Change of Heart. Long and thin vs short and fat ... /flashlights/

jwalker497

Newly Enlightened
I've been pocket carrying a flashlight for about 3 years. I started out prefering short powerful lights. Thickness wasnt a concern, nor really a thought, so I ended up with quite a few CRs as they seemed to pack more punch. But now, after carrying one everyday, I've come to realize that for me diameter is far more important factor than length. Where I used to grab a CR123A, I now prefer a AA or AAA. I've also started to realize that length isnt really a problem as long as it's reasonable like the 2x version of the Preon. Having several options, I rarely grab one of those stubby CRs anymore, and almost always go for a AA or AAA. The difference between the thickness of the CRs as compared to the AAs isnt even that much, but to me it is noticeable and enough of an issue that I prefer the thinner models. Plus, they are cheaper or more readily accessible, not that the CRs arent, just that a AA/AAA are everywhere. Just curius if anyone else had this paradign shift and/or experience?

PS here are some of my favorite to carry, what are yours?

Preon I and II
Nitecore EZAA
Maratac AAA and AA
Nitecore D10.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: Change of Heart. Long and thin vs short and fat

I carry a variety of lights, but must admit that the short & fat ones typically get left at home.

Currently carrying my Nitecore EZ AA. But I also like my Fenix LD 05, and my hybrid Preon II model (with Preon I tailcap). There's a LED Lenser T7 in silver close by. But that one is more long & fat. :)

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been carrying my RAW for more than 1 year as keychain light. I gets more use than all my other flashlights combined.. :) One day I decided to carry a fenix LD10 instead and it felt so uncomfortable.. So as keychain light short and fat but for EDC/Pocket, long and thin of course.

Lumenz

Enlightened

I did the exact opposite. I used to only carry AA and AAA lights with me. But after discovering the P7 suspension clip, I didn't mind the girth of the CR123A flashlights so much. Hanging the CR123A light from my pants pocket makes the light less obvious.

But if I were to just drop a light in my pants pocket, I would definitely go for something thinner.

HarveyRich

Enlightened

I have the Quark MiNi 123 and by and large find it just too fat for my jeans pocket. The MiNi Cr2 fits much better, but the itP A1 EOS is only 13 mm thick and 68 mm long. It really fits in the pocket well given how thin it is and works just great when using 10440 li-ions.

So, bottom line, I tend to use the itP most of the time and the MiNi Cr2 (with li-ion batteries). Of course, I have a really small Lummi Wee on a keychain. These lights have met all my need for EDC lights and are quite powerful for most everyday (or night) circumstances.

Thin is good, and small is great when coupled with thin. Of course, some prefer short and thick, but the MiNi Cr2 meets the short and relatively thin criteria.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only light that I carry every day is the plastic keychain light that they gave me when I bought some other light.

When I do carry a light (for no specific purpose) it's a (1) AAA ITP A3 but I still like the size/performance trade off of a (1) CR123 light.

In reality, other than the plastic keychain light (plastic is good because it doesn't wear a hole in my pants pocket) I either use the ITP A3 or for a real general purpose light it's a 6P clone using (1) 18650.

oops

Newly Enlightened

You are not alone. I also have migrated to thinner lights for pocket carry. I started by trying to pocket carry a CR123 based light; felt like I was carrying a rock in my pocket - not by weight but by bulk, short & fat was uncomfortable to carry. Now its only AA or AAA for my pockets: LF2XT, EZAAw (which my wife just confiscated, so now I'm looking for a replacement with a button/no twistie). It is amazing what a difference such a little bit of extra diameter can make.

purelite

Enlightened

At first I was confused as to what this thread was about:eek:

eric_wolf

Newly Enlightened

I have found that when I am in business attire I tend to have a AAA light (fenix LD01, Illuminati Ti, or now the 4Sevens Revo). However, when I am in casual clothing and I can drop a leatherman in my pocket, etc....I tend to go for the Novatac or RA Clicky.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to carry a 1x123 light but I now prefer my Quark AA-Tactical. For me, the dimensions of the 1XAA are the perfect balance between fitting in my pocket but being long enough to work with in my hand. My AA2 Tactical feels a bit much for me though, perhaps the Mina AA2 would be good as well.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

I started with a love for AAA lights because they are small and thin,then bought my first 123 cell light which is a little pocket rocket but just does not fit as a edc for me as I like to shirt pocket them,I then started on AA cell but find them not a comfy fit in my pocket because of the seat belt in the car so back to square one and wanting more AAA cells again but at least my collection grew.:thumbsup:

Cannot wait to buy the new AAA cell Fenix EO5,will be on sale in the UK by the end of the month my vendor has mailed me.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

I carry an ITP AAA on my keychain. Anything bigger (even my Zebralight H501w) goes on my belt.

Canuke

Enlightened
Re: Change of Heart. Long and thin vs short and fat ... /flashlights/, of course :)

I split the difference.

I recently tried switching from a Dereelight 2xCR123 CL1H to a Preon 2xAA for EDC, and I found the Preon to fit nicely into the pocket -- and that was the problem. It fit so well that I didn't know it was there... which meant that when it fell out, I didn't know that it WASN'T there until it could have been too late. The additional length also made falling out more likely when sitting in the car etc.

I've since switched to my warm white Quark with the 18650 body. It's still comfortable, but substantial enough for me to quickly ascertain that it's still there, reducing my chance of leaving it behind somewhere. Its girth and knurling also serve to enhance retention, where the Preon's smooth finish and sleekness made it more likely to get eased out.

This pertains to my left front jeans pocket; for those of you using shirt pockets or back pockets, you may have different challenges.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Change of Heart. Long and thin vs short and fat ... /flashlights/, of course :)

I tend to prefer longer, slimmer designs myself. The Jetbeam BK135A is a very nice little light and I strongly considered one but they aren't available in a neutral tint.

I regularly EDC a ZL SC50w+ and a QAAw; the ZL is nice and floody while the Quark is throwier. The Quark also doubles as a helmet mounted light when biking at night.

I don't have any AAA lights, but have been mulling a penlight. The new Quark Mini AA^2 is tempting, but I am put off by the twisty switch so have been contemplating a Preon 2 nw.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Jetbeam BK135A is a very nice little light and I strongly considered one but they aren't available in a neutral tint.

I was under the impression that there wasn't a neutral option because they only came in a neutral tint?

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately i have been carrying a liteflux lf2xt, very comfortable pocket carry light with great beam and tint. I will probably start carrying a shortened by(MaSha) very nice by the way) Q-mini aa running on half aa lion....:thumbsup:

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
With winter approaching, and coats and jackets becoming daily attire again, my CR123 lights will probably work their way back into my EDC rotation. But this summer taught me that "thin is in". The smaller the diameter, the better! I found myself carrying and using my Fenix LD15 far more than any other light (16.6mm). It just slips into a jeans pocket and disappears.

I recently bought a Nitecore D10 SP R2 (19mm), installed the clip, and tried carrying that around in a pants pocket for a while, but it just didn't work. I find that my limit for pocket carry is a diameter of 17mm or less.

In a heavy coat pocket, however, give me my Surefire E2DL!