Can LEDs change tint?

chicken dave

Newly Enlightened
I have had a Zebralight SC50w for a couple months. When I first got it, the tint seemed very yellow - I considered returning it. Using it this morning, it occurred to me that it doesn't seem yellow any more. It's a creamy white that I find very pleasant. So, is it possible that the tint has shifted, or is it my perception that has changed?

hcb

Newly Enlightened
I am by no means an expert, but I would not be surprised if the plastics used in the collimator could change color (or rather, become colored) when they age. This should of course not happen under normal operating conditions.

Or, you have just gotten used to the tint of the light :)

PerttiK

Enlightened
I once thought neutrals looked too yellow, but after using couple of neutrals outdoors without any other light sources, they now look very pleasing.
Indoors for short bursts they appear quite yellow.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a petzl myo xp with SSC P4 that started out with a severe yellow/green tint but over a couple of years turned regular cool white. it seems as though the colour of the die itself has changed and not the dome. weird

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, you have just gotten used to the tint of the light :)

This is a definite possibility. When I'm using my Quark a lot on moon mode, it's most definitely greenish, but after a while it looks pure white to me. Then I switch to another light for a while, back to the Quark, and it's greenish once more.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
Yes they can change.

Even diamonds can...they irradiate them to force the shift.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Too much heat or voltage can make it change tint, I am guessing by ruining or altering the phosphor somehow. I don't know if it's normal that it changes under normal running conditions.

I used 3 CR123s on a unit that could only take 2 for just a couple of seconds, and now it's got a border of 'pimp purple' in the spill.:( I'm just glad it still works at all.