlight that would basically be a combination of a Preon 1 and a Revo with maybe a little LF2XT thrown in might generate some interesting speculative dialogue rather than the types of essentially negative responses it has generated so far.

You know, as much as I really enjoy CPF I am amazed at the kind of knee jerk, jump down your throat, righteous attitudes I keep witnessing on these boards. It's like some guys sit around on CPF just waiting for somebody to make a statement they don't agree with or think has its facts wrong so that they can jump in and try to show everyone what know-it-alls they are. It's not that you guys don't make valid remarks, it's that the tone of these kinds of responses miss the point and often serve only as a subtle form of flaming rather than furthering the dialogue and considering the possible.

Along with that, it is really, all in all, rather short sighted. Many of the flashlights we carry ED provide performance that was unimaginable only a few short years ago (or less!) in the areas of size, output, beam quality and functionality, yet today we take them for granted. Did anyone imagine the sophistication of the UI in the Liteflux LF2XT a few years ago, particularly in a light that size, or the current regulation in the new AAA Revo with it's "Smart High Mode" (Smart Max some might call it), or the performance of an XPG-R5 in a AAA light running a modern battery like a lithium or NiMh? Many are even happily running their Preon 1's and other lights on 10440s with no problems. (ask member DHart for his thoughts on this)

When people make comments like, "It would indeed sell well because it would be able to bend the laws of physics", they come across sounding like some 19th century pundit claiming that man will never be able to take to the air, a vehicle would never be able to travel at 100 miles per hour or more, much less under it's own power or one could never build a skyscraper 2,717 ft tall. On a more mundane level it brings to mind the examples of a wooden tennis racket or golf club that evolved to the use of aluminum alloys and then on to carbon fiber or the use of vacuum tubes before solid state electronics.

I have no doubt that if I hadn't made the comment, that my fantasy AAA light "would need some kind of innovative heat sinking" I would have had my head handed to me about the entire issue of heat sinking altogether, but I mentioned it because indeed I am aware of this challenge along with other obstacles in creating my proposed fantasy AAA light. Still, the comment was made that, "It would need new heat sinking technology - especially since you want it to have a "max" setting above the high." Well, yeah, duh, that was exactly my point.

So, when it comes to "bending the laws of physics" or "needing a new heat sinking technology", I'm all for it. Maybe you guys haven't noticed what is going on in the field of material science these days but some astonishing advances are being made. There are numerous examples too many to count but for the purposes of our discussion here I'll focus just on heat sinking materials of which there are many new entries in this category alone. We have graphite foam, CoolPoly® Thermally Conductive Plastic heat sinks designed specifically for LEDs, and in particular a rather amazing new heat sinking product called CarbAL from Applied Nanotech Holdings (formerly SI Diamond Corp.) a nanotech company I have been following since 1993. We've all heard the term nanotechnology for so long that it's easy not to notice the progress being made. This new heat sinking technology actually exceeds the thermal conductivity of copper and offers thermal diffusivity two to three times that of conventional materials, and it can be machined! Sooner or later these new technologies will work their way into the flashlights we know and love along with potential other new materials for forming hosts and in all likelihood, newer battery technologies with new efficiencies as well. And of course, maybe, just maybe, we'll see some new LEDs come down the pike with performance we can't quite envision today. Ya' think?

For me, I'll keep fantasizing and wishing and imagining what might be cool to have in a new flashlight and you guys keep doing whatever it is you are doing, but thanks for your input.

Last edited:

doubleshot

Newly Enlightened
yeah, I hear ya Ezo, I only have a couple of flashlights, PD10Ti and a quark 123, but I'm keen to get a single triple A. The ones you have mentioned are the ones I've most been interested in... oh and the tanks007, They seem pretty nice looking, a bit slim on options though.

JDest

Newly Enlightened
Once again, another good post by my man EZO. Couldn't agree with you more on all counts, bud. And I'm referring to your second post. Without going into too much detail, the elitism and the know-it-all attitudes taken on this forum kill me sometimes.

Back on topic from your first post. As you already know from our mutual interest in the unfortunately dissapointing Tiablo E3A, I would LOVE a light that meets the criteria you mention. Ability to take 10440 is surely a must for the high output we desire and it would also need a really good circuit to also reach that low low that most CPFers want. (I don't really need the lowest of the lows, but long runtimes sure are nice.:thumbsup:) Clicky is a must and sacrificing a few mm is definitely worth it, especially if the overall length can be held to under 90mm which is already easily being done by AAA format lights. Gimme those with a solid build and I'll be one of the first in line.:twothumbs

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Hey EZO, I kind of think the LF2XT is your fantasy light, or at least much closer than you think. About the only thing it lacks is the knurling and a more "rugged" look. Pretty much meets the other criteria. Yes, the UI sounds complex, but in use it can be as simple as you want. The learning curve is not that tough.

