What should've been your second light

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
Imagine back to when you bought your first LED light/upgrade, however long ago that was, and how awesome it was, and how much you wanted another LED light that would surpass that.

If you could send suggestions back in time to when you were going through that stage and had found this forum, what would you say?

Since it's been a long time for a lot of you, you've had some time to figure out the pros and cons of lights, and there must be one light that you wish you could've gotten first, rather than going through many lights to find the one that is "perfect" to you.

I'm hoping to be able to use the knowledge of the more experienced people around here to help me make a choice on my second light.

My parents don't like the idea of me spending money on unnecessary stuff like flashlights (please restrain yourselves from debating that comment) and so I'm very limited on the amount of money I can spend on this. I can't go through and try a bunch of lights till I find one I like. (another way to put this is "I can only buy a light every two years, so the choice better be good")

Of course, a lot of what makes a light "perfect" is personal preference, as that differs a lot between people. So if you could include what makes your choice better than ones you've tried, that would be helpful.

My basic requirements are that the light be a simple 2-mode AA clicky light for approximately $40. If you've tried a light that fits this criteria I'd like to hear about your experiences with it.

Alternately, if you have a light that you think would be better off for a beginning flashaholic that falls above my price range or uses a different battery type and can provide good justification for it, then I'll happily accept that too.

[ I have limited LiIon charging capabilities (using a hacked camera battery charger), but keep in mind the price of batteries. To keep shipping costs down it would be good to pick a seller that sells batteries as well as lights. ]

Thanks in advance to all who provide input on this. Hopefully other beginners will be able to use this as well.

shipwreck

Enlightened
I have like 21 or 22 lights now - my fav light of ALL the makes, models and brand si the Eagletac P20C2 Mk II - It falls outside the specs you listed, but you also stated that we could give you alternatives if we thought somethingw as worthy.

I love the combo of flood/throw. And, it has 300 actual OTF lumens for 1.7 hours, with a medium setting of 60 lumens for 13 hours. I got this light for light $64 shipped from Illumination Gear. Great size for carry too.

As for 123 batteries - instead of paying $5.95 for 1 Energizer, you can head up to lowes and buy a 2 pack of 123 Surefires for $4.99. You could get them even cheaper online - but it's easy to pick up a set here and there, and they seem cheap after paying more than that just for 1.

That's my 2 cents. It's only $20 or so above your original price range, but I think you'll be extremely happy. I read for 2 months on this forum - adding and subtracting brands and models... Over and over, until I made my choice. Great light!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have told myself to buy an HDS EDC. The HDS has a great low to high spread, is tough, water resistant and has a great UI. I would also have been sure to tell myself to get a Surefire U2 and to not worry about the donut hole in the beam.

iacchus

Enlightened
Keep an eye on the marketplace for somebunny selling a 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical.
Clicky. Two mode (user chosen from a pool of five or eight or something like that, I set mine and never touched it again).
XP-G, nice floody beam.
It is a few dollars above your $40 budget if bought new ($57.00 shipped), but a fantastic light. When you can scrounge up a tenspot for a 14500, it will kick out around 200lumens. This way you get the practicality of an AA light with the available wow factor/practiaclity of a li-ion in one package.
Who knows, you might get lucky and see one within your budget pop up.

Last edited:

vermeire

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix L1T was my second light and I would recommend you try one as well.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=334

+1

The L1T v2.0 was actually my first light. And it fits your criteria perfectly. I'd check around online for pricing. I know a few months ago REI was closing them out for $38 if I remember correctly. I almost bought a couple just to have around. Just make sure you are getting the v2.0!

Your criteria specify AA but they you mention charging lithium batteries; are you thinking 14500's or are you open to going to a 123 powered light? You will get more performance out of a 123 powered light with or without rechargeable batteries compared to AA.

I'd be prone to keep an eye out in the market place and try to get a deal on something "used". I just scored an LF3XT for $30 and it is mint. Good luck.

Burgess

Flashaholic
. . . . to help me make a choice on my second light.

Perhaps you can tell us which flashlight you chose for yer' FIRST ? ? ? :whistle:
What does it lack ? What area would you want improvement ?

My basic requirements are that the light be a simple 2-mode AA clicky light for approximately $40.

If AAx2 is acceptable, i really LOVE my 4Sevens Quark Turbo flashlight.
Once you've programmed it to your tastes, it is indeed "a simple 2-mode clicky light".

Price is somewhat over your amount, but it's not outrageous.
Don't forget to use "CPF8", to get the CandlePowerForum 8% discount.

Oh, and Good Luck.

:wave:
_

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My basic requirements are that the light be a simple 2-mode AA clicky light for approximately $40. If you've tried a light that fits this criteria I'd like to hear about your experiences with it.

iTP SA2 - $40.00 my favorite light

If you want just a single AA light, seriously consider the ITP SA1. Seems to fit your requirements almost perfectly and comes in right at $40 (less with CPF discount).
Or even the older C9R or C9T which can be had for $30.

If I were to give my old self advice from the future (present?), I'd advise myself to buy lights that are upgradeable (either via module swaps or have easy access to the LED, though there's still the limitation of the drive circuit if modifying this way). I have some lights that are sealed and stuck with the old LEDs...LuxIs which put out about 30 OTF lumens (what many lights use as a "low" output these days).

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first serious LED flashlight was a Fenix E20. It now belongs to my 10 y.o. son.

My second was a Fenix L1Tv2 which is now my best friend's EDC light.

