Olight M20S, M30 Triton, or 4Sevens G5 Maelstrom for Work EDC?

Tyranthir

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I've come up with three more candidates. I'd be carrying the flashlight on a daily basis and it would likely be replacing my Fenix PD30 R5 at work doing security.

The three candidates right now are the Olight M20S, M30 Triton, and the 4Sevens G5 Maelstrom.

I was wondering if you guys could steer me towards one out of the three that might suit my needs?

- Very bright high end
- Easy to operate, not too many crazy modes
- Decent throw and flood [Better than the PD30 R5]

Additional flashlight suggestions are also welcome!

Thank you!

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
I think the size of the light will be very important if you'll be carrying. The olight and maelstrom will be pretty close to what you already have.

I think a tk30 would be a nice addition to your pd30. I'd prefer a tk30 to a m30. The m30 has annoying pwm on the lower modes.

It's nice to have a small and light torch for the main work and keep a larger high output light available for when you really need it.

Last edited:

Tyranthir

Newly Enlightened
Will you be holstering or pocket carrying?

I think the size of the light will be very important if you'll be carrying.

I say get a high output thrower such as a m31 (m30 has annoying pwm on lower modes) to compliment your fenix. Or even a tk30 would be a nice addition to what you already have.

It's nice to have a small and light torch for the main work and keep a larger high output light available for when you really need it.

I'd likely be pocket carrying in one of my back pant pockets.

SuprWHP

Newly Enlightened
i would definitely go with the m20s. i use mine on job, and it does wonders. i previously owned a surefire 6p, L4, and a few other ultra bright lights. but the m20s, for the price and application is unbeatable. also dont let these other guys try and tell you theres "flicker" on the lower modes. idk where that started but myself, along with a few other posters here, havent noticed it even once. for the size, battery life and application, you wont be disappointed.

jcalvert

Enlightened
i would definitely go with the m20s. i use mine on job, and it does wonders. i previously owned a surefire 6p, L4, and a few other ultra bright lights. but the m20s, for the price and application is unbeatable. also dont let these other guys try and tell you theres "flicker" on the lower modes. idk where that started but myself, along with a few other posters here, havent noticed it even once. for the size, battery life and application, you wont be disappointed.

Tyranthir,

I concur with SuprWHP, I had two G5's and sent them both back. The G5 and M30 are probably too big to carry in your back pocket, accept if your OK with it, then it doesn't matter, but up to a point, right? The M20S would be the smallest, but it still has tremendous output and for me personally, as a general purpose light, it strikes a great balance between flood and throw. But of course that's based on my preferences!

With the M20S, I do not see any evidence at all of PWM flicker. Also, even though it utilizes an XPG-R5 LED, somehow Olight figured out how to eliminate even the slightest evidence of any donut hole effect, because mine throws a strong, but perfectly full and fairly tight hotspot that transitions nicely into its spill and does so on all three constant light levels. If I ever need more throw, I simply go to my dedicated thrower which also has a perfectly full hotspot. The medium level's lumen output is right where it should be, somewhere in the middle of the high and low levels. And the low is just right for nightime maneuvering without waking others. My wife really appreciates that she can activate the strobe, if needed for self-defense, without having the light already on from the tailcap switch. The M20S is one of my two favorite general purpose lights and I would bet that you would like it as well.

John

s.urfer

Newly Enlightened
...also don't let these other guys try and tell you theres "flicker" on the lower modes. idk where that started but myself, along with a few other posters here, havent noticed it even once...
I reckon it is not as much a problem of visible flicker, but especially in the lowest mode, the pwm creates some kind of stroboscope effect. You will notice it, when moving the light rapidly or when you look at a moving item, e. g. a ventilator.

Other than that, I'm very happy with my M20S...

qazx

Newly Enlightened
my friend recently got the g5 but the m30 is much brighter and the tint less blue.
ive never seen any pwm flicker on any modes in the m30.