I'm amazed no one else has tried to match it's specs in a AAA light, cause it's UI has been around for around four years, first in twistie form. A new model from LiteFlux certainly will be interesting.

Geoff

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without going into too much detail, the elitism and the know-it-all attitudes taken on this forum kill me sometimes.

Back on topic from your first post. As you already know from our mutual interest in the unfortunately disappointing Tiablo E3A, I would LOVE a light that meets the criteria you mention. Ability to take 10440 is surely a must for the high output we desire and it would also need a really good circuit to also reach that low low that most CPFers want. Clicky is a must and sacrificing a few mm is definitely worth it, especially if the overall length can be held to under 90mm which is already easily being done by AAA format lights. Gimme those with a solid build and I'll be one of the first in line.

Hey JDest,

Thanks for your post. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has an issue with the "attitude" we sometimes encounter on this forum.

Yeah, we seem to be on the same quest for the have-it-all AAA light and it's really too bad that the Tiablo E3A turned out to be a bust. In fact, if you've been following Selfbuilt's review of the light they seem to have an unfortunate propensity to fry themselves on 10440s.

Saturday evening I was at an outdoor party where everyone was sitting around one of those round steel fire pits. When somebody dropped something in the dark I found myself trying to operate my ITP A3 EOS with one hand and a plate of food in the other and although do-able it was really kind of a pain, plus it took awhile to cycle through the modes when I needed more light since I've got the newer L/M/H model. It made me remember once again why I prefer tail clickies. I went and retrieved a Quark AA Tactical from my truck for the rest of the evening's festivities.

I guess it was my experience with my Black Cat HM-01 that got me going on my quest for a high quality powerful AAA light with a tail clicky. So, in the meantime, just to quell my flashaholic urges for a little while and for the cheap thrills of a new light that costs less than 10 bucks I ordered a LION'S S-A7 to play around with. It takes a 10440, has a tail clicky and is less than 82mm long. (DX 42670) When it arrives, if there's something to write home about I'll post my experience with it.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey EZO, I kind of think the LF2XT is your fantasy light, or at least much closer than you think. About the only thing it lacks is the knurling and a more "rugged" look. Pretty much meets the other criteria. Yes, the UI sounds complex, but in use it can be as simple as you want. The learning curve is not that tough.

I'm amazed no one else has tried to match it's specs in a AAA light, cause it's UI has been around for around four years, first in twistie form. A new model from LiteFlux certainly will be interesting.

Geoff

Flying Turtle, I think you are right. In fact I would have one by now but they just haven't been available anywhere. As soon as the new ones are out I plan to order one. Even if it's not "THE" AAA light of my dreams I guess I could "make do" with it for now. :D

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle, I think you are right. In fact I would have one by now but they just haven't been available anywhere. As soon as the new ones are out I plan to order one. Even if it's not "THE" AAA light of my dreams I guess I could "make do" with it for now. :D

Post a "want to buy" post in the marketplace. Maybe someone would be willing to part with their LF2XT.

--flatline

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your suggestion flatline. I had thought of that actually, but like I mentioned it's my understanding that the new ones will feature some enhancements, particularly a newer emitter and an option for a neutral tint and so I'd hate to buy one off CPFMP and then think, "damn!", I shoulda' waited.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Actually the old one like mine does have a neutral tint, at least it's supposed to be. When I first got it the beam seemed quite golden compared to the typical cool lights. Now compared to my QMini AA warm it seems almost cool.

Geoff

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the old one like mine does have a neutral tint, at least it's supposed to be. When I first got it the beam seemed quite golden compared to the typical cool lights. Now compared to my QMini AA warm it seems almost cool.

Geoff

When I bought a LF2XT for my wife, it claimed to have a 4C (4B?) tint. Comparing against my 5A and 5C tint lights, I believe it. It's really nice.

