LEO looking for your recommendations

AmicusCuriae

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I am a first time poster with a dilemma and I would like your help.

I am a law enforcement officer and I just lost the Surefire E2E Executive Elite that has served me well as an everyday carry light for the last three years. I am looking for a new tactical light to replace my E2E and I don't know many brands other than Surefire/Streamlight very well so I figured I would ask the experts for advice. Please give me your recommendations based on the following criteria:

- I would like a high quality, powerful LED light with at least a high and low setting, and I would prefer a strobe setting as well.
- It must be a true tactical light with a tail cap where I can get the high setting with one click. I don't want to have to do multiple clicks, presses, and/or twists in a high stress situation.
- I work exclusively in plain clothes, so it needs to have a pocket clip. That pocket clip needs to be strong; I broke at least half a dozen clips on my old Surefire when they got snagged on various things (fortunately they have excellent customer service and always sent me replacements).
- Nothing too short or too long - I don't want anything shorter than 3" or longer than 5.5".
- While cost isn't a huge factor, it can't be ridiculously expensive - no more than $175. If I can get good performance out of a cheaper unit, I would certainly prefer to spend less money.
- It can't have any strike bezels or spikes. I don't want anything that can get jammed up or put a hole in my pocket. Besides, if I am going to wack something, I am certainly not going to use my flashlight!

Given my criteria, what do you suggest? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your advise!

Regards,

AmicusCuriae

Last edited:

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Surefire is good. There is another American company HDS that is apparently ultra reliable as well. Some would argue that they are more reliable than Surefire. But nothing is more reliable than having a backup. I use a Surefire 6P as primary and the HDS Clicky as backup.

The HDS is a high CRI high color rendering index meaning it is good for distinguishing colour. It is around 100 lumens and is more than enough light to disrupt the night-adapted vision of an assailant. You can program it like I have, so that when you click it on, it goes straight to maximum power.

My Surefire 6P is bored to take an 18650 with a Malkoff M61W dropin. It is a wonderful light. The HDS sits in my pocket as my EDC.

Jetbeam is reliable. I don't own any...yet, but will be buying a bunch soon.

But nothing could be more reliable than a backup, or a backup to a backup.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
btw, regarding clips, you can get the HDS Clicky, and there is a titanium clip available

wv1xz6.jpg

iacchus

Enlightened
Since you are in a line of work where the flashlight must be of the highest quality and ultra dependable, the two best brands in your budget range, in my opinion, are Surefire and the above mentioned HDS.

You know Surefire. Before you decide on anything, look into HDS. Here is a link to their website.

AmicusCuriae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. A couple of follow up questions:

Are Surefire and HDS generally considered more reliable than the cheaper brands like Streamlight, Quark, Fenix, Olight, etc.?

How much stock should I put in lumen ratings? Is a 110 lumen light from Surefire brighter than a 110 lumen from a cheap brand? It seems like the cheaper brands advertise much higher lumen ratings than the comparable models from the more manufacturers - do some brands fudge their numbers a bit?

Thanks,

AmicusCuriae

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
+ 1 for the HDS Tactical Clicky.

The strobe setting would probably be useful to you plus you have another 3 presets. Even with the 17670 battery compartment and tactical button, the light won't be more than 5.5" long. The 17670 compartment with tactical button would actually make it easier to operate especially whilst wearing a glove. Also, I believe Henry has previously posted that it's bombproof design will cope with the recoil of a shotgun so it can used as a weapon light.

And :welcome:

Last edited:

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a flashlight expert, but I do the whole handcuff thing. For a pocket light I've been really happy with my Quark AA tactical. It meets almost all of your criteria except the clip isn't the most heavy duty. I still push a radio car, so I have a Streamlight PT2AA on my belt, an Eagletac P20A2 MkII in my sap pocket, and my SL20X.

An added bonus is the ability to use Eneloop-type rechargeable AA batteries for all three lights.

iacchus

Enlightened
Are Surefire and HDS generally considered more reliable than the cheaper brands like Streamlight, Quark, Fenix, Olight, etc.?

Put simply, yes.
I think you would find that Surefire and HDS would take top spots in a poll about reliability and durability with regard to production flashlights around here.
I feel it comes down to two points.
1. Build quality.
Both brands are really high quality lights, and trade on that fact. Both brands see use in the military. Not to knock the cheaper (but good) lights that you mentioned, Surefire and HDS/Ra are just built to be tough as part of the engineering/design process of the lights.

2. Warranty/service.
Both brands stand behind their product 100% and are well known for that fact. It says something about the quality of an item if the manufacturer stands behind it completely.

