Powerful, Single-Mode Flashlight

belomeclone

Enlightened
From what I have read up on, lights get up to the 50-100 dollar range because of multi-modes. Not only that, I never have any reason for multi-modes. I just need it to turn on, full blast, and then turn off :p So what am I looking at? And a 18650 battery is the norm? Or maybe two AAs?

Also,
I have a Smartring SR3 in my car right now. Any good idea where to sell it? Is the CPF Marketplace a good choice? What about eBay? Or should I try craigslist? Ideally I'd sell it for equal or more money than what my new one will cost (It's supposed to retail for 120, but I wouldn't charge that much.)

flip

Enlightened
Belomeclone, you need to decide what you want your new light for and how you will carry it to help narrow down your choices. Then you need to decide what kind of batteries you want to deal with and what kind are available to you. That should narrow down the choices considerably.

As for selling your light, check to see what they are going for on the Marketplace and on Ebay. You might be able to trade it for something that you want.

belomeclone

Enlightened
Belomeclone, you need to decide what you want your new light for and how you will carry it to help narrow down your choices. Then you need to decide what kind of batteries you want to deal with and what kind are available to you. That should narrow down the choices considerably.

As for selling your light, check to see what they are going for on the Marketplace and on Ebay. You might be able to trade it for something that you want.

I won't mind the battery choice, if I can find a rechargeable one. I would like it to be handheld, I could get specific size restrictions later today, the SR3 is 107mm and fits rather nicely in the spot I have for it, though there is a bit of wiggle room. As for what I want it for, I guess something with a bit of throw to it, but probably either a big spot at the end of the throw, or a bit of a flood to it. I just like power. I'll have a drop-in flood maglite, so I don't need it for flood. Plus my keychain has a decent light on it, so I think to complete the trio, a spot shape would be ideal. Plus, flashlights that shape are almost always throwers, so why fight it?

belomeclone

Enlightened
Shameless bump for other ideas. I guess single-mode flashlights really don't exist much in the higher price ranges?

Coyote302

Newly Enlightened
Peak LED has many high power single mode lights with various optics and battery combinations. Check out the Law Enforcement series if the Mountain series isn't enough.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Maybe a solarforce L2 + 18650 extension and a ~$65 drop in? Malkoff comes to mind immediately but I'm sure nailbender could make something to your liking.

belomeclone

Enlightened
What are those videos/images of throwers where I guess it is a little drizzly outside, and you can just completely see the beam it is forming. That is an awesome sight.

I'd like to carry something like that around, if it's even possible.

Edit: All of the most powerful throwers I can find are two or three years old and all sold out. What's up with that?

Last edited:

belomeclone

Enlightened
I need to be able to do research on a flashlight - especially a 100 dollar one. I'm having trouble finding information on that one, or a site that will sell it for less than 100 dollars.

I'll buy it at cost if I can sell my SR3 for 120 though, haha.

Jannis

Newly Enlightened
Itp r01 is real good one mode bright light. It has about the same throw and size as fenix tk11, It`s rechargeable from usb port, and cost
45$.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi belomeclone.

Might be a little over the $100 mark, but if you want a single mode, solid as a rock, bright, kick-*** torch, have a look at the Elektrolumens EDC-MCE.

RedFalconBill

Newly Enlightened
http://www.sbflashlights.com/Solarforce-L2-p4.html

Is this really going to be as powerful as it says with drop-ins? Do other flashlights this size and price really exist as well? Could they go up to, say, 300 lumens?

The short answer is no, it will not be 300 Lumens. It will not even be the 250 the ad copy says it is.

The Solarforce R2 drop in has been measured, by members, to be ~190 to 210 Lumens. If you key word search on 'actual lumen' or something, you will see the threads.

There is also an umpteen page thread somewhere here about 'show off your solarforce' or something like this.

I think that Solarforce is among the best of the SF clones.

What are you using this light for?