Truck Light Conundrum

tomcat017

Enlightened
I was driving home early this morning, and came across a wreck in the woods. Long story short, I can't believe that I, of all people, couldn't find a flashlight. I was just driving a few minutes away, and didn't grab anything on the way out. So...dedided it's time to get a light just to keep in the truck.

All my lights use rechargables, but this one should run on CR123's. I was thinking about the G2, since the body won't get as cold in the winter. Thing is, I'd probably want to put a Malkoff in it, and I know there are some concerns about running those for extended times in plastic lights. Should I go for the 6P, even though it's metal? Or get something larger altogether? What say you, CPF?

jellydonut

Enlightened
Malkoff 'low' and 'low-low' modules run fine in plastic lights. Get a G2 and an M60L or M61L.:twothumbs

If you get a G3 you have a more substantial light to keep in the truck, longer runtimes and itll run unregulated on two AAs in a real pinch.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shame must be unbearable!

My main truck lights are a Minimus and M3T w/MN16 LA and a half full SC2. I have a Nuwai 3W as a give away and a 3D Mag w/LED drop in. If you have a "mature" light collection with lights that seldom see duty those are ideal for your vehicle.

I would get a good floody headlamp if I were you. Ever try to change a tire in the dark with a handheld?

kelmo

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks for the rec's so far guys - I definitely want something a bit bigger than a Fenix or a key-mounted light. G2 would probably be the minimum size.

Kelmo, 10-4 on the headlamp, that's a smart idea. And yes, I'm quite ashamed.

cm_mtb: I'm not familiar with the G2L. The only thing I can find now that's similar is the G2L LED, 120 lumens. Would a plastic light with a metal bezel be enough for the Malkoff dropin, and if so, does SF still make such a thing? It doesn't have to be a Malkoff, but I'm a big fan if his dropins -- and I'd prefer LED, in case it gets dropped on pavement....

Would anyone object to an aluminum light? The G2 was just an idea....

cm_mtb

Enlightened
cm_mtb: I'm not familiar with the G2L. The only thing I can find now that's similar is the G2L LED, 120 lumens. Would a plastic light with a metal bezel be enough for the Malkoff dropin, and if so, does SF still make such a thing? It doesn't have to be a Malkoff, but I'm a big fan if his dropins -- and I'd prefer LED, in case it gets dropped on pavement....

Surefire currently sells the G2L with a sealed bezel (120 lumens). Up until a few months ago, the G2L had the same bezel as the 6P and could use a P60 dropin. That was the 80 lumen G2L, using the SF P60L dropin. SF no longer sells that G2L, but you can get one on ebay or the MP. A Malkoff will be fine in a plastic bodied light as long as the bezel is metal.

Last edited:

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks cm - I think I might end up with a G2 or G3, and an M61L Malkoff. That way, I don't need a metal bezel at all. I don't think I'll need the full M61 brightness for a truck light anyway. I've never owned the L version of the Malkoff dropins, but I'm guessing they're no slouches. Probably on par with a SF P61, no?

cm_mtb

Enlightened
Sounds like a good setup to me. I haven't had the chance to use a Malkoff either, but I think 175 lumens for 5 hours would definitely make a great truck light. Like you said, it should be about on par with a P61.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If you get a G3 you have a more substantial light to keep in the truck, longer runtimes and itll run unregulated on two AAs in a real pinch.
Absolutely, great idea.

I had a G3 in my vehicle for a long time until I finaly got tired of the Nitrolon and went to an all-aluminum SF for max power handling. Instead of a lower-output module I just keep a lot of spare cells in my vehicle.

I would definitely recommend the 'W' versions of the Malkoffs.

Last edited:

motorwerks

Newly Enlightened
I would go streamlight Stinger of some sort the new LED ones are pretty damn bright. Just mount the 12v charger someplace. Its what I use in the truck and its never let me down. I mounted the charger to the bottom of my center console out of sight. Its always there when I need it.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a couple of G2's in my truck. I keep a G2L & a regular G2.

tomcat017

Enlightened
First things first though...I can't believe you didn't have an EDC on you... :nana:

Yea, it was terrible. I was using my cell phone for light, like the rest of the unenlightened population. :candle: I almost always have a Z2 with me -- but it's a little large to EDC sometimes, and I only ran out for a minute (I know, I know). Anyway, it won't happen again. :duh2: