"Tuning" of JetBeam Jet IIIM

Ventzy

Newly Enlightened
I was curious, is there thermal paste, in my JetBeam flashlight and how they made.

To open this flashlight, is need to screw to counterclockwise metal ring (at the picture). After that, is needed to unscrew plastic ring. There is a problem, becouse usually those rings, have some glue. Be carefull with plastic, it is possible to be, not usable after this procedure.

HPIM6688.JPG

HPIM6685.JPG

HPIM6640.JPG

LED wires, are directly soldered to driver, with short wires. According to my taste, wares was to small diameter. I change them. LED itself must be removed from opposite side (front), after removing glass and reflector.

JET IIIM is constructed very well mechanically, but there was, no any thermal paste. LED board was only pressed from reflector and small plastic to the wall. I don't know, may be this is enought, but I prefer good old way, with thermal paste.

LED itself:

HPIM6664.JPG

Driver rear end (battery side):

HPIM6666.JPG

and front side:

HPIM6667.JPG

without reflector and LED - front side:

HPIM6669.JPG

LED with thermal paste, ready for montage:

HPIM6672.JPG

front side with new wires:

HPIM6673.JPG

LED mounted at it's place:

HPIM6678.JPG

Very subjective, but I feel that flashlight, start to be hot much more quickly than before.

Last edited:

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Nice work and nice pics!

Should be very useful for those who would like to swap in a xpg r5.

Seems that your thermal transfer is much better now. It should sustain the lumen output longer now without dropping off as much due to heat.

Ventzy

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure, about XP-G. I have already JETIIIM with XP-G. Reflector itself have hole with different diameter and LED (never checked) must be driven with other current. Strange, but in my JET IIIM/R5 inside, was silicon thermal paste. In other JETIIIM/R2 (I have 6 pcs.) no one have thermal paste...