A decent AA flood light

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I'm am currently interested in a flood light.

My usage:
The wife and I have been going on 30 minutes walks in the darkness of the early morning. We live far from town. When there is no moon there is NO light.

My only experience with an all flood light was a Zebralight H50w. That was floodier than than what would work. I've read about the Dereelight CLVH 14 NOHS, which would work if it were an AA light.
I think if it gives a decent flood at 10-15 yards I'd be good.

The hotspot on my Quark 2AA's is too narrow. And the iTP's 80 Lumens A3 is minscule.

10/18/10 Update:
After 5 emails Shiningbeam told me to go elsewhere. :ohgeez: So I did.

After 5 emails with DereeLight I just now order a:

1 DereeLight Javelin XP-G R5 AA powered, NOHS, 3 mode flashlight.
The lighting start up is Low-Medium-High.
The modes and stated runtimes are:
3 Lumens - 35 hours
60 Lumens - 3 hours
280 Lumens - 40 minutes

Can someome explain why the runtimes are so low compared to a Q2AA or Ld20?
I have my suspisions but I don't know quat :confused: about these things so I'll let those who know more than me state the reasons.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Am i to understand . . . .

You are saying that 80 Lumens is not enough ? ? ?

:confused:
_

Last edited:

henry1960

Enlightened
I would say the ZeBra Light SC51 WOULD BE SOMETHING YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK INTO....:sssh:

• LED: Cree XP-G Cool White (color temperature 6100-6500 K)
  • User Selectable Modes: 3 (High, Medium and Low). Each mode can be configured to one of the two sub-levels.
  • Light Output
    • High: H1 200 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 140 Lm (2 hrs)
    • Medium: M1 30 Lm (12 hrs) or M2 8 Lm (39 hrs)
    • Low: L1 2.5 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.2 Lm (16 days)
    • Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try some diffuser film on the Quark, if that isn't adequate, then get a Malkoff M60f and a good p60 host. (not AA I know, but great flood)

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that either the romisen rc-29 or the romisen rc-c6(if you get the extension tube from shiningbeam) is what you are looking for. Just get the upgraded version of either from shiningbeam, and if you want the extension tube to turn the rc-c6 into a 2xAA light, email the site(Bryan) and ask if he has them in stock.

Newly Enlightened
I'll vote Nitecore D11 + AW 14500

With that combination, it will produce relatively bright floody beam.

MK9

Newly Enlightened

_

The 80 Lumens was not the problem. The 120 degree flood is so excessive it was unusable for outside walks. This morning I used a 25 Lumen Inova X1. It was good for about a few yards. Any further than that was pretty much useless.

We like to identify the little critters from a distance we come across not just know they are there. The other morning we got within 10 yards of a skunk before we noticed it. :eek: A wee bit close for my comfort.

Last edited:

MK9

Newly Enlightened
What about the Fenix TK45?

Earthlight

That's a wee bit brighter and more expensive than I need. :eek:

I'm finding out that lumen ratings can be a subjective measurement.
For example my iTP A3's 18 lumen setting is brighter than my
Inova X1's 25 lumen. But the flood on the X1 is greater than the A3. The 4 lumen setting on my QAA2 is brighter the the A3s 18 lumen.
I'm still trying to figure out the nuances between manufactures' ratings. :confused:

I think I was happier when I thought maglite was the only game in town. :ironic:

Pericles

Newly Enlightened
You might want to take a look at the Quark RGB. You can ignore the pretty colors and just use the white light which has a very wide, even beam. The standard model will accept 2 x cr123 cells, or one 17670 rechargeable lithium-ion. I like that latter alternative. If you need even more runtime, you can get the 18650 body and use those cells. The U/I is a nuisance, but if you find your preferred light level for your travels, the memory function will take you to that every time.
Peri

Oops, you wanted AA. Sorry. "Nevermind."

Last edited:

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I would say the ZeBra Light SC51 WOULD BE SOMETHING YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK INTO....:sssh:

• LED: Cree XP-G Cool White (color temperature 6100-6500 K)
  • User Selectable Modes: 3 (High, Medium and Low). Each mode can be configured to one of the two sub-levels.
  • Light Output
    • High: H1 200 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 140 Lm (2 hrs)
    • Medium: M1 30 Lm (12 hrs) or M2 8 Lm (39 hrs)
    • Low: L1 2.5 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.2 Lm (16 days)
    • Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries.

You missed the "11° (3.8 feet at 20 feet) hot spot"

red02

Enlightened
I'm am currently interested in a flood light.

My usage:
The wife and I have been going on 30 minutes walks in the darkness of the early morning. We live far from town. When there is no moon there is NO light.

My only experience with an all flood light was a Zebralight H50w. That was floodier than than what would work. I've read about the Dereelight CLVH 14 NOHS, which would work if it were an AA light.
I think if it gives a decent flood at 10-15 yards I'd be good.

The hotspot on my Quark 2AA's is too narrow. And the iTP's 80 Lumens A3 is minscule.
Dereelight has interchangeable modules. Why not just swap out the stock module with a 0.9-4.2v that will work with 1xAA? You can get a custom one or from Dereelight themselves

With a 18500 extender you can even use 2xAAs if you want.

It should be fine at 5m...

MK9

Newly Enlightened

_

For some reason, even though it's rated at 80 lumens, it's not really a light that works well on hour walks. Also, with the A3 I'd be changing batteries everyother day. I'd prefer to change every other week instead.

The 22 lumens on my QAA2 works better than the 80 lumen A3. I'm still learning but I think the size of the head may have something to do with it. .550 vs .860 plus the depth the LED is recessed. I'll figure it out eventually.

lovecpf

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA mini is more floody (or even a Quark 2xAA mini). They are much more floody than a regular quark. Fenix LD20 is also a floody 2xAA light. Zebralight SC51 will be nice and floody and I thin kthat may be your best choice - but you would need to run it on Eneloop rechargeable AA batteres since you will get very little run time from an alkaline AA. I think the SC50 may be a good choice but I find it to be less floody than an XP-G emitter light.

MK9

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight has interchangeable modules. Why not just swap out the stock module with a 0.9-4.2v that will work with 1xAA? You can get a custom one or from Dereelight themselves

With a 18500 extender you can even use 2xAAs if you want.

It should be fine at 5m...

I sent Deree light an email. I'll report back when the results are in.