--flatline

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Funny you should say that.I just bought an lf2xt on the mp with a wtb ad.It has the 4C tint which is somewhat cooler then the usual 5A tint.Besides the big UI there is the CUI.In the CUI it always turns on at 50%.Clicks to high then low.My lf2xt will ship tomorrow.Damn you Columbus day! :hairpull:

Andy

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took at look at Steve Ku's web site and see that there are two versions of the LF2XT offered (both out of stock). There's a neutral XP-E Q4 and a cool white XP-G R5.

I'm trying to remember where it was that I read about a newer version of the LF2XT but I'm drawing a blank. Internet information over-load I guess.

For all the specs listed at expandku.com no specific tints are mentioned though.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got it the beam seemed quite golden compared to the typical cool lights. Now compared to my QMini AA warm it seems almost cool.

You know, you bring up an interesting point. I've noticed that my older lights seem to have color tints I never really noticed before until I got to compare them with my lights with newer emitters, even "cool white ones". The Malkoff M61 I bought is a good example and perhaps the Quarks as well.

jag-engr

Enlightened
...It's not that you guys don't make valid remarks, it's that the tone of these kinds of responses miss the point and often serve only as a subtle form of flaming rather than furthering the dialogue and considering the possible.

But many of the things you are suggesting currently aren't possible - that was my point. There are many possible combinations of real-world features that would make for excellent flashlights, but you are requesting features for which the technology does not exist.

I would love a flashlight with a self-contained, stable, self-regulating nuclear power source that would last indefinitely, but I don't post that a manufacturer should come up with one because I realize it's not currently possible. LED technology is advancing in steps, not in bounds.

The tone of your post isn't "flashlight innovations that I would love to see combined", it's more of a "list of ideas that I have that manufacturers should use". Is this a "knee-jerk" response? Consider your original post:

I would love to see a company like 4Sevens develop... ...it needs to accept and function well with a 10440 too!... ...It should have a Moonlight mode of at least .2 lumen or preferably lower... ...Tiablo made a valiant effort with their recently introduced E3A from their new Exquisite series but they seem to have come up with a light that somehow doesn't quite hit the mark.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
jap-engr,

So, it took you an entire week to come up with this reply?
What point exactly are you trying to make that you didn't essentially make a week ago?

Look my friend, if you would like to engage in a genial conversation speculating about a desired future design for a flashlight, perhaps one that uses new techniques and materials, then great.

On the other hand, if you wish to present yourself as a self righteous know-it-all who is fishing for a pissing match, please go elsewhere.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Just wait..... 5 years ago nobody even dreamed a AAA led light would be able to put out even 40 lumens. As LEDs get more efficient (and available too) there will be 150, 175, 200+ lumens/watt LEDs in lights where they are using 90-120 lumens/watt today. A 200 lumen/watt LED would be able to put out twice the lumens for the same energy AND run longer because of lower Vf would make for more efficient boosting off a single AAA battery. It may be quite possible that one day you can direct drive an LED off a 1.5v battery and get.... 1 lumen out of it.. without a boost circuit which means moonlight would be 100% efficient. I don't hold much promise for fancier heatsinking technology instead I see more efficient LEDs driving things instead.

jag-engr

Enlightened
jap-engr (sic),
So, it took you an entire week to come up with this reply?
No, I'm browsing this forum - not stalking you. I browse through threads and reply as I see them.

What point exactly are you trying to make that you didn't essentially make a week ago?
I wasn't making a new point - I was defending my previous post from your rant.

On the other hand, if you wish to present yourself as a self righteous know-it-all who is fishing for a pissing match, please go elsewhere.
Man, chill out - we're all here to have fun. :grouphug:
If my previous posts offend you, please ignore them and continue your discussion.

Edit to Add:

In the spirit of good-will, I would like to contribute to your original post with this input:

I think that if Zebralight ever ventured into the AAA realm, they could get close to your ideal light. The new H51 get as low as 0.2~0.3 lumens and as high as 200 (allegedly) on an AA Eneloop! Their flashlight line (SC) is designed to run on any AA-sized cell, but their headlamps are optimized for NiMH (which seems to be doing well enough with their current circuit).

They would have to redesign their clicky to fit into a AAA-sized light. I think a metal electronic clicky, as used in the LF2XT, would be ideal, preferably with a trit slot! They may also need to lenghten the head of the light (and hopefully stream-line it) to provide the necessary heat-sinking to run on High for any length of time.

Personally, I'd be most excited abot a tiny angled, headlamp-style light, but if they come out with that, they'd probably come up with an equivalent AAA flashlight, too.

Last edited: