SureFire E2L AA Outdoorsman Review

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED-Resource has posted our review of the SureFire E2L AA Outdoorsman! Click here to read our review.

Key Specifications
  • Brightness: 80 lumens high, 3 lumens low
  • Runtime: 9h high, 60h low
  • Battery: 2 x AA
  • Length: 6.6″
  • Bezel Diameter: 1″
  • Weight with Batteries: 4.9 oz.
  • Warranty: Limited Lifetime
  • MSRP: $180

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tailcap Current Measurements

NiMH
1.459V each Duracell Pre-Charged DX1500 (HR3-UTG)
0.045A - low
0.308A - high

1.338V each Sanyo Eneloop HR3-UTGA (brand new, manufactured May 2010 and stored for five months)
0.045A - low
0.385A - high

Alkaline
1.593V each Duracell Ultra MX1500
0.045A - low
0.317A - high

Lithium
1.696V each Energizer Lithium
0.044A - low
0.287A - high

Runtime Test

E2L-AA_Runtime.png

Last edited:

goldenlight

Enlightened
It is a COMPLETE mystery to me why ANYBODY would spend $165 on a 2AA flashlight with the MEGA suck TIR optic, a relatively feeble max output of only 80 lumens, and only 2 levels: max output, and 3 lumens. NOTHING in between.

Yes it's a SureFire, and yes, it's very well made.

Beyond that, it's really crap compared to what HALF that price will buy you in MANY other 2AA flashlights: double the output, AT LEAST. MANY useful light levels, to models with INFINITE adjustable output .....cough....NiteCore D20...cough....

And TIR optics. REALLY? I made the mistake of buying a flashlight with TIR optics....about 5 or 6 years ago.

NO spill light at all. Neat little square of light...and nothing else...if that's what you like.

I sure didn't.

TIR optics: state of the art at SureFire....about 6 years ago.

If I wanted to spend $165, on a flashlight, I'd buy 2, or more likely, THREE other flashlights, and be FAR better served than this lame offering from Surefire.

SureFire has become the General Motors of the flashlight world: introducing flashlights that are YEARS behind it's competition.

Reacting, instead of innovating.

And $165. For a 2AA flashlight with TIR optics (OPTICS!) that produces 80 lumens, and 3 lumens.

Lame.

$165.

Not from me, and not from most people, would be my guess.

I suppose SF will get some military and LE contracts for the E2L AA, and will continue to make money from it.

If you buy one, and think it's the best thing since sliced bread: well, whatever floats your overpriced, under engineered boat.

pulstar

Enlightened
Sorry, but i don't know how you can comment about something that you clearly don't have a clue. Have you even tried the latest TIR equipped lights? Seen some beamshots of them? No? Well, in that case you're a GM of the flashlight knowledge world:poke::twothumbs(just kidding). You really should check some reviews. Regarding output: I'm sure that 80lumens is the absolute minimum of outputted light, since every Surefire light puts out more light than stated in specifications(LX2 made 240 OTF lumens in BigC's test).

Be proud of a company that refuses to make big profits with outsourcing their production and still gives american citizens jobs they need to feed their families. Company that stands behind it's products for the lifetime.

tygger

Enlightened
Be proud of a company that refuses to make big profits with outsourcing their production and still gives american citizens jobs they need to feed their families. Company that stands behind it's products for the lifetime.

SF is a private company, which means we do not have access to to their bookkeeping data.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TIR Optic is freaking awesome.

I have heard that the older (3~6yrs ago) Surfire had the Luxeon TiR Optic which offered all throw and no spill...Man what I would do for that optic.:cool:

The E2L AA Outdoorsman looks like it need a high current driver from the flashlightshoppe. 5 Watts here we go.

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review!!!

for thread info..

OLD vs NEW.. HUGE DIFFERENCE in spill yet you still get some great throw!

E2L(top), LX2(bottom), My hand(holding both)lovecpf
5066671831_7eb63e6060_z.jpg

ETA: beamshots(fixed exposure) of both It really is like that.. completely dark outside the old style, and good spill outside the new style.
5066694021_7c28f4bfa3_z.jpg

Last edited:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Edited....

hmmm, do i see a slight donut? :sick2:

since it doesn't get anywhere near warm (refering to heat, not tint), i personally would prefer diffuser film to smoothen the beam. but that's just me. :grin2:

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Thanks for the review! Nice to get some real world feedback on this light. It's not one I'd consider adding to my collection of E-series but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in hearing about it.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose SF will get some military and LE contracts for the E2L AA, and will continue to make money from it.

You do realise it is not designed for 'tactical' purposes don't you? Hence the name... "Outdoorsman". How much light would a person really need in the middle of the night in the middle of no where by a camp fire?
By the way you have overlooked the plain obvious, it comes as no surprise to me that you have no clue as to what the TIR optics are like these days... they are nothing like they were 5-6 years ago that's for sure... so maybe they have innovated, not just reacted?

Great review OP, you don't deserve your efforts to be tarnished by an over opinionated/outspoken person.
Great pictures too.

:)

pulstar

Enlightened
If you guys are OK with it, i would ask some of the moderators to delete a few posts (this one included) that have nothing to do with review of E2L AA.
Thanks again Robin, i really enjoyed this review, as well as your review of Maglite XL100.

* And what's wrong with GM either? Nicely priced and safe cars (atleast for europeans), good design and after "bankrupcy" they introduced some really appealing models. Too bad they don't export their vehicles in europe...

jellydonut

Enlightened
I don't see the big issue with TIR optics. You have a throwy, focused beam, that you can choose to diffuse with a diffuser filter if you want.

If you have a floody beam.. Can you put a cap on the light to turn it into a spotlight? Nope. With a thrower? Sure!

It increases the utility and value of the light.. As long as you have a diffuser for it. Frost a transparent plastic cap from somewhere if you really don't want to pay $10 for one. :crazy:

I wish more manufacturers offered TIR optics, I want to see what the XP-G can do in one.

jellydonut

Enlightened
What, Surefire will use the XP-G in the LX1? I thought Surefire had a stone tablet that said they couldn't use an emitter before it was at least two years old.:nana:

Or are you implying that you think it'll be delayed until holiday season 2011?:p

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you guys are OK with it, i would ask some of the moderators to delete a few posts (this one included) that have nothing to do with review of E2L AA.
Thanks again Robin, i really enjoyed this review, as well as your review of Maglite XL100.

I think the mods will leave it. Unless it's very flameful, these debates happen. When you start deleting every minor off topic thing, people will start complaining that posts disappear

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
I actually quite like it!

Its based off a platform I'm familiar with and like. And takes much more readily accessible batteries.