O-Rings

FlashlightKid

Newly Enlightened
I have two questions regarding o-rings.
First, would it be better to store nitrile o rings with silicone grease on them to prevent them from being exposed to ozone? This is for storage and not related to them being used in a light, and this still assumes that they are being stored in a ziplock. My thinking is that the main contributor to nitrile becoming damaged while in static use or storage is ozone, followed by high heat.
Second, has anyone here ever had a nitrile (most common black) o-ring fail that was installed as a static seal and was properly lubricated and not exposed to extreme heat or chemicals? I use the term "static seal" to indicate the seal on the head of a light for example, so it is not exposed to any sheering force such as the o-ring on a twisty light or a tail switch that is turned often.
I see viton has an unlimited shelf life but nitrile has a life of ~15 years. Although I swear I had some minimags that I never lubed and the orings were still in perfet shape for over the ~15 year mark.
I ask this because I upgraded some o-rings on my extreme III (similar to LF2 I think) to viton, but the smallest I could find was a 1mm width on the ring. This fit great against the lens and the twisty section. But this was too large to fit the head of the light, so only the factory rings provided will fit the light, so I hope to extend the life of these rings in storage as well as in use.
I know this seem kind of an odd question but I know a lot of us use these o-rings in our lights.
Thanks for all your responses!:grin2: