Tactical Quark AA or other AA light?

aEx155

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to pick a 2 mode AA clicky light for around $40 and I'm torn between these two. (although alternatives can be considered)

The Quarks are know for their high quality and they're really great lights, but at ~$50, it's going to be tough to convince my parents to get me one.

The Fenix E21 is a lot cheaper at ~$35, and it's 2 mode, but that's all there is to it, unlike the Quark.

EDIT: I have expanded my search a bit. See reply #23

Last edited:

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix E21 or Tactical Quark AA?

The Quark AA Tactical is by far the superior light.

I'm sure you can scrounge up the 15 dollar difference. Better yet, just get a part time job and buy whatever light you want, by yourself.

thrasher

Newly Enlightened

Tell them you want the
Dereelight Javelin 3S :D

You might just end up with the Quark

TJx

Newly Enlightened

Poor warranty experience with 4Sevens on my 1st (and last) Quark purchase says Fenix is the only choice between the 2.

aEx155

Newly Enlightened

The Quark AA Tactical is by far the superior light.

I'm sure you can scrounge up the 15 dollar difference. Better yet, just get a part time job and buy whatever light you want, by yourself.

I have the money, it just, my parents won't allow me to get it since I'm having a hard time justifying the cost.

So far I've gotten a vote for the Quark and against the Quark...?

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened

Got it, didn't mean to jump to conclusions, sorry.

But get the quark if you can swing it. If you choose to go "fenix" then look into the pd30 r4 instead of the E21.

The E21 is a budget offering from fenix. It's using an xp-e and is a two mode only light without momentary on.

The quark has more output, more flexible with batteries, more configurable output choices and forward clickie with momentary on.

PerttiK

Enlightened

Quark has more output, but less throw than E21.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

The E21 is a budget offering from fenix. It's using an xp-e and is a two mode only light without momentary on.

E21 has forward clicky switch with momentary on. And it feels more solid and better built than Quark.

vickers214

Enlightened

It depends on what you need it for, The Quark has really low modes for indoor stuff, but to be fair if your planning indoor stuff you may be better off with a 1AA light for size. It also has flashy modes which seems to appeal to the minority and i personally dont see the point in them.

I have a 1AA Quark R5 and the build is mediocre to say the least, rough threads, terrible oversized clear O rings which make the head hard to turn, and smudged lettering on the side, and the R5 it came with had a green tint:sick2: It now has an R2 in it (like the E21) and it has good throw and nice tint now.
I veiw my Quark like a Alfa, it is not the best but it has character and i do like it, but My Eagletacs and Fenix lights blow it away in quality.

Have you thought about the Eagletac P100a2? I have the Q5 (it is now an R2) and after the javlin it is the furthest throwing 2AA light there is I believe?It is only £4 more than the E21 over here so it may be in your parents comfort zone, i understand where they are coming from i suppose, they will see 'flashlights' in the barging bin for $5 and think they are great!

vickers214

Enlightened

I don't want to open a can of worms but it seems that the QC on some Quarks is poor, from what ive experienced and read on here.

Dont get me wrong I understand most people have nothing but good to say about them, but there is a few more grumbles than other brands, well from what searching I have done in my time on here.

I would still get another though, and I dare say if i did it would be better than the one I have.

Spketch26

Newly Enlightened

TJx, would you mind expanding on your issues with 4sevens? Until now I have read nothing but great reviews about them. I ordered a quark aa2 yesterday and now I'm having second thoughts...
I did have an email exchange with their customer service department and I received a response in less than 2 minutes.

aEx155

Newly Enlightened

It depends on what you need it for, The Quark has really low modes for indoor stuff, but to be fair if your planning indoor stuff you may be better off with a 1AA light for size.

I currently have a 1xAA that I hacked together, and the output is on the low side already, so I'm the moonlight mode of the Quark isn't really a factor.

The main reason I said that I wanted Tactical version of the Quark was because I only want two levels. I like the whole "set it and forget it" setup where you can just pick two modes (most likely low and max/high rather than cycling through other modes)

Any more votes for the Quark or the E21?

MK9

Newly Enlightened

I've had my Quark for over a year. Even though I do not use it everyday (I'm on my 3rd or 4th set of batteries. I mostly use the 4 and 22 lumen setting) I have not had a problem with it. I am not a Quark loyalist but mine has served me faithfully. And would not hesitate to buy another if it fit my needs at that time.

Good day

Newly Enlightened

I have the money, it just, my parents won't allow me to get it since I'm having a hard time justifying the cost.

So far I've gotten a vote for the Quark and against the Quark...?
Why you want to buy the Quark ?Fenix E21 is also a wonderful light .You can buy the Quark if you really really want to own it ,but as you said your parents won't allow you to buy the Quark ,so you must think more :)

aEx155

Newly Enlightened

It depends on what you need it for, The Quark has really low modes for indoor stuff, but to be fair if your planning indoor stuff you may be better off with a 1AA light for size.

I already have a 1xAA that I hacked together, and that's already fairly low on output, so the "low low" of the Quark isn't a deciding factor for me.

Why you want to buy the Quark ?Fenix E21 is also a wonderful light .You can buy the Quark if you really really want to own it ,but as you said your parents won't allow you to buy the Quark ,so you must think more :)

I'm trying to figure out if I should "really really want to own it" or just settle for the cheaper E21. If it comes down to it I can always have my older brother order it for me.

Is there any reason there seems to be so much variance with the quality of Quarks?

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

Protip-get a debit card and a paypal account. Then you have freedom to buy whatever you can afford (Within the limits of the law, that is.). Just be careful, you might end up on a crazy shopping spree. Stay away from ebay. :eek:oo:

That said, I enjoy my quark AA^2 a lot more than my fenix LD20. Build quality is the same, and the quark has a big list of features the fenix doesn't. Same or lower price at $52.44 shipped, neutral white, moon mode is AWESOME (I use it every single day), sapphire coating, brighter, forward clicky switch, can take MANY different battery configurations (the fenix only takes ONE), lego-able, and superior warranty make the quark a clear winner in my opinion. A while back, we had a "which is better" thread with the quark AA^2 versus the Fenix LD20 or something, and IIRC the quark won with something like 65% of the votes to 35% of the votes. And remember, this is an LD20, which is even better than an E21.

So, my vote is for tactical quark AA.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like my flashlight UI simple and uncomplicated - easy to remember and less things to go wrong.

Which is why I avoid the Quarks and have owned a TK20 and an E21 - both Fenix.

I vote the E21 - but like everyone else has said, it really depends on your tastes and intended use.

Hell, I'd stick with a Minimag LED if I could find one worth half a dollar.

-Trevor

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like my flashlight UI simple and uncomplicated - easy to remember and less things to go wrong.

Which is why I avoid the Quarks and have owned a TK20 and an E21 - both Fenix.

-Trevor

The Tactical Quarks are so simple and predictable, almost boring after EDC'ing one for nearly a year!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got in on the first run on Neutral Quarks - The Q35A XP-E AA^2 tactical. I've wanted and craved more flashlights, but not for good reasons - just to have 'em. I've had no trouble worth mentioning with mine.