From there I went to a Quark AA2 R2, then a Jetbeam, and so on.

I now EDC an SC50w+ with an L91 every single day (I feel naked w/o it and my SOG Salute in my pocket), and a Quark AA Q3/5A with an AW 14500 in my bicycling/messenger bag as well.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd make sure to get a D10 with a Q3/5A and an LF5XT. I regret that I missed the boat on both of those lights and now kick myself regularly that I didn't understand at the time what great lights they are.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
after my 3xAA maglite LED quit on me at work I did some research for a new light, because my current light just didnt cut it. At the time i was completely ignorant, never even heard of surefire. after a few online searches I noticed surefire, and fenix poping up all the time. dug deeper, and ordered a olight M20 R2 for $66 shipped. wow! what a light! then i ordered a D10, H501 and H501w(gifted the H501, and kept the h501w) then some quarks, then some jetbeams. a few other brands, then finally got my hands on some surefires, and havent looked back. I used to buy my lights based on specs. but now its all the little things that matter. from tint, beam, knurling, feel, warranty.

my most recent light is a high CRI ra clicky. and honestly its the ultimate edc for me so far. tough as nails. rugged. dependable, excellent energy efficiencey. customizable, water proof up to about 60 feet. perfect beam. with high cri! its rated max is 100 lumens. which was what kept me away from it. but i rarely even use its max of 100 lumens.

right now im willing to get rid of all my lights, except my high CRI clicky, my oveready C2 bored for 18650 with SST drop-ins, and of course my zebralight H501w. Ra clicky being my go-to EDC. C2 being my main work light. and h501w for just being so damn useful.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first proper Led light was my trusty Streamlight AAA cell Microstream,still going like a good un after 3 years of trusty service,well many lights further on and a good few £ spent,think with hindsight should have saved all the spent £,s and bought one of these HDS clicky thingies, many members seem to rave about but being honest have no clue yet about them but I trust the others to know a good light when they see one.

Also for any budding lover of lights,the Itp A1/A2/A3 is more than a good starting point,just as I type I have completed the triple and received in my mail this morning the A2,very good value any of the 3 and they are a sure favorite with loads of our members.

By the way I think you have posted a very credible and interesting thread and I have a feeling you are going to have a huge amount of replies to and I look forward to all the replies you get,great thing hindsight.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Solarforce, but I'd suggest the L2r. It's a 2xAA P60 host. From there you could experiment with cheap dropins using all sorts of different emitters until you find exactly what you want. You can then invest in a more expensive, better quality dropin.

This way you only buy one light. You're just buying a few extra parts for testing :)

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA2 Tactical has to be the best all rounder. Throw is not all that great unless it's for showing off or spotting animals. 90% of the time you use a light it's to see within 30 metres (100 feet) and anyone who argues otherwise is simply lying.

If I lost all my lights but one I'd want to keep my Malkoff MD2 h/l, failing that it would be the Quark.

They are the two most used lights out of about 30 in my collection, and oddly enough, they have an almost identical beam profile.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Well, I only joined recently. So my first light was a Malkoff MD2 with the M60, and my second light was the V2 Wildcat.

Pretty sure the second light shouldn't have been anything else.:D

fishx65

Enlightened
Solarforce L2 :poke:
ITP - AAA

:devil:

This is exactly how I would start today. Any Solarforce that takes P60 dropins and a aaa Maratac or ITP. If you wear a ballcap, the aaa takes care of headlamp duties.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
My words of wisdom. The one thing I have always regretted was going cheap. I have since quit that practice.

I'm really trying to be as sincere and non-condescending when I say this; IMHO 40$ really doesn't go far when it comes to quality lights.

From your post I gather that you are young and have a limited budget. I've been there too, it's not fun. What I realized was that I'm more satisfied getting something that I had to save up for and that was of better-good-great quality than going after instant gratification and getting something I'm not overly happy with.

If you're able bodied I suggest you canvas the neighborhood looking for odd jobs. It's fall here and that means the leaves are falling. There has to be a neighbor that wouldn't mind hiring you to clean up the leaves. Charge a couple of bucks per bag of leaves and you have just expanded the range and quality of light that you can afford.

I believe you'll take better care of the nicer light that you worked hard to obtain.

Good luck.

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
My words of wisdom. The one thing I have always regretted was going cheap. I have since quit that practice.

I'm really trying to be as sincere and non-condescending when I say this; IMHO 40$ really doesn't go far when it comes to quality lights.

From your post I gather that you are young and have a limited budget. I've been there too, it's not fun. What I realized was that I'm more satisfied getting something that I had to save up for and that was of better-good-great quality than going after instant gratification and getting something I'm not overly happy with.

If you're able bodied I suggest you canvas the neighborhood looking for odd jobs. It's fall here and that means the leaves are falling. There has to be a neighbor that wouldn't mind hiring you to clean up the leaves. Charge a couple of bucks per bag of leaves and you have just expanded the range and quality of light that you can afford.

I believe you'll take better care of the nicer light that you worked hard to obtain.

Good luck.

This is exactly the situation I'm in right now.

I've had my fair share of cheap-buys-gone-wrong, which is why I'm trying to make a better choice this time around.

I know that $40 is a very limited budget, which is why I said that I'd take a look at more expensive options if they were worth it. From what I gather, a lot of them are.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
For around $40 on AA...Quark Mini AA Neutral. Nice tint. Can run on AA or AAA which is an added bonus. I can drop it in my pocket & forget it's there during the day.