How much stock should I put in lumen ratings? Is a 110 lumen light from Surefire brighter than a 110 lumen from a cheap brand? It seems like the cheaper brands advertise much higher lumen ratings than the comparable models from the more manufacturers - do some brands fudge their numbers a bit?

Many brands advertise the highest possible lumen rating at the emitter (not considering things like the glass which reduces output). On some cheaper lights, I reduce advertised lumens by 1/4 or so to get some rough idea of what it would be in real world use.
Some manufacturers test the actual lumens the finished light puts out (commonly referred to as Out-the-Front lumens, of OTF).
HDS are well known for giving exact lumen readings for their lights. As a matter of fact, each light is individually calibrated to give you what it says on the tin.

I do not know how Surefire measures their lumen output, but I would be more apt to trust them than some other brands.

Hope that helps.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
How much stock should I put in lumen ratings? Is a 110 lumen light from Surefire brighter than a 110 lumen from a cheap brand?

Some brands rate actual and near actual (hds/sf). Most brands rate based on theoretical numbers provided by LED makers. Even if the the LED is perfect and running 100%, this still excludes losses from lenses, reflectors, and optics. If it seems overrated (which you've already felt), it usually is.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff md2 with a hi/lo swtch, and add the the clip for it. Its compact, easy on the pocket (nothing to get stuck), and simply amazing. No strobe, but what do you need strobe for?. it only makes the ui more complex (multiple clicks).

njet212

Enlightened
If you still love and want to use Surefire, go with surefire E2DL 200 lumens version. Simple UI just low and high, selecting brightness by half press the tail cap.

Direct report review and feedback from a LEO could be found here.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and :welcome:

+1 on the Malkoff MD2 with hi/low ring. The Malkoff is a brand I easily put in the same quality range as Surefire and HDS, possibly even better than Surefire. I think it would make for the best duty light I own the switch is awesome and easy to activate with heavy gloves and the momentary on is perfect IMO it has great feedback allowing to easily keep it in momentary mode without clicking into constant on accidentally. I consider it small enough for EDC in plain clothes and also large enough for duty use at about the same size as a 6P.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thinking aloud here but I can't imagine that the HDS Clicky could be quickly deployed since it has a bezel up configuration. Is there any way to do a bezel down clip?

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Just thinking aloud here but I can't imagine that the HDS Clicky could be quickly deployed since it has a bezel up configuration. Is there any way to do a bezel down clip?

The HDS Clicky now comes with a bezel down clip as standard.

Another light that should be considered is the Elzetta. It is around 5", has a 2 stage output, uses Malfoff drop ins, it's built like a tank, has momentary on, and it is a weapon light. Oh......and it's cheaper than the Malkoff atm and IMHO it's better looking.

AmicusCuriae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for your advice; it has really helped me in my search!

As of right now, I am leaning toward going with the HDS Tactical series. Which lumen level would you recommend? Will there be a visible difference between 120, 140, and 170, or will it be more a matter of better run-time at higher illumination levels?

Thanks again,

AmicusCuriae

Last edited:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for your advise; it has really helped me in my search!

As of right now, I am leaning toward going with the HDS Tactical series. Which lumen level would you recommend? Will there be a visible difference between 120, 140, and 170, or will it be more a matter of better run-time at higher illumination levels? Is there a specific retailer you recommend I purchase HDS products from? This light is at the upper end of my budget for a flashlight. It looks like many HDS dealers offer free shipping or discounts of some sort which could lower the cost versus ordering directly from HDS; if I don't order off the HDS website, do I risk getting an earlier/different version of this light? Did any of you order yours from a dealer?

Thanks again,

AmicusCuriae

There's not much difference between the 170 and the 140. In fact the 170 steps down to 120 after burst and there is a perceptible difference if you are paying attention when it steps down. It is easy to miss, though. I ended up getting the 170Cn but more for the longer run times at the lower-mid levels. If 170lumens isn't enough for you, check out the Elzetta ZFL-M60 Dual mode http://www.elzetta.com/zfl-m60FAQ.htm

I just ordered one yesterday from Flashlightsngear for $126 with the CPF discount. http://flashlightsngear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=48

AmicusCuriae

Newly Enlightened

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I've seen some people use a Novatac and a Solarforce clip on them for a bezel down carry. They will also fit in holsters suitable for the Surefire 6P size lights. There's also this.

Cheers.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Also chech out the 2nd pic in this sales thread for an Elzetta with the Novatac clip.

p.s. Don't get me wrong, the HDS Clicky is my favourite light and it's programmability makes it more versatile. I just don't know what will suit you better. You can't go wrong with either of these lights. Do what I did and get both !!!!

Last edited: