Movie Review - "Let Me In."

Monocrom

Flashaholic
:caution: Not Family Friendly.:caution:

This is the American version of the Swedish film, "Let the right one in." Can't compare the American version to the original, since I've only seen one of them. But I do know that the Director of the Swedish version was not happy that his film was re-made. In his opinion, remakes are for films that were crappy the first time around. "Let the right one in" was a huge hit with the critics.

For those of you who read my "Kick-***" movie review, a certain character in "Let me in" will be very familiar. The part of the young vampire is played by Chloe Moretz. And if you think Hit Girl was a disturbing character, well; Abby makes her look like Dora the Explorer.

"Let me in" features a young, pre-teen, female vampire named Abby who befriends a shy and deeply troubled boy named Owen. Taking place in 1983, the film tracks their friendship which is sometimes sweet, sometimes disturbing, and sometimes both at once. In fact, I've never seen a film before that struck such an incredible balance between scenes that were touching and disturbing. At one point, converging in a scene that easily could be described as a unique blending of the two. There is gore in this film. But it's only a touch over the top. You won't be sitting through scene after scene of severed heads rolling across the floor.

The film is not fast-paced. The disturbing elements come from the subtle tones in the film. When you scratch the surface, that's when the truly disturbing elements make themselves known. Half an hour after seeing the film, I grabbed a quick bite to eat, and that's when certain plot points and elements came to me. This film really makes you think. It's not mindless entertainment that leaves you walking out of the theatre with a sense of, "That was cool." (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

For example: Does everything happen by chance or is she manipulating the boy?

When you think you know, the film tosses you a curve that leaves you guessing.

Hammer Films is one of the production houses responsible for the American version being made. And if you remember those old Hammer horror movies, you have an idea of what to expect. Ironically, quite a few elements from Hammer's old vampire films are present in this one.

There is just a bit of nudity in the film, but not from Chloe Moertz. (Keep in mind that she's only 14 in real life.)

I won't give away the biggest, most thought-provoking twist in the film. Let's just say that the more you think about it, the more disturbing it really becomes. I will however say that . . . Pay close attention to the kitchen scene when Abby's dad is getting ready to go out.

This film is definitely worth seeing. (Keep the kids at home.)

When it's over, and you really start to think about what you've just seen . . . That is what makes this a great film.

If you like your vampires bad-*** with sword-slashing action, or you like them less manly with a glittering chest, or you like them to teach your kids how to count; then this film isn't for you. It deals with the not-even-remotely-close-to-being-cool-or-fun aspects of vampires. This ain't "Twilight." This ain't your little sister's vampire movie.

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
This is the American version of the Swedish film, "Let the right one in." Can't compare the American version to the original, since I've only seen one of them. But I do know that the Director of the Swedish version was not happy that his film was re-made. In his opinion, remakes are for films that were crappy the first time around. "Let the right one in" was a huge hit with the critics.

How can the original possibly be topped? The awesome sparse aesthetic, the way it was shot, the dialogue, the acting, editing, music... it was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Our infatuation with all things vampire is getting ridiculous. :sick2:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw the original, and to be honest my first thought was if the film would benefit from a Hollywood makeover. It was one of the best foreign films I've seen in awhile along with an original and far darker take on the Vampire genre', and yet rather frustrating.

Original Swedish version had haunting landscapes with minimalist camera work that would make Kubrick smile. However, Oskar was one of the most annoying child characters I've ever seen and the adults all tended to blend into an incoherent mess. Eli was the only character that seemed to make sense, and she was the most eccentric (for obvious reasons).

I'm actually glad for the remake, and reviews indicate the new version isn't just a bombastic, dumbed down version of the original.

Darvis

Enlightened
Interesting... I loved the Swedish version and agree it's one of the best of the genre out there, maybe the best. Probably one of the best love stories to boot.

Although I agree that the adults (and most of the kids) all seemed to be heavily dosed on Quaaludes or something... but the final scene makes up for it, much in the way the last 5 minutes of "Unforgiven" redeemed that particular film.

Monocrom: I had also read the book and I agree, the one thing the Movie does not make clear is the background of Hakan, which is ultimately the most disturbing thing about the whole story...

Anyway, I wasn't aware that an american version was made!!! I'll have to check it out and complete the "trilogy."

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Anyway, I wasn't aware that an american version was made!!! I'll have to check it out and complete the "trilogy."

Came out just a few days ago.

Only two minor things I didn't like . . .

Owen buys a traditional pocket knife, and tries to use it as a weapon. (Then again, Hollywood has always been happy to show knives as deadly weapons, rather than as tools; which a mini-stockman clearly is.)

The police detective in the film clears an apartment with a Colt 1911 .45 Auto . . . with the hammer at rest. Makes the character look like an incompetent moron.

Which is unfortunate, because his character helps to drive the story. Ironically, I found out after writing the review that the character of the police detective wasn't even in the original version.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
but the final scene makes up for it, much in the way the last 5 minutes of "Unforgiven" redeemed that particular film.

+100. The pool scene alone was worth the admission :thumbsup:

The moral dilemas set up by both films' though are facinating. What's instinct and what's choice, etc. Beats glittering vampires in the sunlight, that's for sure.

Darvis

Enlightened
Came out just a few days ago.

Only two minor things I didn't like . . .

Owen buys a traditional pocket knife, and tries to use it as a weapon. (Then again, Hollywood has always been happy to show knives as deadly weapons, rather than as tools; which a mini-stockman clearly is.)

The police detective in the film clears an apartment with a Colt 1911 .45 Auto . . . with the hammer at rest. Makes the character look like an incompetent moron.

Which is unfortunate, because his character helps to drive the story. Ironically, I found out after writing the review that the character of the police detective wasn't even in the original version.

Yeah, the police are never a factor in the Swedish version... It's been a while, but If I remember that scene correctly, it's the distraught boyfriend that actually goes into the apartment and not the police... to the same end, though... Hey, maybe he was carrying a Para LDA??!!! (Doubt it; another Hollywood :fail: )

Anyway, great review BTW!!! I'm glad you've gotten a few people interested in this film as I think it's great. I have not seen any of the Twilight films and probably won't, but I imagine they wouldn't quite have the depth of Let me (the right one) in... BTW, my wife HATED the movie but loved "The Descent" both of which we watched on the same weekend. I had read about them both after doing a search on Google for the "Scariest Movies" Go figure... I thought both were great, but Let the right one in really blew me away.

Now go watch the original and read the book!!!!!

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
+100. The pool scene alone was worth the admission :thumbsup:

The moral dilemas set up by both films' though are facinating. What's instinct and what's choice, etc. Beats glittering vampires in the sunlight, that's for sure.

Agree. One tends to fall into the trap of Eli being this 14 year old little girl, but she's actually hundreds of years old... Imagine the horrors she's endured either through instinct, or otherwise? And yes, the history with Hakan is there so, what does become of Oskar and was it manipulation or true love? Just a great story on all levels.

The romantic in me calls this one a love story though... :twothumbs

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Agree. One tends to fall into the trap of Eli being this 14 year old little girl, but she's actually hundreds of years old...

In the American version, they made both of them 12 instead of 14.

Her real age is never mentioned. Nor is the possibility that she's hundreds of years old. All that she says about her age is that she's 12. But that she's been 12 "for a very long time."

Brings up a big question . . . Does she have the mentality of a 12 year-old, or has she mentally matured over the years she's been a vampire?

She could be 12 on the inside as well. Or she could be a grown woman in the body of a 12 year-old girl. Which, if so, then takes the film into a more disturbing realm.

Latest posts