ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SureFire E2L AA Outdoorsman Review

Default SureFire E2L AA Outdoorsman Review

LED-Resource has posted our review of the SureFire E2L AA Outdoorsman! Click here to read our review.

Key Specifications
    • Brightness: 80 lumens high, 3 lumens low
    • Runtime: 9h high, 60h low
    • Battery: 2 x AA
    • Length: 6.6″
    • Bezel Diameter: 1″
    • Weight with Batteries: 4.9 oz.
    • Warranty: Limited Lifetime
    • MSRP: $180
    Last edited by Robin24k; 10-05-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Default Re: SureFire E2L AA Outdoorsman Review

Tailcap Current Measurements

NiMH
    1.459V each Duracell Pre-Charged DX1500 (HR3-UTG)
    0.045A - low
    0.308A - high

1.338V each Sanyo Eneloop HR3-UTGA (brand new, manufactured May 2010 and stored for five months)
    0.045A - low
    0.385A - high

Alkaline
    1.593V each Duracell Ultra MX1500
    0.045A - low
    0.317A - high

Lithium
    1.696V each Energizer Lithium
    0.044A - low
    0.287A - high

Runtime Test

Last edited by Robin24k; 11-08-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Ohgeez Re: SureFire E2L AA Outdoorsman Review

It is a COMPLETE mystery to me why ANYBODY would spend $165 on a 2AA flashlight with the MEGA suck TIR optic, a relatively feeble max output of only 80 lumens, and only 2 levels: max output, and 3 lumens. NOTHING in between.

Yes it's a SureFire, and yes, it's very well made.

Beyond that, it's really crap compared to what HALF that price will buy you in MANY other 2AA flashlights: double the output, AT LEAST. MANY useful light levels, to models with INFINITE adjustable output .....cough....NiteCore D20...cough....

And TIR optics. REALLY? I made the mistake of buying a flashlight with TIR optics....about 5 or 6 years ago.

NO spill light at all. Neat little square of light...and nothing else...if that's what you like.

I sure didn't.

TIR optics: state of the art at SureFire....about 6 years ago.

If I wanted to spend $165, on a flashlight, I'd buy 2, or more likely, THREE other flashlights, and be FAR better served than this lame offering from Surefire.

SureFire has become the General Motors of the flashlight world: introducing flashlights that are YEARS behind it's competition.

Reacting, instead of innovating.

And $165. For a 2AA flashlight with TIR optics (OPTICS!) that produces 80 lumens, and 3 lumens.

Lame.

$165.

Not from me, and not from most people, would be my guess.

I suppose SF will get some military and LE contracts for the E2L AA, and will continue to make money from it.

If you buy one, and think it's the best thing since sliced bread: well, whatever floats your overpriced, under engineered boat.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters".
    -Albert Einstein

"La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid"
    Pierre Ambroise Francois Choderios de LaClos (1741-1803)

Oh where to start......
    Ah nevermind. Not worth the effort.

Sorry, but i don't know how you can comment about something that you clearly don't have a clue. Have you even tried the latest TIR equipped lights? Seen some beamshots of them? No? Well, in that case you're a GM of the flashlight knowledge world(just kidding). You really should check some reviews. Regarding output: I'm sure that 80lumens is the absolute minimum of outputted light, since every Surefire light puts out more light than stated in specifications(LX2 made 240 OTF lumens in BigC's test).

Be proud of a company that refuses to make big profits with outsourcing their production and still gives american citizens jobs they need to feed their families. Company that stands behind it's products for the lifetime.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post
    Be proud of a company that refuses to make big profits with outsourcing their production and still gives american citizens jobs they need to feed their families. Company that stands behind it's products for the lifetime.

SF is a private company, which means we do not have access to to their bookkeeping data.
    Keep it simple.

Lets all play spot the belligerent troll.

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
    Lets all play spot the belligerent troll.
    Found him.
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

BTW, very good review, thanks!

The TIR Optic is freaking awesome.

I have heard that the older (3~6yrs ago) Surfire had the Luxeon TiR Optic which offered all throw and no spill...Man what I would do for that optic.

The E2L AA Outdoorsman looks like it need a high current driver from the flashlightshoppe. 5 Watts here we go.
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Flashaholic

Thanks for the review!!!

for thread info..

OLD vs NEW.. HUGE DIFFERENCE in spill yet you still get some great throw!

E2L(top), LX2(bottom), My hand(holding both)

ETA: beamshots(fixed exposure) of both It really is like that.. completely dark outside the old style, and good spill outside the new style.
    Last edited by freeride21a; 10-10-2010 at 02:02 AM.

Edited....

hmmm, do i see a slight donut?

since it doesn't get anywhere near warm (refering to heat, not tint), i personally would prefer diffuser film to smoothen the beam. but that's just me.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 10-10-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks for the review! Nice to get some real world feedback on this light. It's not one I'd consider adding to my collection of E-series but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in hearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenlight View Post

I suppose SF will get some military and LE contracts for the E2L AA, and will continue to make money from it.
    You do realise it is not designed for 'tactical' purposes don't you? Hence the name... "Outdoorsman". How much light would a person really need in the middle of the night in the middle of no where by a camp fire?
    By the way you have overlooked the plain obvious, it comes as no surprise to me that you have no clue as to what the TIR optics are like these days... they are nothing like they were 5-6 years ago that's for sure... so maybe they have innovated, not just reacted?

Great review OP, you don't deserve your efforts to be tarnished by an over opinionated/outspoken person.
    Great pictures too.

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

If you guys are OK with it, i would ask some of the moderators to delete a few posts (this one included) that have nothing to do with review of E2L AA.
    Thanks again Robin, i really enjoyed this review, as well as your review of Maglite XL100.

* And what's wrong with GM either? Nicely priced and safe cars (atleast for europeans), good design and after "bankrupcy" they introduced some really appealing models. Too bad they don't export their vehicles in europe...

Flashaholic*

I don't see the big issue with TIR optics. You have a throwy, focused beam, that you can choose to diffuse with a diffuser filter if you want.

If you have a floody beam.. Can you put a cap on the light to turn it into a spotlight? Nope. With a thrower? Sure!

It increases the utility and value of the light.. As long as you have a diffuser for it. Frost a transparent plastic cap from somewhere if you really don't want to pay $10 for one.

I wish more manufacturers offered TIR optics, I want to see what the XP-G can do in one.

Then be on the lookout for the LX1.

Flashaholic*

What, Surefire will use the XP-G in the LX1? I thought Surefire had a stone tablet that said they couldn't use an emitter before it was at least two years old.

Or are you implying that you think it'll be delayed until holiday season 2011?
    Last edited by jellydonut; 10-10-2010 at 04:03 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post
    If you guys are OK with it, i would ask some of the moderators to delete a few posts (this one included) that have nothing to do with review of E2L AA.
    Thanks again Robin, i really enjoyed this review, as well as your review of Maglite XL100.
    I think the mods will leave it. Unless it's very flameful, these debates happen. When you start deleting every minor off topic thing, people will start complaining that posts disappear

I actually quite like it!

Its based off a platform I'm familiar with and like. And takes much more readily accessible batteries.

Glad you guys enjoyed the review.

Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    I think the mods will leave it. Unless it's very flameful, these debates happen.
    The post really only shows his incompetence. It's clear that he neither read the review nor looked at the pictures, as I specifically mentioned the E2L AA's spill and lack of throw, and the comparison picture with the Maglite 2AA LED shows how wide the beam is.

Quote Originally Posted by nick-nack View Post
    Its based off a platform I'm familiar with and like. And takes much more readily accessible batteries.
    That is probably the main selling point of the light (and also why I had my sights set on getting a review unit). I don't know if SureFire is going to introduce more AA-based lights or if this was just "testing the waters", but there are definately customers who may be holding back because of the CR123A or would like more commonality with other equipment.

Flashaholic*

I find this new 2AA Surefire to be interesting but have one objection about it: why is the output higher than the 2CR123 model? (It should be the opposite) This seems to be made primary for Lithium and for NiMh cells. In my opinion one strong reason for an AA based light is the possibility to using alkalines as well. But with such a high output (I assume the 80 "Surefire-lumens" as usual is corresponding to much more than 100 "Fenix-lumens") the stable output with alkalines likely will be very short. Anyone who has made any test about it?

Possibly efficiency or a better design (since the KX1B head is new)? The battery voltage of 2 AA's is closer to 3.7V than 6V, and with lithium AA's, it's almost there.

I can run some tests with alkalines (pretty easy to compare brightness subjectively, the E2L AA and Maglite XL100 are similar in brightness, so I can use the XL100 as a reference point), but I don't have equipment for making charts or measurements.

I was wondering how does E2L AA beam profile compared with Fenix LD20+/Quark AA^2 R5

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Robin24k View Post
    Possibly efficiency or a better design (since the KX1B head is new)? The battery voltage of 2 AA's is closer to 3.7V than 6V, and with lithium AA's, it's almost there.

I can run some tests with alkalines (pretty easy to compare brightness subjectively, the E2L AA and Maglite XL100 are similar in brightness, so I can use the XL100 as a reference point), but I don't have equipment for making charts or measurements.
    If you have a lightmeter you can measure the percentual difference with ceiling bounce test, which I use to do. It would be nice if you compared Lithium and/or NiMH to alkalines and see when the true brightness drop occurs.

Thanks in advance, Patric

Unfortunately, all I have is a multimeter...I will try to see if I can get you a rough estimate of when that occurs though, I'll add that info to the second post once I have results.

great review. i like this light.
    here is my e2l aa next to my e2l

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    I find this new 2AA Surefire to be interesting but have one objection about it: why is the output higher than the 2CR123 model? (It should be the opposite)
    Given Surefire's habit of updating the emitter bin faster than revising the official lumens rating on their packaging, it's quite possible that the E2LAA and a new E2L have about the same output in real life...

Thanks for the runtime data, great review.
    >>Opinions expressed by red02 do not necessarily express the opinions of the company or its subsidiaries. Facts stated by red02 are not necessarily facts.<<

Quote Originally Posted by red02 View Post
    Thanks for the runtime data, great review.
    Stay tuned...the alkaline test is still in progress at the moment.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast