The biggest flashlight test from Russia

alefedos

Banned
You can see many flashlights in our beamshot comparasion. We did it for you to help with buying the right flashlight.

ENGLISH VERSION
RUSSIAN VERSION

Let me tell you about shooting parameters for these tests.
As you can see there are four modes of view for flashlights called Road, Road 2, Wall and Body.
I used my Nikon Coolpix P5100 photo camera with tripod.

Road.
There are 2 targets on the road. They are 2-litre Fanta bottles with some water for preservation of stability during a wind. The distance to 1st target is 25m and to the 2nd is 75m. Some photos contains 3 targets (3rd=100m). All the flashlights are directed on the second target. The height of tripod with flashlights is 1m (like most of bicycle handlebars). The tripod with photo camera is situated a 1m before the flashlights tripod with the height of 1.45m (like your eyes when you riding).
Shooting parameters.
Focal length: 8mm (Focal length in 35 mm film: 35mm)
The angle you (camera) see is 90 degrees
Aperture size: F/3.0
ISO speed: ISO200
Exposure time: 1/2s, 2s, 8s

Road 2.
The same as Road, but the tripod with photo camera is situated a ~4m before the flashlights tripod to show you the light in near zone.

Wall.
The distance from photo camera to wall is 4m. The distance from flashlights to wall is 3m. The angle you (camera) see is 90 degrees, but for flashlights it is about 105 degrees.
Shooting parameters.
Focal length: 8mm (Focal length in 35 mm film: 35mm)
Aperture size: F/3.0
ISO speed: ISO200
Exposure time: 1/60s, 1/16s, 1/4s, 1s, 4s

Body.
This view mode contains the photos and specifications of flashlights. Many information will be there later.

Please, feel free to ask any questions about this test.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: The biggest flashlight test from Russia

Wow, that's got to be the best interface and comparison method I've ever seen, this definitely raises the bar, nicely done. Keep that right up :thumbsup:

YouSirCPF.jpg

supasizefries

Enlightened

Wow I love the format of your beam shot comparisons. It makes it so easy to compare lights. Thank you for your time and effort into making this!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jay611j

Enlightened

Wow, that is really cool. Its got all the lights that i'm looking at buying too!! :D

yuk

Newly Enlightened

Where can I find a Stasikoff flashlight? :huh:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

that is an amazing comparison, its good to be able to see how the light illuminates at fixed distances, i am especially liking the Ultrafire RL-2088 but am swayed by the toughness of the TK40.

GREAT beamshots, keep 'em coming!!

Burgess

Flashaholic

to Alefedos --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

_

twirky

Newly Enlightened

You can see many flashlights in our beamshot comparasion. We did it for you to help with buying the right flashlight.

Excellent presentation of the results!

Was the white balance set the same for all of these? If it wasn't auto, it can be used to compare color cast. (At least approximately due to it redued to red/green/blue filters by the digital camera).

What do people think about including a color test chart in the scene with beam tests, both just to look at for a subjective opinion, or to calculate the actual spectrum. (would need a sunlight control for that).

greenLED

Flashaholic

This takes the prize as the best first post EVER!! :rock:

:welcome: to CPF!

alefedos

Banned

Thanks for your words, I'm happy :). This test was done by 2 people: all the photos are mine, but the interface was done by prcoder - my friend from velomania. We spent a lot of time thinking up really easy and interactive interface for our tests.

yuk, Stasikoff is one of the russian flashlight engineers, who makes flashlights from DIY parts.

Knifemaster

Newly Enlightened

Best beam shots ever:candle: The road gives the light more depth and a real life dimension much better than wall shots or graphs.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

ouch. I've been bested in 1 post.

nice shots and webpage!
i've been thinking of doing something like that.

leee

Newly Enlightened

Where are the pictures? I can select lights, road/road2/wall and exposures, but there aren't any pictures displayed.

weathermaker

Newly Enlightened

very nicely put together...please continue to add more lights when/if possible.

ditto...the Stasikoff looks impressive

gsxrac

Enlightened

OMG that is an amazing first post! That had to take a TON of time and effort but I appreciate it a LOT! And I will 2nd or 3rd the question about the Stasikoff bike light! Where and how much :huh:

lovecpf :welcome: