Expensive Lights and Short Runtimes

charliek

Enlightened
I've noticed something while shopping around for my next light- I see what seems to be the majority of those lights that cost in the hundred dollar range all seem to throw monster-powerful beams and have VERY short runtimes (around an hour and sometimes less). Seems like an expensive way to kill a lot of batteries.... Anyway- I'm looking for a light that will throw a "better than average" light beam (nice and smooth)and still give me some runtime- like 4 or 5 hours. I guess I'm just getting spoiled with these LED lights that never seem to need batteries. Anyone know a good Halogen or Xenon based lights with good runtimes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime and brightness are always found in inverse proportion to each other. It's the curse of the Flashaholics...

IF you're looking just for a "nice and smooth" beam with the same runtimes of "normal" alkaline incandescent lights, look for incandescents with textured reflectors.

Check out Tektite lights. The Tec 40 should suit your needs. Around 4 hours runtime, almost as bright as a Surefire E2, $20 or less retail.

charliek

Enlightened
Thanks Quickbeam The Tec 40 was actually on my list- I have a Tec 20, but the reflector is smooth- giving it an ugly beam. I am also considering a Stramlight Twintask 3AA - it seems to be a good compromise is size from my other choice the TT 3C (I don't think I'll like the Blue LEDs anyway)
I'm not crazy about the 123lithium cells- I have so many other lights that use AA.... and I have NiMH batteries in that size as well.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3AA TT is a good one, one of my most used lights. For some reason, I like the form factor. It's easy to hold, just feels good. With my TT's, I find I use the LEDs most of the time, so battery life is almost endless.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you don't mind the 123 batts, then maybe you could consider the UK 2L, about 4 hours (advertised) runtime, and equivalent, if not brighter than a 3D M*glite. Its very light and waterproof too.

Oh, by the way, I just picked up a Coleman 2AA (Aluminium general purpose light) from the stores just now, and it uses a Krypton bulb. Throw is not too bad, quite good I should say for a 2AA, as its brighter than my Mini M*g. Not sure about runtimes tho', just had it for less than a couple of hours... and it comes with a clickie tailswitch too! Model # is 5338-701XA if you're interested...

paulr

Flashaholic
Don't believe 4 hour runtime for either the UKE 2L or the PT 40, unless you use a low-power bulb in the PT 40 and give up a lot of brightness. Otherwise expect closer to 2 hours from either light. To get 4 or 5 hours of runtime with reasonable power output you need a C or D powered light. PT has a 4C dive light that might be a good choice.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Don't believe 4 hour runtime for either the UKE 2L or the PT 40, unless you use a low-power bulb in the PT 40 and give up a lot of brightness. Otherwise expect closer to 2 hours from either light. To get 4 or 5 hours of runtime with reasonable power output you need a C or D powered light. PT has a 4C dive light that might be a good choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paulr,

You're right about that. It's unfortunate that manufacturers pad runtimes. My tests show that you can count on at least 2:30 min functional runtime from the 2L. My averages were actually around 3hrs with a variation of 2:50 -3:20 hrs. The 2L is unique in its combination of brightness, tiny size and feather weight L: 4 3/8" WT: 2.6oz loaded. Tough as nails and 100% waterproof. With #480 bulb it's brighter than the TEK 40 which is much bigger and heavier, though the 2L's beam is narrower and not as smooth.

You can get 4-5hrs of functional light from the UK 4aa or Mini Q40, but only by using lithium AA's which can get awfully expensive because of Energizer's monopoly or near monopoly in this area.

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
I do believe that the new bezel shroud and carabiner clip has made the 2L heavier. Mine has the old clear bezel (yeah, there's some backwash) and no clip, and it weighs just a tad over 2 ounces loaded. I don't know if I have a 480 bulb, my light is maybe 5 years old. I guess I should look for a 480. I really like the 2L, even though I rarely use it these days due to having become a LED-head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

paulr

Flashaholic
By the way, Norm, do you have any runtime measurements for the PT Blast? The Blast has become one of my favorite compact lights but I think runtime isn't its strong point. Thanks.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a GOOD thread; I have a bunch or 2/3 cell CR123 "Tac" lights, I tend to NEVER use them because of the 50 min. plus or minus run time of durn near all of them. They are reserved for serious stuff.

I have gone to Luxeons, one watt minimum, five watt better, or the superb Twin-Task lights by Streamlight.

The difference in brightness between the 2L TTs, and the Scorpion, or SF 6P, is not much; and my experience with the 2 L TT verifies the 2+ hour run time with the Xenon. Factor in the very long run time with the LEDs, and you have a useable/affordable light that lasts a LONG time.

charliek

Enlightened
OK guys- you talked me into it- I ordered a 3AA Streamlight TT tonight...... Now with the Holiday upon us.... I should get it..... Maybe by next weekend?
Speaking of low run times- I have a Brinkman Legend LX that I keep for those "Special times" that I need a lot of light for a short duration. That light sucks down 2 cr123's in about an hour... but WHAT a light!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't reject a flashlight you like, just because it uses 123 cells. They allow a flashlight with powerful beam in a tiny package. A tiny package that your much more likely to have with you at any particular occasion than an equivalant D cell light.

Alot of people I know have a couple decent flashlights, but they are frequently never nearby when needed., their lights are always at home.

I wouldn't make them the mainstay of my flashlight setup, but I would never be without a small one, say the E1e or an ARC LS

Surefire sells a dozen 123's for $15, that's $1.25 a piece. A dozen Duracells from Costco is about $10-12. The power per pound of weight is excellent. They store a long time.

I would strongly urge you to consider one small light using 123's that you carry everyday, what we call here an EDC.

GregR

opps now I read the whole thread and see that you DO have at least one 123 light, never mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

charliek

Enlightened
Since that last power-outage we had here on the east coast, I've attached a Princeton Tec Blast to my belt with a carabiner..... I was stuck with my Photon III.... not that the photon isn't a great little keychain light.... it did help me to get a better light connected (hooked a 700VA UPS to a small flourescent table lamp).

paulr

Flashaholic
The Blast is a nice little light. You can also just stick it on the inside of your waistband with the integral pocket clip. That takes no pocket space, doesn't dangle and bounce around like with a carabiner, and it weighs so little you hardly notice it's there.

WHODYATHINK

Newly Enlightened
Do you drive your Lamborghini just to get groceries, or do you drive your Lincoln?? different flashlights, different purposes. I love my SF Z-2 (P-61) but would rather buy more flashlights than more batteries. (don't forget lamp assemblies, they aren't cheap either) So now I carry my ARC LSH, and take the Z-2 out on special nights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
By the way, Norm, do you have any runtime measurements for the PT Blast? The Blast has become one of my favorite compact lights but I think runtime isn't its strong point. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paulr,

The Blast is a great little light but I agree that short runtime is its weak point which is one reason I don't EDC it. Unfortunately I haven't runtimed it.

Re 2L weight, I posted an update to my "Handy size & weight chart for 32 Popular incandescent and LED Lights, and I measured pretty carefully but you got me curious so I'll weigh it again; hold on... (gets out Pelouse digital scale accurate to 0.1oz)...OK, it's 2.6oz loaded. The rubber shroud helps with light feedback and as a shock absorber, and the first thing I do when I unpack the light is get rid of the clip, though it could ome in handy if I wanted to attach the light to something.

The #480 lamp has the number 480 printed on the black outer reflector surface. It's very bright and centered but quite narrow and at times I actually prefer the more traditional, somewhat funky and unpredictable beam. Such a neat little light. After all these years there is still no other light that can match its combination of features.

Brightnorm

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another consideration for BRIGHT with decent run-time is the PT Surge. It's not as small as 123 based lights by any means, but it's brighter than a Legend LX, uses easy to find AA's, and should get you 2-3 hours of bright run time on 1 set (8) of batteries. I've gotten rid of the majority of my incandescent lights, but I won't part with my SF E2 or my PT Surge. I don't own any "megablasters" (Tigerlight, UltraStinger, MagCharger, SF M6 etc...), but for the incandescents that I do still have the Surge blows them all away! Inexpensive, waterproof, relatively compact, and blazingly bright for the $$...

PJD