Toughest Pocket Clip

revance

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to help my friend get a good LED light for EDC.

Here are his requirements:

-- VERY sturdy pocket clip that is tough enough to use outside a pocket and just clip on a belt. It must be removable/replaceable in case it gets messed up and needs bent back into shape or replaced.

-- He would prefer single or 3 stage... no strobe/SOS etc.

-- Output > 80 lumens

-- No larger than 2xCR123

-- Either have really good runtime or accept rechargeables (open to any battery config).

-- ~ $65. Maybe $85 if it was something he was REALLY sold on.

His biggest requirement is the pocket clip. He had a cheap Ultrafire C1 that he carried on his belt for a long time until the clip no longer held and the tailcap spring broke. He decided that since he wore a cheap one out, it was time to get a better light. However he doesn't want to carry in a pocket or in a holster, he really just wants it to clip on his belt.

My experience with pocket clips is only the SF C2, which I have worn on a belt with no problems. However that exceeds his budget. I was going to have him check out the Fenix lineup. Any other recommendations for a good quality LED with a really tough clip?

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
The 120 lumens HDS EDC can be had on the MP for $85. The big clip that many seem to complain about would likely work well for your friend's uses.

In case you don't know what it looks like: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/260475 (first and second pics)

They no longer come with that big MOLLE clip as standard. They all now come with the black bezel down clip. Although, I do find it very sturdy. An alternative is to source an aftermarket titanium clip for the HDS EDC, or you may still be able to buy the MOLLE clip at one of the approved dealers.

But the HDS EDC Clicky 120 lumen would be a good choice IMHO.

revance

Newly Enlightened
That is a great suggestion, and I will pass it along to him. However I think he was going to ask for it as a Christmas gift, so MP isn't a great way for him to get it. Something he can acquire new in his price range is probably best.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Another suggestion is the Leatherman Serac S3. It has 3 levels (Max=100lumen), fully regulated, clicky, HAIII coated, SS bezel, waterproof, shockproof, 1 x CR123, 10yr warranty, has a strong reversible wire clip, and IMO quite good looking.

Check out Carrot's review https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/210489

The light is discontinued but there are plenty still available. I got mine on eBay about 6 weeks ago for $30 !!! Bargain !!! But a more realistic price would be $55.

p.s. I believe the S3 was made by Fenix for Leatherman.
progress.gif

Last edited: