Single AA light

rwasham

Newly Enlightened
So Im looking for a single AA flashlight for use as an edc but also as a backup to my issue light for patrol. Im looking at both the Nitecore defender infinity and the Olight I15. If you all had to pick which light would you choose and why?

Imon

Enlightened
You might want to look into Zebralights.

I have a ZL SC50+ and it's decent. I like the low-low setting in particular. Also, the UI is pretty decent and the light comes with a headband.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
If Zebralight, then you could even wait for the upcoming Zebralight SC51.

When you say AA do you mean only Alkaline ? or are you considering NiMH, Lithium or even 14500 ?

A really compact and light weight one is the Quark Mini AA however it is a twisty. Actually if you were to consider this then the Quark Mini 2xAA would still be quite compact.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
The Olight T-15 is pretty good with a simple UI, but I think it's a bit on the large side for a single AA light.

I'd say check out the JetBeam BK135A, Lumapower Trust 1 or the Quark Tactical AA R5. All good choices and all very bright on a 14500 battery.

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
I loved the Nitecore Defender - great little backup light or for edc.

That's the backup light I use with my SF E2DL - more often the light I lend to a friend when they don't have one.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
Neither of the two. Take a look at the Streamlight PT 1AA, a great little EDC light from a company you are no doubt familiar with.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=199

I've carried one for a little over a month and absolutely love it. It's not as bright as some of the other lights listed, however, it's plenty bright for it's size (50 lumens OTF on High), and you can't beat the Streamlight lifetime warranty.

JBorneu

Enlightened
Nitecore Defender Infinity.

Still the most sturdy and reliable light in it's size AFAIK. Once you've handled an NDI, most other lights seem thin-walled and flimsy.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
1+ for the NiteCore Defender Infinity.

Cool tactical light, great as a backup. It is very sturdy and will serve you well, but it's not the brightest AA light out there, if output is what you are looking for.
The Zebralight SC51 will be a great backup too!

I would choose the NiteCore, bright enough, very cool, can use 14500's, it also have a great bezel for self defense.

Last edited:

Tolip

Newly Enlightened
I've got an Olight T-15, and love it. It could be a bit smaller, and a bit brighter, though. I imagine the Nitecore is a better light in several ways.

red02

Enlightened
Nitecore Defender Infinity.

Still the most sturdy and reliable light in it's size AFAIK. Once you've handled an NDI, most other lights seem thin-walled and flimsy.

I've had a brand new NDI start going to high when the bezel was loose. Then it would go back to the preset bezel-loose level. Many, too many threads about problems with Nitecore for me to trust them again.